Update: Amazon cancels plans for NYC HQ2 campus

1 hour ago, Anathema- said:

Even the Virginia project would be better further south, like Richmond area. There are plenty of tech workers who would love/prefer reverse commuting. 

Yes the Richmond tech hub with employers such as Capitol one and.... That rounds out the Richmond large tech employer community. No thanks.

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Yes the Richmond tech hub with employers such as Capitol one and.... That rounds out the Richmond large tech employer community. No thanks.

I'm thinking people that live in Woodbridge/Dumfries/Stafford/Fredericksburg/Lake Anna/etc. that already commute up to Arlington/D.C.

4 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

I'm thinking people that live in Woodbridge/Dumfries/Stafford/Fredericksburg/Lake Anna/etc. that already commute up to Arlington/D.C.

Amazon doesn't want those people. They want young fresh cs grads they can churn and burn every two years. These people would need job prospects after Amazon and Richmond can't deliver that.

2 hours ago, 2user1cup said:

Are hipsters weird? I thought they always seem somewhat conformist in their selective weirdness.

Does that make me a hipster?

Real hipsters are authentic - they are actually weird people (me and my wife included). We don't fake our weirdness in clothing styles or decor tastes, it's just things we genuinely like.

Fake hipsters are inauthentic - they do it because it has now been branded as "cool" to dress, look, act, or style yourself a certain way that would be considered by others to be inherently and intentionally "different". These people have commodified "hipster" culture and these are the hipsters everyone hates, me included. Being weird because you just want to be different is lame. Being weird because that's just who you are and how you express yourself, that's just you being you and that's cool and different generations/groups of people end up gravitating toward different cultures authentically. Then there are the bandwagoners. I appreciate those who are into things seriously and genuinely because their personalities organically led them to it but those who are just tourists, they suck regardless of what culture they are adopting/appropriating.

1 hour ago, 2user1cup said:

But how can you be self aware about being weird and be genuinely weird.

Because you've been told a thousand times that you are your whole life (in my opinion, of course). Anyone can see through an affectation. That's why it's important to call out the fakes and phonies. Going full Holden Caulfield here. :p