Update: Amazon cancels plans for NYC HQ2 campus

16 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

And I can't even vote against Northam in 2021 because VA doesn't permit consecutive terms for its governors. 

There was a candidate on my ballot this year named John "Low Taxes" Doe (the John Doe obviously being a placeholder, only the "Low Taxes" is important here). You could lobby whomever the Democratic gubernatorial candidate is to change his name to John "Not Northam" Doe.

[edit] oh god damnit

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Shit like this is what people latch onto when talking themselves into not voting because "both sides".

Yeah it’s not surprising that these deals were confirmed a week after the midterms.  

Somehow the only thing de Blasio and Cuomo agree on is giving money to amazon

10 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Yeah it’s not surprising that these deals were confirmed a week after the midterms.  

Somehow the only thing de Blasio and Cuomo agree on is giving money to amazon

After the midterms would be something. But in Nashville's case, the letters from the State and City of Nashville outlining the incentives Amazon will receive are dated November 2. 

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/wpln/files/201811/amazon_nashville-and-davidson-county-agreement.pdf

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/wpln/files/201811/amazon_state-of-tennessee-agreement.pdf

22 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

A few bullet points, my good man?

Essentially, businesses can receive tax credits for wages they pay up to a living wage (as determined by the local cost of living). Some of the lost revenue is recouped through personal/sales taxes, as well as savings on social programs. It would provide incentive to pay over the minimum wage, and if you made it partially redeemable, you could also give small businesses the opportunity to better compete with large corporations in the labor market. 

46 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Are there any tax incentive schemes that you guys do like? I have some affinity for tax increment reinvestment zones.

I think in general I would say that I like tax incentives that help small businesses in general, rather than specific sweetheart deals to hugely profitable billion/trillion dollar multinational companies.

1 hour ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

I was talking about the NY and VA deals but did the public know about the Nashville deal before the midterms?

They knew about the chase, but after the transit plan failed, the whole thing was basically assumed to be gone at that point. 

Yesterday's announcement was a COMPLETE surprise to the public. 

And it was a surprise to another company that had a news conference planned yesterday announcing their move to Nashville that would bring 500 jobs. They got completely overshadowed too.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Are there any tax incentive schemes that you guys do like? I have some affinity for tax increment reinvestment zones.

I haven't thought about this too much but like I said I think somewhere in this thread, from what I understand tax credits specifically for construction of the new office space is potentially worth it since the money goes right back into the local economy (labor and materials) in a much more straightforward way than something like promising to bring jobs into the area does.

51 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Essentially, businesses can receive tax credits for wages they pay up to a living wage (as determined by the local cost of living). Some of the lost revenue is recouped through personal/sales taxes, as well as savings on social programs. It would provide incentive to pay over the minimum wage, and if you made it partially redeemable, you could also give small businesses the opportunity to better compete with large corporations in the labor market. 

What do you mean by "partially redeemable"?

38 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I think in general I would say that I like tax incentives that help small businesses in general, rather than specific sweetheart deals to hugely profitable billion/trillion dollar multinational companies.

I always find discussions around small business interesting partly because people hold wildly different opinions as to what qualifies as a small business. If someone says to me that a mom-and-pop store with 2 non-family employees is a small business, I am almost certain to agree. If they said the same about a 5-store chain with 35 employees, I am far less likely. Usually when tax exemptions are written they tend to...inflate how large small business can be while still qualifying. I know people who work for family-owned businesses with 50-100 employees and they continue to say they have it hard as a small business. If you are employing 50 or 100 people you are no longer in the same class of citizen as someone who works for a salary.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

So the part I needed you to explain is "redeemable", not "partially". :p

When a tax credit is 'redeemable', you can receive the balance of the credit less your tax burden; so if you receive a credit worth $5,000 but your burden is only $4,000, you receive the remaining $1,000 as a refund. Some tax credits are redeemable, others are not. Credits that are partially redeemable have a cap on how large the refund can be (so whether the excess credit is $1,000 or $10,000, the refund is the same amount).

8 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Ones that obligate the business to the stakeholders (particularly the local community) for the period of the agreement would be fine by me, depending on the details of course. Mere existence isn't enough.

10 hours ago, Chris- said:

No joke, I'm seriously thinking of drafting a policy proposal for the living wage credit and shopping it to representatives. I don't even know if that's a thing, but god damn if I wouldn't give it a shot.

But the living wage credit idea would really not be effective if the jobs that will be created by one of these large tech companies will already be well above the living wage, no?  I haven't followed this particular story about Amazon HQ very closely, but these are not menial warehouse distribution jobs, but higher paying technology jobs, like engineers, accountants, and such, no?

18 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

But the living wage credit idea would really not be effective if the jobs that will be created by one of these large tech companies will already be well above the living wage, no?  I haven't followed this particular story about Amazon HQ very closely, but these are not menial warehouse distribution jobs, but higher paying technology jobs, like engineers, accountants, and such, no?

I'm talking about the idea of a living wage credit in general, not for any one specific company/development. Moreover, if a company is already paying a living wage then yeah, the credit wouldn't be as impactful. That seems pretty obvious.

1,000 public school employees to be evicted from offices due to Amazon plan

Hundreds of public school staffers will lose their offices in New York’s Amazon deal, the Daily News has learned.

Education Department officials confirmed Thursday that the city’s embattled Office of Pupil Transportation and other important public school functions will be evicted from their longstanding headquarters in Governor Cuomo and Mayor de Blasio’s controversial plan to bring Amazon to the city.

The massive Education Department building at 44-36 Vernon Boulevard will be a part of the site that will serve as Amazon headquarters in Long Island City, schools spokesman Will Mantell said.

While everyone is upset with Amazon, Marginal Revolution pointed out that their giveaway in NYC isn't even close to what the city is paying for Hudson Yards. While not all the money is a complete giveaway, the city will spend $5.6B to get the new "dynamic neighborhood" up and running.

I've personally always been a fan of big, ambitious city projects like Hudson Yards, but my understanding of it was that it was privately financed. While that's partially true, it seems they got a lot more public money than is generally known.

From the Gothamist:

hudson-yards-graphic-update-01(1).jpg

I feel like the city got screwed on how much they're spending on the parks and the tax breaks that probably didn't need to be given out. I think spending money to expand the subway into a new area is generally money well spent, and the same goes for public schools, but even some of that is questionable. The subway has such a well documented economic benefit that I feel like if you're spending billions to build a dense new neighborhood, you should be paying to extend the train yourself.