Update: RIP in Peace, Anthem

skillzdadirecta

I've seen enough to know with these kinds of games that +IF* the will is there, they can get much better over time. I fear that EA executives are looking at Apex Legends costs vs profit and then looking at Anthem's C/P ratio and saying, "You know Carl, perhaps with Anthem's poor performance and the public's backlash against it, its time to use that ditch out back again, hmmm?" :( Its unlikely they would kill a 6 year production without giving it a year to "righten the boat", but at the same time I wonder if they'll be given the resources and support to do so. 

As a PM in my work life, I know how a project can take on a reputation (fortunately not one of my projects!) that does it no favors and watch as it dies via negative group think as apposed to a more rational set of cost/benefit analysis efforts. 

18 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I've seen enough to know with these kinds of games that +IF* the will is there, they can get much better over time. I fear that EA executives are looking at Apex Legends costs vs profit and then looking at Anthem's C/P ratio and saying, "You know Carl, perhaps with Anthem's poor performance and the public's backlash against it, its time to use that ditch out back again, hmmm?" :( Its unlikely they would kill a 6 year production without giving it a year to "righten the boat", but at the same time I wonder if they'll be given the resources and support to do so. 

As a PM in my work life, I know how a project can take on a reputation (fortunately not one of my projects!) that does it no favors and watch as it dies via negative group think as apposed to a more rational set of cost/benefit analysis efforts. 

Basically what happened with Battlefront II and Battlefield V. 

The fact of the matter is "Live Service" games are a joke. In enables the pubs/dev to not commit to any real post-release content. Or even release games in a early access build like Anthem and BFV and then tout patches as some sort of "free update".  Whereas when they  sell a DLC pack, they are now committed whether the game is performing well or not. 

This is going to be a trend for a while until they hit the right formula of player retention while extracting as much money from them as possible. Lets face it, no one is buying shards or whatever they are for the stuff in the Anthem store.  

However, I still cant really complain because I have over 100hrs in SWBFII and BFV and 60Hrs so far in Anthem. I am certainly getting my monies worth...I just wish I was confident in post-launch support. 

The real tragedy is freeplay being the most enjoyable while being the worst for drops, spent an hour and a half in it yesterday got a single MW, spent an hour this morning doing my epic contracts and a single stronghold, and got 7 MW and 1 legendary.  The world events are literally the same thing as the contracts, and its not like there is any cooperation in the contracts with the people i'm matched up with, mostly just blowing shit up, and if a guy falls i pick him up.  The stronghold i did this morning this guy was knocked like a dozen times, had to of been his first GM1 stronghold.

8 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

The real tragedy is freeplay being the most enjoyable while being the worst for drops, spent an hour and a half in it yesterday got a single MW, spent an hour this morning doing my epic contracts and a single stronghold, and got 7 MW and 1 legendary.  The world events are literally the same thing as the contracts, and its not like there is any cooperation in the contracts with the people i'm matched up with, mostly just blowing shit up, and if a guy falls i pick him up.  The stronghold i did this morning this guy was knocked like a dozen times, had to of been his first GM1 stronghold.

Team composition varies so wildly that  A strong hold is either a breeze of an absolute slog depending on the team. I've noticed that a concentration of one jav type (like 3 of one jav on a team) is usually a bad sign as well. 

16 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Team composition varies so wildly that  A strong hold is either a breeze of an absolute slog depending on the team. I've noticed that a concentration of one jav type (like 3 of one jav on a team) is usually a bad sign as well. 

I'm a fan of mass storm teams because they primer everything for my colossus to blow it the hell up, i don't even bother with my own primer abilities cause they suck. The flame wall is the only decent one because it doesn't disappear, has long distance, and a large area of effect, but i still prefer my shock thingy cause i can still shoot, move, and use other abilities while it does its thing, especially when storms are freezing everything it causes so many explosions.  Hell its the only ability that i have that doesn't take me out of flight mode, and even keeps me in flight mode while using my F ability.

I actually feel I have my best drops in Free Play.  Had 2 Legendary and 4 MW in like 30 minutes of Free Play yesterday.

Starting GM2 teamwork is much more necessary for the harder content.  Really need to focus on enemies as a team in most cases, can’t just be doing your own thing.

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I largely main a Ranger so maybe its a different story with the Colossus, but its tough when I see three storms or three colossus on a team. I'm trying to max out my Colossus now though so I'll give that whirl this evening. 

Colossus do their best work right on top of enemies, once you get decently geared taking hits is nothing plus the best defense weapon MW gear isn't even really an option, 35% heal on a AOE instant shot ability and i'm pretty sure its 35% per enemy it hits, leaving you with just an option on your ordinance launcher which is mostly shots you have to line up, then they have a flight delay and a minimum distance, only the electric abilities are instant with one being an AOE directly around you but slows you to a walking speed but it primes and the other one is essentially passive with a long range and detonates itself every 3rd shot with the MW.

I also haven't found a use for the taunt, doesn't seem to work for long or at all on certain enemies and reducing everyones damage taken for a time seems a lot more useful.

3 hours ago, atom631 said:

This is going to be a trend for a while until they hit the right formula of player retention while extracting as much money from them as possible. Lets face it, no one is buying shards or whatever they are for the stuff in the Anthem store.  

They really need to step their store game up if they want anybody to buy anything.  The emotes are boring with rare times to even use them. I don't care about cloth/metal textures for the javelins.  I haven't spent any coins on anything my whole way through the story mode. Nothing really exciting to buy. They should be like Overwatch and have a ton of different skins/armor for each javelin. There are only 4 javelins lol. Not like there is 15 different characters they have to support. 

Yeah, I think they were so afraid of the MTX backlash they held back on what they are charging for cosmetics and what they are gonna be putting in those chests. 

I've seen people rambling about how this game is a Billboard for MTX, and its like, hell I want to spend money on cooler looking armors but they wont even let me.  They are pretty much going out of their way to make sure people don't spend money yet.

Also had another Legendary drop in Free Roam, first World Event.  But I had a really weird crash that basically froze time on me.  Hopefully I didnt lose it....

Legendary Searching Glaive... +225 Damage, but rest is pretty meh.

14 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

They really need to step their store game up if they want anybody to buy anything.  The emotes are boring with rare times to even use them. I don't care about cloth/metal textures for the javelins.  I haven't spent any coins on anything my whole way through the story mode. Nothing really exciting to buy. They should be like Overwatch and have a ton of different skins/armor for each javelin. There are only 4 javelins lol. Not like there is 15 different characters they have to support. 

yup. i bought the Mass Effect vinyl...because I had to. And I did buy some diamond plate textures. but I still have 120K coins. I havent really had a need to craft any MW stuff either. Any MW crafting ive done the embers i got from salvaging shitty MW drops. 

11 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I’ve played Anthem since launch and nothing else. I have really been having a great time with this game. Such a shame it was ambushed from the start. A lot of gamers missed out on this game. 

Same for me. I finished the story and with everything else I did plus the enjoyment I got out of it, I easily got $60 of fun out of it. 

To be fair Looter Shooters also just arent for everyone.  I'm gonna assume a vast majority of fans of the genre gave it a shot.  I can't imagine fans of Looter Shooters have totally quit on it completely or skipped it.  It's gotta be tweaked a lot for sure, but its got a lot to like.  If fans stuck with Destiny and Division, I'd have to imagine once they get this cleaned up a bit more plenty will still be around playing it.

• Like 1

This game...this game sure does not always make it easy to love it. 

Started to play one of my legendary contracts and the “server shut down” in the middle of the expedition. So I sign back in, and launch the same contract again. Play all the way through it, and after the game shows me how much alliance XP I got the game completely freezes. I have to close the game completely. Fortunately I got all my loot, including the MW item. 

Finish all all three of my legendary contracts and decide to try the Scar stronghold for the first time. Pretty easy until we hit the boss. We wipe once. Ok. Try again. We go for a bit, I notice a guy down near me, so I go to repair him. The button won’t prompt. I keep trying, start taking damage and have to bail. I see another team member down so I go to repair him. Again no prompt. Then the last ally goes down. I try to repair him. No prompt. SHIT. So I just allow myself to die, we wipe, and we try again. 

We really got out stuff together that third time and got it done pretty quickly. The game tried to butter me up by giving me 5 MW on that Stronghold. One of them was finally a LB ability. 

Here's a theory on why killing "all the mobs" might be getting people more legendaries than "event" enemies; it's not confirmed or anything (yet) mind you, but the guy seems legit enough:

In short, there may be a sort of penalty being incorrectly applied to loot drops during events (or maybe it's intentional since you get guaranteed drops? Read the whole thing for more context and info.) so that if you want legendaries, your best bet (by far) is to kill all the stuff. But seriously, read the whole thing.

This 100% seems true.  I’ve said it before the scorpions in the tunnels I’ve had more Legendary drops from than chests but everyone skips it.  Got s Legendary from a random brute in free play in like half hour other day.  

Dumb logic for sure but seems to probably ring true for now.

Whelp that's it for me. I've had random disconnects from servers 3 times in 5 hours of play. Its cost me 7 MW drops and god knows how many on my kill tally. Sometimes it lets you rejoin the session and other times it gives you sorry, can't join because its a private session messages. This game, though I really enjoy it, needs some serious help. 

8 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Whelp that's it for me. I've had random disconnects from servers 3 times in 5 hours of play. Its cost me 7 MW drops and god knows how many on my kill tally. Sometimes it lets you rejoin the session and other times it gives you sorry, can't join because its a private session messages. This game, though I really enjoy it, needs some serious help. 

You lose your items when you get Disconnected?  Ive had game freezes that boot me and I cant get back into server, but they've always been in my inventory after the fact.  

Yesterday I had that Legendary and like 4 MW in a Free Play i got dropped from and couldnt get back in, but luckily I kept all of it.  I wouldve been enraged.

2 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

You lose your items when you get Disconnected?  Ive had game freezes that boot me and I cant get back into server, but they've always been in my inventory after the fact.  

Yesterday I had that Legendary and like 4 MW in a Free Play i got dropped from and couldnt get back in, but luckily I kept all of it.  I wouldve been enraged.

Yup, all gone! PC over here, for reference.

Just now, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yup, all gone! PC over here, for reference.

Yeah that defnitely sucks.  Ive read that on Reddit, but haven't personally had it happen.  I guess maybe mine aren't drops from server but Xbox just booting me to dash or something.  That'd be enough to get me to give up on it til it gets ironed out more.  I always think I should just quit out of free play when I get a Legendary just to make sure.

Just now, JPDunks4 said:

Yeah that defnitely sucks.  Ive read that on Reddit, but haven't personally had it happen.  I guess maybe mine aren't drops from server but Xbox just booting me to dash or something.  That'd be enough to get me to give up on it til it gets ironed out more.  I always think I should just quit out of free play when I get a Legendary just to make sure.

Yeah, I love the game so I'll definitely be back once they fix these issues. I personally always drop when I get to three MW on a single run, and would definitely do so directly after getting a Legendary. But then again, you aren't losing your gear, just your play instance, so maybe not! :p

I dunno the guy just sounds lucky, during my freeplays i'll spend over an hour killing just about everything i see and get squat, while i'll do the scar stronghold for 20 minutes and walk away with 4-5 MWs and the only legendary i got was from a scar out of there, and i've killed the tunnel scorpions a bunch.  I mean i'll definitely start killing the scorpions everytime now, but i've definitely cleared tons of trash mobs in freeplay only to get nothing.

I've tested it already, and he is right.  I always knew clearing out trash mobs guaranteed the higher leveled enemies show up after a few waves, I just never knew they guaranteed an item drop.  So you'll still get plenty of crap drops, but their loot tables are higher and therefore the chances of Legendary drops are definitely increased. 

I always wondered why killing all those Legendary enemies in the Stronghold never dropped crap so I basically didn't bother with them in Freeplay.  Now that i know they always will drop an item I'll def be killing them more often.

I did about an hour of Freeplay just now and got 4 MW and 1 Legendary from it.

And basically go into all Caves, cause typically theres a instance of those waves of enemies... 

I definitely feel I get way better loot in Free Play.  

The stronghold for me feels like its all about the chests with little chance from the mobs.  The boss is essentially a waste cause no chance at a Legendary.

I feel I can hit many more World Events and mobs as well as collect resources and work towards unlocking my Gear Masterwork Blueprints in Freeplay.  

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

I definitely feel I get way better loot in Free Play.  

The stronghold for me feels like its all about the chests with little chance from the mobs.  The boss is essentially a waste cause no chance at a Legendary.

I feel I can hit many more World Events and mobs as well as collect resources and work towards unlocking my Gear Masterwork Blueprints in Freeplay.  

so wanna do some freeplay dungeons tonight? sounds like thats the best bet for legendarys.