Update: RIP in Peace, Anthem

skillzdadirecta

On 1/17/2019 at 4:28 PM, Mr.Vic20 said:

I am actually holding off on the Div 2, to see how much Anthem pulls me in. If it still has me enthralled a month on, I might just wait on Div 2 until later in the year. 

I am thinking the same. I may get Div 2 sooner if my friends want to get it and jump in, but they are not interested, or we are satisfied playing something else we may just hold off. 

My main concern is that every single gameplay video I have seen looks identical to every other one. 

1) Fly somewhere

2) Hover, or land

3) Shoot for a few seconds

4) Fly somewhere else...

I'm not saying it won't be fun, but 3rd-person games tend to require less skill when they are shooters (simply due to the aiming mechanism being simpler), and the environments all look pretty generic. I'm also concerned about the overuse of effects and the way-too-high contrast. I get why they do it (it looks "cool"), but over saturation tends to wear on you after a while.

I do like the loot system though, as well as the matchmaking for all elements of the game.

Probably what will decide my purchase (and someone let me know if these things have been announced) are:

- Customizable FOV on PC

- 144hz support on PC

4 hours ago, Biggie said:

Overall did they enjoy the game?

I enjoyed it a lot but I was testing on PC.  Don't know about console, only thing they said to me was it wasn't so hot on console.  Either way we'll find out soon enough.  I think the open beta is end of the month.

20 minutes ago, eggydoo said:

I enjoyed it a lot but I was testing on PC.  Don't know about console, only thing they said to me was it wasn't so hot on console.  Either way we'll find out soon enough.  I think the open beta is end of the month.

Played fine to me but I played it on the X1X... I know other folks played it on the console too. Not sure what wasn't so hot about it.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, eggydoo said:

Can you tell me if the FOV is adjustable on PC? Also, was it framerate-locked, or is it possible to get up to 144fps+?

33 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Can you tell me if the FOV is adjustable on PC? Also, was it framerate-locked, or is it possible to get up to 144fps+?

I honestly can't remember :(.  I want to say yes to the FOV.  I don't recall any framerate settings in the alpha at all.

Graphically it looks good, from a gameplay perspective, I don't know yet.  I liked Destiny 2 until the loot grind hits, and suspect this will be the same.

So really for me, assuming I buy it, I just need a solid solo player experience that will last me about 20-30 hours that is fun, with a decent story that pulls me through, and I will call it worth while.  If it goes longer than that, great.  If it goes less than that because I find it boring and can't be bothered, then I will say it sucks. 

Time will tell.  

For me it's definitely about the loot chase, if it offered up a solid amount it loot with many ways to build your character I can see myself getting hooked although Destiny 2 still has me good. But Im still not sold on the style they've went with, pumped to try the demo but the vids on the overall atmosphere while the land looks cool still doesn't draw me in like a Destiny or Division, but we will see