Update: RIP in Peace, Anthem

skillzdadirecta

12 minutes ago, ARZ said:

And some of the conversation choices are pretty damn difficult to decide. There've been a number of instances where I'm not sure what to do....the most recent that come to mind are the old artist lady and the spy with the spy husband.

Yeah i have to wonder if folks are really playing the game as more than a shooter for those who are saying it doesn't have interesting characters or Bioware style story choices.... I haven't gotten to the spy storyline yet and I think the old lady you're talking about is the storyline I just finished

Spoiler

Was she the one with the dead son that she mistakes you for?

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah i have to wonder if folks are really playing the game as more than a shooter for those who are saying it doesn't have interesting characters or Bioware style story choices.... I haven't gotten to the spy storyline yet and I think the old lady you're talking about is the storyline I just finished

Hide contents

After reading this I was wondering what gender character everyone chose to play with? I went with a female because in Destiny I also went with a female. 

Spoiler

Reason I ask because when I talk to the old lady she mistaken me for her daughter. 

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Hide contents

Yeah, that's the one @skillzdadirecta

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

After reading this I was wondering what gender character everyone chose to play with? I went with a female because in Destiny I also went with a female. 

Hide contents

Reason I ask because when I talk to the old lady she mistaken me for her daughter. 

Went male.

Curious how/if any story pieces are very different because of that. Didn't consider that before.

26 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Oh those story threads were so good. The spy husband was one of my favorites little arch’s in the game. Oh and that old lady. So many tough dialog choices. 

And with a few of them, I think it's pretty clear they aren't quite finished, which is why i hope every once and awhile we'll log on and you'll see some new conversation bubbles to keep these little stories going.  Hopefully some with missions attached.  Its why i dont mind these Games as a Service over a stagnant single player story.  I think they will have a lot more freedom to keep this world alive and growing, rather than beat the game and move on to the next.  I want to see where a lot of these threads and stories go.

I'm sure the first month or so is going to be dedicate to get bugs and the big issues with the game fixed, but hopefully once they nail all that down, they can start to focus on more content content content.

Digital Foundry:

Visuals:
- Base PS4 presents more smoothly than the demo.
- PS4 Pro: 1080p mode and 4K mode still present. 30 FPS cap enforced on all versions (including base). No more unlocked frame rate.
- HDR support has been restored.
- Dynamic res confirmed across all consoles. (including base PS4)
- Can vary from 80% to full buffer (whether it's 1080p on base PS4 or 4K on mid-gens). PS4 Pro likely relying on checker board rendering.
- CB rendering commended as 'outstanding' with CB evidence only visible upon zooming in.
- Texture quality is a match, however in some instance X shows higher quality art.
- In some select scenes, Pro has reduced shadows compared to X, but mostly they're same.

Performance:
- Frame rate gap between 4K modes on Pro and X is much closer but Pro is still a touch smoother than X
- Pro 4K mode vs Base PS4: Performance is very similar, 30 FPS target but neither is 100% locked with small dips.
- Standard PS4 more heavily impacted from streaming issues.
- Big explosive effects can cause bigger dips on Pro compared to Base.
- Pro's 1080p mode is effectively locked through out. Performance dips from 4K mode are gone.
- Entering new areas can cause streaming related hitches even at 1080p, but much less so than other PS4 modes.
- Pro @ 1080p "only console model where I (Rich) wasn't bothered by hiccups"
- "It's the best way to play Anthem on consoles, but not visually the most pleasing"

Ranking:
- Base Xbox continues to be the worst performing version. Base PS4 is third.
- X and Pro are trade offs, X has visual advantage but Pro has smoother performance (in 4K mode).
- Pro's 1080p mode is Rich's favorite way to play the game on consoles.

How do you aquire new armor for your javelin in this game? I assume it's all just cosmetic related. I'm playing Colossus and I can only buy 1 version of arms/legs/torso.  For a game like this I thought they would fill the store with all sorts of different armor pieces to buy. Trying to suck some money out of you. Do you get missions or anything later on where you get rewarded with cool armor pieces? 

3 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

How do you aquire new armor for your javelin in this game? I assume it's all just cosmetic related. I'm playing Colossus and I can only buy 1 version of arms/legs/torso.  For a game like this I thought they would fill the store with all sorts of different armor pieces to buy. Trying to suck some money out of you. Do you get missions or anything later on where you get rewarded with cool armor pieces? 

You've found all there is to find, buying the legion of dawn version of the game gives you some as well i think, but other than that i haven't found any other armor in the game.

8 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

They are adding Chests at the end of Strongholds which will contain cosmetics to earn, I think on a seasonal basis?  They talked about it on a Stream, you'll earn Keys doing Daily Tasks or something then at the end of each Stronghold there will be 4 chests to open, and if you or a member of you party has keys, you can open the chests.  They also said if your team opens chests, you'll also that the reward from their chest.  The system is still being worked on, but that is the basic idea.

I also believe they'll be adding Challenges that reward different cosmetics are rewards as well, as they've always stated that.  The 4 Titans Challenge rewarded a Vinyl.  

I think maybe with all the backlash regarding MTX's, they wanted to keep that stuff limited at launch until they get a handle on everything. 

Just hit 30! :mdancing:

ran my first GM1 regular contract. It went well. I’m still only at 386 power so i had to kite a bit but I didn’t die. 

I hope MW gear starts dropping. I got those 2 guns around 25-26 and nothing since. The pistol is amazing but the sniper sucks. Need some new shit! 

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

Theres a lot of shit they don't tell you in this game or isn't clear at all, like i just found out the gear symbol means it only works on that item, and the little javelin icon means it works on all your equipped stuff.  Also +speed reduces cooldowns and doesn't actually increase your speed, lol.

There's all kinds of information and tutorials in the codex within the game that explains most of this stuff.

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

There's all kinds of information and tutorials in the codex within the game that explains most of this stuff.

You'd think so, but no there isn't, at least i can't find it, had to google all of it.  They explain some things like combos, but nothing about what any of the inscriptions on loot actually do.  The section on loot literally just says you get loot from doing things basically.

7 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

You'd think so, but no there isn't, at least i can't find it, had to google all of it.  They explain some things like combos, but nothing about what any of the inscriptions on loot actually do.  The section on loot literally just says you get loot from doing things basically.

Hmmm.. I've found that a lot of that stuff is either buried in the codex, or it's a codex entry that needs to be unlocked I.E. found in Ft. Tarses.

The game does have a serious information issue. Your game should at least have detailed tooltips for each stat. Bonus points for examples and extreme bonus points for little thumbnail videos with side by side comparisons of high stats vs default stats, which I think I've seen in maybe one or two games, tops?

I have been running through Legendary Contracts like they were nothing on GM1 until today.  Now I'm getting wrecked, but using my Ranger which was my weakest suit.   They had a Fury in each of the 3 I tried to run.  Those things pretty much one shot me everytime.

2 story missions in a row glitched. Ridiculous. Finished opening the tombs, whatever the mission after that was ended up giving me a blue screen error on my ps4 right at the VERY end. I think i got the xp for it but no loot came through. Next mission was really long where you do trials or something trying to get that super duper javelin suit. Right at the end a cutscene got stuck, audio glitched and kept looping over and over with nothing on screen.  Sat there for 4 or 5 minutes hoping something would happen. I started mashing all the buttons and suddenly the cutscene started playing and mission ended thank god. 

26 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

At what level should I start attempting GM difficulty? I'm level 29 now. Should reach 30 by tomorrow.

I'm not there but I believe the game recommends gear level 400+ for GM1 and some would say you should be well above that even.

I'm still lvl 25 but got my first MW item in Tyrant Mine. Thunderbolt of Yvenia, a marksman rifle. Holy crap this thing shreds! Causes lighting bolt explosions on hit and just tears through shields. This completely changes my opinion of guns in this game. 

43 minutes ago, Anzo said:

I'm still lvl 25 but got my first MW item in Tyrant Mine. Thunderbolt of Yvenia, a marksman rifle. Holy crap this thing shreds! Causes lighting bolt explosions on hit and just tears through shields. This completely changes my opinion of guns in this game. 

Until last night (got a sweet LMG!) thunderbolt was my main gun for my ranger, now its my #2 as its a great sheild popper with its 33% chance to proc lighting. 

15 hours ago, noey jerd said:

Still on the fence about this game. I don't know what to think. 

Some videos make it look like it's a good game with a few flaws that could be patched but some vids make it out to be a buggy cash in mess.

Obviously results may vary, but with 20-30 hours into the game I have only had 1 major issue with the game. My game completely crashed, but as soon as I booted the game back up I was able to drop back into the mission still in progress. 

For me me the biggest design problems with the game are...

-too many loading screens. Load to the city, load to change gear, load to mission, load into cave/dungeon, load to respawn, load to be teleported to team up ahead. 

-very strict tether system. You can get a message you’re too far from mission and about to be teleported as soon as you load into the mission or what feels like 5 feet from the player most ahead. 

-having to wait indefinitely to get picked up by a team mate in respawn restrictive areas. You have to wait to either get picked up, the entire encounter is completed, or the entire team wipes. 

Overall, if you like the looter genre you may really like Anthem. But if you do not like games like Diablo, Destiny, or Division, then this one probably won’t win you over either. I love this game, and am really looking forward to seeing how it grows. 

• Like 1

The city's layout doesn't help the load times any either, all of the NPC conversations happen as far away from your suit as possible, as well as the mission givers, contracts at a minimum should all be near your suit.  The unable to revive thing is also stupid, i think it was in the heart of rage a guy went down and we couldn't revive him, so we just moved on to the final part of the fight and the game tether teleported him to us anyways.

One of my biggest gripes right now is freeplay is the most fun, but its far less rewarding than doing the spider mission over and over, and i'm not even max level and forced to do randomized content or grind an instance repeatedly.

I'm getting nicely geared up by doing a variety of content.  The Legendary Contracts, Free Play, and only a small handful of Strongholds.  I seem to get a few Masterwork drops each Freeplay sessions I run, so it always feels worth while.  

Now that you can craft for cheaper as well, I'm going to need to make some Harvesting Builds to maximize Masterwork Components I come across in Freeplay.  

The Build Diversity in this game is really good from what I've seen.  Each suit has a few different ways you can play it, and couple that with the different Perks you'll get with Mastercrafts, there really are so many options.

I am lvl 24, just did the first strong hold for the first time. Got my first Epic drops. 

I have done everything on my board except a mission for Metthias. We got him the thing, which did a thing with funny results, now have to do another thing. 

Been playing exclusively as a Storm. Probably will play some of the other Javelins once I finish the story and am working on getting MW and Legendary items. I am amazed when I see Other storms finish a mission classified as “soldier” instead of artilary. I almost never use my guns. It’s faster for me to freeze enemies and hit them with a huge fireball. Maybe they’re trying to get kills for blueprints.