Update: RIP in Peace, Anthem

skillzdadirecta

Dragon Age 4 becomes BioWare's next big focus, as Anthem loses its lead creators

In recent weeks, three key members of Anthem's lead development team have departed from work on the project, including Executive Producer Mark Darrah, Lead Producer Michael Gamble, and Lead Director Jonathan Warner, with only the latter intending to return to the game following a personal sabbatical.

There's nothing surprising or unusual about this as their roles for Anthem were essentially completed upon its release.  Still, it probably would've been a good idea for them to remain on the project at least through in the initial phase of the game's roadmap.

Well Jonathon Warner was the one that was thrown under the bus the most in the Kotaku article.  He’s always the one taking the “leave of absence”.

Mark Durrah was brought in very late to salvage it, and he’s now lead on DA4 I think.  

9 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

Lol DA4 is going to be a live service game as well, goodbye bioware. 

For me the problem is not live service, it’s the lack of scale by release, which seems to be often be due to a complete “start over” 18 months before release. 

It it really seems like the only difference between a live service game and a solo/coop game is the live service game gets semi-regular updates/patches, has PVP multiplayer, and a steady stream of micro transaction cosmetic items. 

Borderlands 2 if it were released today as it did all those years ago, with the same level of support and everything, it too would feel a little like a live service game, only missing is PvP, and semi-regular QOL/balance patches. 

Dragon Age could be a live service game and still be a full fledged Dragon Age game. 

I can't say for sure if I'll buy their next game since we haven't seen it yet.  But there is no way I'll preorder it and I'll wait a minimum of 2 weeks after release to get a good impression of how it turned out. They have shown they don't deserve preorders. 

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-anthem-update-adds-legendary-missions-first-lo/1100-6467241/

This new update, Update 1.2.0, implements several quality-of-life changes in Anthem and also begins to set things up for the game's upcoming major content drop: the Cataclysm.

Speaking of the Cataclysm, according to a blog post, publisher EA will be providing a "first look" at what the event entails during a livestream on May 30 at 1 PM PT / 4 PM ET / 9 PM BST. EA did not provide exact details about what will be shown during the livestream. You can watch the show on either Twitch or Mixer.

Most of Update 1.2.0 is geared towards quality-of-life changes and bug fixes. However, the update makes improvements to Anthem's features, creatures, and javelins. The feature changes are minor. Three Emerald Abyss Legendary missions have been added for, for example, and you can now fast travel to striders while in Freeplay. For enemies, Dominion Storm, Frost Brutes, Scar Hunters, and Scar Grenadiers have all been nerfed or made slightly easier to identify and kill. Javelins see updates across the board, with the base damage of a dozen different Ranger, Colossus, Interceptor, and Storm Gears all getting damage boosts.

• 2 months later...

Anthem doesn’t need an overhaul, it needs to be put out of its misery (VG247)

Forget about the Cataclysm, the reportedly very disappointing endgame activity that finally rolled out recently. At this point, the fact that it’s reportedly not very good barely even registers, because people stopped hoping months ago. New content is not a way forward. That’s your parents trying to make sure that you have a good birthday because even they can feel what’s about to happen, but then they fuck it up by getting into an argument in the parking lot after dinner.

• 2 weeks later...

Seven months after launch, Anthem dumped in EA/Origin Access (Polygon)

The version available through EA Access and Origin Access’ “vault” of titles is the Standard Edition, although those who subscribe to the PC-only Origin Access Premier tier of service will get the Legion of Dawn edition, which delivers extra armor for each class of Javelin (the mechanical battle suit that player characters wear).

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://www.ea.com/games/anthem/news/update-160

Another seasonal update.

This one has some Time Trials, which I was always interested in.  I'll hop on to check it out. 

The armor set rewards last season were actually pretty cool, but grindy.

If this seasons arent as bad I might put some time in to get them, counting on a reboot soon.  

BioWare is officially redesigning Anthem

The team is going to work to “reinvent the core gameplay loop with clear goals, motivating challenges, and progression with meaningful rewards,” according to the official blog post. The team will also work to preserve the game’s flying and combat mechanics, which many players enjoyed.

16 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Anything can be redesigned given the time and money. My biggest question is will they relaunch it as a free to play game. They almost have to right? That seems like the only way you are going to get people in the door again. 

No Man's Sky has done a pretty good job of making their game fun while still charging people money. I guess Anthem does have microtransactions though.

I wouldn't count it out either way.