Update: RIP in Peace, Anthem

skillzdadirecta

Played a lot this past weekend.  Outside of a couple of crashes, It was a pretty good, bug free experience.

I'm level 18 and haven't quite finished the story yet.  I'll say right now that I've enjoyed the story.  Not so much the main arc as the Monitor isn't exactly setting himself up yet as villain of the year, but it's all the different characters that you meet.  A lot of them have their own little multi part arcs and they all have their own little quirks.  The voice performances are quite good and quite frankly, most of them are pretty likable.  I feel that anyone calling the story garbage is clashing with the expectation of a typical Bioware RPG story in a game that isn't an RPG.

Too many people go into games like these with all sorts of expectations.  It really is a stupid thing to do and will only set yourself up for disappointment.  I had no expectations other that hoping they nailed the moment to moment gameplay and that it was fun.  They did, end of story.

Also, the world is insanely detailed.  Don't forget to dive into the water and explore that shit.  I dropped into some and it looked like maybe 5 metres deep.  I saw a resource and plucked it, turned around and swam towards what look like an edge.  I looked down and holy fuck, it must have gone down another 50 metres or more with structures and everything.  I can see where the six years went to when you really pay attention to what they've built.  Remember that Bioware doesn't have 1000 people to throw at this, only a few hundred.

I also think that the freeplay is way more engaging than Destiny or the Division ever were.  it looks like from their road map that they'll be building on that quite a bit.

Ended yesterday, supposed to be back in march, seems odd to end the event before a week after the game was released, i'd imagine most players are still doing the main storylines to really be bothered with freeplay.  I ran into one of them during the tombs missions and ended up just leaving after i couldn't do much damage and lost a bunch of health cause i didn't know how to fight titans yet.

Honestly I can list pros and cons for every game in genre. Anthem is no different and has no more an abundance of cons than any of the others too. 

I know some who have been reviewing Anthem do not like looter shooters. I know that is the case with Whatculture Gaming’s before you buy. He doesn’t like any game in the genre. 

Honestly there’s not much each game in the genre has as a strength that is far and ahead over the others. 

Anthem, exploration/movement, quick power cool down. 

Destiny, shooting. 

Division, seamless world. 

Man, if we could somehow get all of those strengths in a single title...:drool:

49 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Still don’t get the hate.  

Compare it to games of the same genre and I think it’s as good or better than most. It’s better st something’s and worse at somethings, but far from a 4/10 which means it’s downright broken and unplayable to me.  

A game that gets a 4 out of 10 damn well better be a unplayable pos. He’s a joke and disservice to the gaming community. 

I'm seriously not getting the review scores for this game... like not at all. I've played much worse games that scored higher. This game isn't even bad a while it isn't a proper RPG Bioware style, it still has an interesting story and setting and great characters and gameplay. Plus it looks amazing... I just don't get it.

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Honestly I can list pros and cons for every game in genre. Anthem is no different and has no more an abundance of cons than any of the others too. 

I know some who have been reviewing Anthem do not like looter shooters. I know that is the case with Whatculture Gaming’s before you buy. He doesn’t like any game in the genre. 

Honestly there’s not much each game in the genre has as a strength that is far and ahead over the others. 

Anthem, exploration/movement, quick power cool down. 

Destiny, shooting. 

Division, seamless world. 

Man, if we could somehow get all of those strengths in a single title...:drool:

Borderlands...

To be fair, I don't disagree with anything Joe said and his 4/10 isn't "dogshit," it's "slightly below average" (as he said in the video) as he tends to try to stay on a proper 1-10 scale, not a 7-10 scale like IGN.

His is probably one of the fairest reviews around. He's also one of the few that didn't rate this lower than Fallout 76. Though that only scored a 3/10, which compared to this seems ludicrously high. I'd say that game was SIGNIFICANTLY worse than this in almost literally every way. This is a good game that has a lot of problems that keep it down. Fallout 76 was a bad game on every level at its fundamental core and nothing worked right. 

2 failed attempts at tyrant mine on hard this evening. Both times at the platform waiting for the signal. Did they bump the difficulty from the beta? Cuz I did it twice on hard and the level cap was 15. 

I’m level 26 now and both instances there were dudes in there that had power levels in the low 200s, which tells me either they are running alts or were below level 20.  Either way, they should put a min on hard strongholds so it doesn’t ruin it for the other players. Lots of wasted time. 

I did get my first masterwork piece on a hard level contract. A level 40 Wyvren Bltiz sniper. It has a unique perk of increasing weak point damage while hovering. Kinda weak but it looks cool. I think it’s best suited for a storm who can hover for a while. Nothing tops the devestator in this game for me so far. The explosive shot with aoe wrecks mobs and does massive damage to elites and yellow bars. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I don’t take issue with people not liking the game, but this everything is hot garbage or the new messiah is just foolish. The internet is a Roman coliseum though so I suppose this mentality makes sense.

So true. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm seriously not getting the review scores for this game... like not at all. I've played much worse games that scored higher. This game isn't even bad a while it isn't a proper RPG Bioware style, it still has an interesting story and setting and great characters and gameplay. Plus it looks amazing... I just don't get it.

Me either man. It’s super addictive. 

34 minutes ago, Chris- said:

If a game requires overly-long reddit posts and Xbob explaining how to play it 'the right way', it probably sucks and isn't worth the plastic its printed on. Hard pass.

To be fair Bob does that with every new game. :lol:

36 minutes ago, atom631 said:

2 failed attempts at tyrant mine on hard this evening. Both times at the platform waiting for the signal. Did they bump the difficulty from the beta? Cuz I did it twice on hard and the level cap was 15. 

I’m level 26 now and both instances there were dudes in there that had power levels in the low 200s, which tells me either they are running alts or were below level 20.  Either way, they should put a min on hard strongholds so it doesn’t ruin it for the other players. Lots of wasted time. 

That's the hardest part of that Stronghold.  I beat on hard a couple of times now... the thing is a couple of the squad should focus on the ramp leading up the platform and keep the insects from swarming. The other members should focus on the glowing electric orbs that drain your shields. If you ignore them, they will make this phase of Stronghold harder.

2 hours ago, Chris- said:

If a game requires overly-long reddit posts and Xbob explaining how to play it 'the right way', it probably sucks and isn't worth the plastic its printed on. Hard pass.

I need to explain how to play every game because people are fucking bad at having fun. :sun:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chris- said:

To be fair, Warframe is a very well-received game that based on my experience requires several hundred hours to learn to "play the right way."

44 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That's the hardest part of that Stronghold.  I beat on hard a couple of times now... the thing is a couple of the squad should focus on the ramp leading up the platform and keep the insects from swarming. The other members should focus on the glowing electric orbs that drain your shields. If you ignore them, they will make this phase of Stronghold harder.

I actually find that easy, I find the opening sections with the Scars the hardest part.  The main issue I see is people not realizing you can kill the lightning orbs that will wreck you fast if you dont take care of them.  1 person shooting those and 2/3 on the ramp should be able to handle it. 

If you ever are stuck and need help, DM me here if someone drops or something, if I'm around i can hop on quick to help.

Just now, JPDunks4 said:

I actually find that easy, I find the opening sections with the Scars the hardest part.  The main issue I see is people not realizing you can kill the lightning orbs that will wreck you fast if you dont take care of them.  1 person shooting those and 2/3 on the ramp should be able to handle it. 

If you ever are stuck and need help, DM me here if someone drops or something, if I'm around i can hop on quick to help.

Oh I was just giving hims some advice... I didn't have any real issues with that part once I realized you could shoot those orbs :p

6 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

were the orbs there in the demo? Cause i remembered thinking how easy that section was and how it was like impossible to fail and just a waste of time, but then in the retail i was like, whats killing me up here.

Orbs were in the demo but I don’t think they packed as much a punch. Also, in the demo if you ignored the scars and just completed getting the echoes, it wouldn’t make the bugs not spawn. Did that once on normal. 

Both instances I was handling orbs and trying to also manage the bugs bc my fucking teammates were down instantly!!