Update: RIP in Peace, Anthem

skillzdadirecta

Whatever, I have 35+ hours into the game and loved it.  Bioware and EA are invested in this regardless, and I think I maybe playing this for years to come.  

People were dumping on the game before it ever released because of the Early Access stuff, which EA has been doing the past 3/4 years with EA Access.  For whatever reason that graphic just caused a firestorm.   People upset Pre-Orders dont give you Early Access. 

Then there was a leak of the Micro-transactions and tons of hate on that.  The Micro-Transactions that are cosmetics only that are supposed to help get us all the free future content for free. 

If this was from any other Publisher, I have a feeling things would be very different. 

I even saw some streamer saying he and his friends want this game to fail cause this game is the reason Mass Effect is dead.

Its just too bad.  

2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Just cleared level 26 ans snagged my first two masterwork weapons! :sun: I'm sick as a dog right now, but the silver lining is that I have time to flying around in powered armor and make things go boom! :daydream:

Hey, making things go BOOM is Crackdowns line!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I finished the "Main" Storyline last night.  about 30ish hours in maybe? Lvl 23.  I played almost all of it solo on hard though, even if I had matchmaking on, because I'm like 30 hours in on Xbox and I'm guessing there aren't too many others that did the EA Access workaround, no one else was on to match with.  

Wont post anything cause spoilers though.

I still have lots of contracts and side character missions to continue to work at, and will.  I'm Lvl 24 now, Epics are dropping frequently, but thats really just based on Level it seems.  Looking forward to getting Masterworks to drop, as they do seem to all have cool unique perks on them.  

The cool thing is, once you find a certain weapon/gear piece/component of a certain rarity, you can then craft that item going forward to try to get better rolls.  I think thats a cool addition.

I'll finish up this last EA Access Trial I have then wait til Friday.  Looking forward to playing with others on here though.

• Like 1

How the hell is everyone beating the story at such low levels and with so few hours? Are you guys just doing the main missions or something? I feel like I've got like nearly 30 hours in and while I know the end is near (I'm working on the quests to make crafting the item for the mission cheaper) I'm already level 25. Did I just do a bunch of extra shit or something? Everyone is finishing at roughly level 20.

16 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

How the hell is everyone beating the story at such low levels and with so few hours? Are you guys just doing the main missions or something? I feel like I've got like nearly 30 hours in and while I know the end is near (I'm working on the quests to make crafting the item for the mission cheaper) I'm already level 25. Did I just do a bunch of extra shit or something? Everyone is finishing at roughly level 20.

I've done just about all side missions I've had, just had one contract left available when I went to finish the final mission.  I just wanted to wrap up that main quest line cause it was blocking the damn Launch Pad.  

Like all Bioware games though, its dictated by how many times you return to the Fort to progress conversation trees with the NPCs.  So the more you leave and comeback the more side missions and contracts will pop up in between the main story.

2 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Whatever, I have 35+ hours into the game and loved it.  Bioware and EA are invested in this regardless, and I think I maybe playing this for years to come.  

People were dumping on the game before it ever released because of the Early Access stuff, which EA has been doing the past 3/4 years with EA Access.  For whatever reason that graphic just caused a firestorm.   People upset Pre-Orders dont give you Early Access. 

Then there was a leak of the Micro-transactions and tons of hate on that.  The Micro-Transactions that are cosmetics only that are supposed to help get us all the free future content for free. 

If this was from any other Publisher, I have a feeling things would be very different. 

I even saw some streamer saying he and his friends want this game to fail cause this game is the reason Mass Effect is dead.

Its just too bad.  

That seems to be Skill Up's position and this sentiment is what I meant earlier when I said folks had turned on Bioware. Andromeda didn't leave a good taste in folks mouth and this game seems to be heading for the same fate.

5 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Ahh, I came back after every mission and talked to every one every single time. Guess that'd do it.

I did as well, but maybe I played for longer play sessions than you so you loaded out and in more?  Or you did more Free Play than me?  If I did the contract and Agent mission first that was available to me we'd probably be pretty in line with each other.  Have you done Strongholds? I had only done 1.

10 hours ago, Moa said:

I'm going to prematurely nominate Anthem for the Rainbow 6: Siege award of this generation, meaning a game released to unrealistic expectations and near universal criticism that rapidly garners community goodwill to the point that everyone forgets about the initial negative coverage

If Destiny 1 couldn't shake that, I doubt this will.  Too much of the core experience is tied to progression systems for people to forget.

Just now, JPDunks4 said:

I did as well, but maybe I played for longer play sessions than you so you loaded out and in more?  Or you did more Free Play than me?  If I did the contract and Agent mission first that was available to me we'd probably be pretty in line with each other.  Have you done Strongholds? I had only done 1.

I think I did the Stronghold with the giant spider thing like 4-5 times? It kept popping up as the only thing in my expedition log for a while for some reason -- and instead of checking what my actual objective was I'd just be like "ehh alright, this one's pretty fun so why not" and I guess that might've gotten me like... maybe one level, but I can't think of anything else that would be contributing 5 levels worth of experience.

Got my first masterwork today despite not being done with the story, some shotgun, I don't think this was the name... but I wanna say it was called Pump Daddy? Papa Pump? Whatever it was it was hilariously named.

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I think I did the Stronghold with the giant spider thing like 4-5 times? It kept popping up as the only thing in my expedition log for a while for some reason -- and instead of checking what my actual objective was I'd just be like "ehh alright, this one's pretty fun so why not" and I guess that might've gotten me like... maybe one level, but I can't think of anything else that would be contributing 5 levels worth of experience.

Got my first masterwork today despite not being done with the story, some shotgun, I don't think this was the name... but I wanna say it was called Pump Daddy? Papa Pump? Whatever it was it was hilariously named.

I was Lvl 23, like a tick under Lvl 24 when I finished the story, so we aren't too far off.  I also ran essentially all of it solo, so I didnt get the bonus XP from the other Javelins.  You get bonus XP from other players stuff they do. 

But yeah most people arent doing the convos with the characters each time they go back to town, or at all, or just prioritizing the main story over the side stuff, so I can see Lvl 20 being the average finish.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

No, it was.  But people didn't forget.

Maybe not, but my point it it didn't ultimately matter. Same with The Division... and it's interesting to me to see folks who rode with both Destiny and The Division be so eager to shit on Anthem (Not talking about you... I'm talking about the youtuber Skill-up) Hopefully Bioware and EA can weather the storm and I can get some decent time out of this game and we at least see their plans come to fruition.

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That seems to be Skill Up's position and this sentiment is what I meant earlier when I said folks had turned on Bioware. Andromeda didn't leave a good taste in folks mouth and this game seems to be heading for the same fate.

Skill up is an intelligent guy that does well thought out reviews and videos for the most part.  He absolutely has a serious bias in this case though.  Also, he can go fuck himself for his snappy little thumbnail.  He doesn't need to do that with the subs he has and announcing to the interwebs that the game is garbage is not only inaccurate, but will definitely affect sales.  He is also not the only one that does this.  You only have to look at Arekkz for the correct way to do it.

I just want Bioware to get the same chance that Bungie had with Destiny (even though year one of that game should have killed the fuck out of it) and Massive had with the Division.  So fuck all of the youtubers that feel the need to wave that flag to the whole world instead of just putting a video up with their impressions where they can say whatever the fuck they want.  Again, with the subs they have, they don't need to do that.

1 minute ago, Man_of_X said:

Skill up is an intelligent guy that does well thought out reviews and videos for the most part.  He absolutely has a serious bias in this case though.  Also, he can go fuck himself for his snappy little thumbnail.  He doesn't need to do that with the subs he has and announcing to the interwebs that the game is garbage is not only inaccurate, but will definitely affect sales.  He is also not the only one that does this.  You only have to look at Arekkz for the correct way to do it.

I just want Bioware to get the same chance that Bungie had with Destiny (even though year one of that game should have killed the fuck out of it) and Massive had with the Division.  So fuck all of the youtubers that feel the need to wave that flag to the whole world instead of just putting a video up with their impressions where they can say whatever the fuck they want.  Again, with the subs they have, they don't need to do that.

I had the same thought regarding Skill Up and Arrekkz... ironically they're like two of the ONLY guys whose videos I will watch. Skill up does put together very well thought out videos but his biases do show from time to time and he's gotten called out in the past about it. I also agree that I want Anthem to get the same chance The Division and Destiny got but the community seems DETERMINED to not let that happen.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Maybe not, but my point it it didn't ultimately matter. Same with The Division... and it's interesting to me to see folks who rode with both Destiny and The Division be so eager to shit on Anthem (Not talking about you... I'm talking about the youtuber Skill-up) Hopefully Bioware and EA can weather the storm and I can get some decent time out of this game and we at least see their plans come to fruition.

They have too much invested in it not to stick with it.  

Issues with Destiny was also the content was so non existent at Launch.  Story was bare bones, only took a few hours playtime to get through, and after that there was nothing to look forward to until the DLC, which was Paid DLC.   So 3 months of nothing new on the horizon other than some Quality of Life patches.  

It seems Anthem may have already started some of their daily events cause when you boot today it has a message of Outlaws attacking outposts and go to Freeplay to help defend them.  It might just be advertising regular daily events, or maybe its an example of the special daily stuff they'll have going on.

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Actually, it did matter.  I doubt Activision and Bungie would have divorced if Destiny 1 met its high expectations out of the gate.  The franchise would be much bigger if it were, in its own way, regarded as the new Halo.  Both sides wanted that success.

Fortunately, it all ended positively for Bungie.  With Anthem, the internet smells blood due to EA's studio closure history, people angry about Bioware not sticking to their guns, etc.  Then you have fanboys of other games piling on.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I had the same thought regarding Skill Up and Arrekkz... ironically they're like two of the ONLY guys whose videos I will watch. Skill up does put together very well thought out videos but his biases do show from time to time and he's gotten called out in the past about it. I also agree that I want Anthem to get the same chance The Division and Destiny got but the community seems DETERMINED to not let that happen.

Bioware just needs to continue what they're doing by being paper thin transparent, keep their heads down and constantly improve the game.  People appreciate the fuck out of that shit, which Bungie has RELUCTANTLY done because they had to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Man_of_X said:

Bioware just needs to continue what they're doing by being paper thin transparent, keep their heads down and constantly improve the game.  People appreciate the fuck out of that shit, which Bungie has RELUCTANTLY done because they had to.

Exactly.  The game is good, as long as Bioware is always vocal and continually communicating with the community, long term this game is going to be fine.   Its too good with too much potential that any reasonable gamer wont just pass up on it cause some Youtubers are bashing it. 

I also feel the Looter Shooter fan in general is just always eager for the next big thing.  So even if they want to skip it cause EA or bash it, they'll cave and give it a fair shake.  

31 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Actually, it did matter.  I doubt Activision and Bungie would have divorced if Destiny 1 met its high expectations out of the gate.  The franchise would be much bigger if it were, in its own way, regarded as the new Halo.  Both sides wanted that success.

Fortunately, it all ended positively for Bungie.  With Anthem, the internet smells blood due to EA's studio closure history, people angry about Bioware not sticking to their guns, etc.  Then you have fanboys of other games piling on.

Did you mean Destiny 2? And we don't know what led to Bungie's and Activision's split so you're speculating... despite the naysaying, Destiny is HUGE and has a fervent, dedicated fanbase and to say otherwise is just not realistic. I suspect that Bungie and Activision may have split because of the direction  they saw that franchise going in the future and Bungie's desire to chart its own course... I'm just speculating because again, we don't know.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Did you mean Destiny 2? And we don't know what led to Bungie's and Activision's split so you're speculating... despite the naysaying, Destiny is HUGE and has a fervent, dedicated fanbase and to say otherwise is just not realistic. I suspect that Bungie and Activision may have split because of the direction  they saw that franchise going in the future and Bungie's desire to chart its own course... I'm just speculating because again, we don't know.

We do know. In the recent earning call Activision said that because they did not own the IP, they could not monetize it like they wanted to (like COD for example). They had already said previously that it wasn’t performing to their financial expectations so easy to allow the split. 

2 minutes ago, Anzo said:

We do know. In the recent earning call Activision said that because they did not own the IP, they could not monetize it like they wanted to (like COD for example). They had already said previously that it wasn’t performing to their financial expectations so easy to allow the split. 

They were talking about Destiny 2 though right? Not Destiny 1?

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Nope, I meant Destiny 1 when I said it.  The game averaged in the mid 70's at release.  For a studio like Bungie, as with Bioware, that just isn't up to snuff. 

Did it stop the game from finding an audience?  No.  Did it prevent the franchise from reaching its potential?  Absolutely.  I think a lot more people would have been on the Destiny bandwagon if they stuck the initial landing.  Sure, Destiny 2 could be critiqued as well on that point.  But I think the bigger issue was it made Bungie appear like they were off their game from the start with this franchise.  And it put too much pressure on the sequel to get those who weren't invested excited.

Activision said their motivation for the split was that the Destiny franchise wasn't performing up to their expectations.  They wanted a mega-hit, another pillar like CoD.  It's hard to reach that when you start with a wimper.

All the same applies to Anthem.  EA's goal should have been to stick the landing, and delay as long as possible to do so.

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Not sure man, I did all the side quests that I could, or so I thought! I beat the game at level 22. I did next to no free play though, just contracts and the main story.