Update: RIP in Peace, Anthem

skillzdadirecta

1 hour ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

I pre-ordered this on PS4 today. I only trickle play Destiny 2 now. I get on and shoot a couple of enemies and then wonder why I'm playing then log off. There's nothing to do anymore but chase Destiny 1 weapons. I'm looking forward to min-maxing Javelins and testing out different loadouts. You really can't do that in Destiny. Every character is nearly the same. 

Hell yeah. The Javelins are cool as shit. 

4 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

The starter Javelin can feel kind of generic, because it kind of is. Probably by design so it can “break you in” and to have one for the players that prefer a more basic mech. Like I said in another post. It’s the Soldier 76 Javelins. 

It’s the “generic white guy with short hair and assault” class. For Monster Hunter fans, it’s the sword and shield. 

Odds are one of the other Javelins will be closer to a play style that clicks. Or not and sadly the game won’t be for you @Mithan  :(

That's why I hope to give it more time.  Maybe it will offer more?  We will see.  Thanks for your reply. 

Yup not for me

Pros:

The javelins are fun to pilot and the movement feels pretty good

Cons:

The brain dead AI and bullet sponge mobs are just not fun. It feels like a worse version of Borderlands but with mech suits.I also scratch my head in wonder about some design elements. The choice of mission,difficulty, and mission start all being on separate sections of the menu makes no sense, I am really starting to believe its some weird limitation with the Frost bite engine. The instanced areas are strange too, they are not large enough to really need it, but atleast the load times are not to bad.

The visuals on PS4 Pro are pretty shitty. Its a blurry mess that struggles to run at 30 fps. The PC version isnt much better though, my 7700k and 1080ti struggle to get 60 fps at 1440p but it gets rid of the Vaseline smeared over everything look.

Last night I tried the interceptor. It was kind of fun some of the abilities are neat. Got this one that was a large melee swipe that electrified enemies and if killed while electrified they would explode. It acts as a combo detenator, and can take out a group of enemies if they are bunched together in a big, flashy, purple, electric explosion. 

This Javelin tears through enemies. I barely even use a gun. Swip, swipe, swipe, dodge, dodge, power, power, swipe, swipe, dash, swipe, swipe. Lol

I still prefer Storm, but I can see myself playing some interceptor if I need a change of pace. 

58 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Last night I tried the interceptor. It was kind of fun some of the abilities are neat. Got this one that was a large melee swipe that electrified enemies and if killed while electrified they would explode. It acts as a combo detenator, and can take out a group of enemies if they are bunched together in a big, flashy, purple, electric explosion. 

This Javelin tears through enemies. I barely even use a gun. Swip, swipe, swipe, dodge, dodge, power, power, swipe, swipe, dash, swipe, swipe. Lol

I still prefer Storm, but I can see myself playing some interceptor if I need a change of pace. 

I can see me rotating all the Javelins. They are all fun to play. 

After playing as the Storm for a few more hours, doing the stronghold and everything else the demo has to offer, I'm warming to the game. I still don't like that your loadout is locked during missions but with the Storm at least, I hardly used my weapons anyway since the ability cool downs are so fast.

34 minutes ago, Anzo said:

After playing as the Storm for a few more hours, doing the stronghold and everything else the demo has to offer, I'm warming to the game. I still don't like that your loadout is locked during missions but with the Storm at least, I hardly used my weapons anyway since the ability cool downs are so fast.

I actually love that your load out is locked in-mission and that you have no idea what new gear/stuff you earned until afterwards. It stops teammates from sitting around in their menus for 20 minutes checking stats and equipping new crap every few minutes.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I actually love that your load out is locked in-mission and that you have no idea what new gear/stuff you earned until afterwards. It stops teammates from sitting around in their menus for 20 minutes checking stats and equipping new crap every few minutes.

Yeah, it does have that effect. I wonder if it is unintended, or BioWare specifically made those design decisions with that in mind. Keeping you in the mission, focused and not worrying about inventory/item management. 

4 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Yeah, it does have that effect. I wonder if it is unintended, or BioWare specifically made those design decisions with that in mind. Keeping you in the mission, focused and not worrying about inventory/item management. 

I think I heard/read that it was indeed intentional. :sun: 

With my experience in Destiny, that isn't the case. I get a new thing, decide to equip it or not and continue on. We never ask each other to hold up so that person can give a thorough rundown of the perks. If anything it is because we have to talk to a spouse, change laundry or some other IRL stuff. That would still happen in Anthem. 

I understand it is a design decision and there are certainly pros and cons of that. There is something about getting an awesome new drop that you can use immediately however. Not a deal breaker for me since as I said, I hardly use guns. It would be nice to swap out abilities on the fly though if I find something isn't working out. 

Will there be a "test range" of sorts to try out new guns/abilities outside of a mission environment?

So a "Storm" spawned in Free Mode now, and there are Beasts that have appeared.  Seems akin to a special Live Events they'll have that happen during the game.  I just logged and am checking it out.

Well the message of the day said monsters had appeared and are roaming.... but im not sure we can get to where they all are at.

Ehh mightve already ended, not really sure what it was all about.

48 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

So a "Storm" spawned in Free Mode now, and there are Beasts that have appeared.  Seems akin to a special Live Events they'll have that happen during the game.  I just logged and am checking it out.

Well the message of the day said monsters had appeared and are roaming.... but im not sure we can get to where they all are at.

Ehh mightve already ended, not really sure what it was all about.

They said Sunday afternoon they had something special planned, so there may be live events like this happening the rest of the day. I did a free roam event earlier  where I had to kill a bunch of Scars then a giant monster spawned. I didnt kill it though because it wasn't attacking me. Then the event ended and I got a couple of rewards.

Yeah I'm probably done as well.  I read a preview recently, and it kind of sounds like they want sporadic things to happen pretty regularly in the game.   We were talking about this in Discord yesterday regarding the Marshmellow Concert, but if a company can do what Fortnite is doing with the constantly evolving map and random live events happening that change the game world, so it always slightly different, and keeps people coming back to see what might be happening.  I know they are not major changes, and nothing crazy in depth story wise, but in a constantly online multiplayer only game like this, having a constantly evolving story being told daily through little changes I think could do wonders.  

Like tomorrow you log on, and suddenly there's some new mining camp set up with new NPCs u can interact with that tell a story about how they think they've discovered something and are digging down.  Then a few days later you log in and its evolved into something more with maybe a few new caves that were never there before to explore.  Then they announce that in a few days at a certain time they think they'll hit paydirt, and anyone that is online at that time witnesses them break through to a whole new area to explore with maybe some crazy new encounter with a unique cosmetic reward or whatever for only those that were Live at that time to experience it.  I think small things like that would really create the feeling of a living world that is constantly changing.

If there's hope for Anthem's endgame content, it lies with the Cataclysm events planned for a steady cadence once more players approach the later challenges of the existing endgame. "What we want to try to move towards with our post-launch content in general is something a bit more conversational than what we've had in the past," Anthem’s executive producer tells us in an exclusive interview. "I mean, the goal would be new content every day, of some form. I don't think we're going to get that, but it'd be nice to have some sort of touchpoint every single day. Cataclysms will obviously not be every day; they're designed to be content that you engage with for weeks, and they would come out less frequently. They're more meta-changing; they're designed to be more seasonal."

Little has been shown of how these Cataclysm events will take shape, but the general idea is that the gods-made Shaper Ruins which unleashed all kinds of chaos around the globe will set more fantastical events in motion. "The goal of something like a Cataclysm is that it should be impossible for you to fully explore in that first week," says Darrah. "You will need to do the Cataclysm to get the gear to do the Cataclysm better, so it will be somewhat self-gating. But never underestimate how quickly people can churn through your content."

Cataclysms should also keep dedicated players engaged in a way that daily, weekly, and monthly mission checklists and scouring the open world for crafting materials simply won't. "The ideal [situation] is that it should always feel like something new has come, or is coming, or just came," says Darrah. "It should always feel like something's about to happen." Be it a world-changing Cataclysm, a new Stronghold, or a holiday event, the hope is that there will always be a reason to stick around and endeavor to improve your Javelin loadout while you wait for the next big thing.

3 hours ago, Anzo said:

It would be nice to swap out abilities on the fly though if I find something isn't working out. 

Will there be a "test range" of sorts to try out new guns/abilities outside of a mission environment?

Yeah it would be nice to swap out abilities. 

There may may be a test range in the final game. There seems to be quite a bit of the city we cannot see/use in the demo. As of now the closest there would be is just jumping into a free play expedition. No real stakes, and while faffing about you can get crafting materials. 

Well i couldn’t stay away. Decided to try the interceptor and damn is it fun to play. The interceptor is a cross between The Guyver and that GoW ripoff game, Dark Sector (which actually turned out to be pretty good). 

Went in to freeplay mode mode and stumbled on a world event that was fun and provided a chest at the end. Then I went into a seperate instance off the freeplay zone (maybe the gate?) and at the end was an Ash Titan mini-boss. It was huge but super easy to take down. Needs a buff. 

I noticed there were 2 other area call the necropolis and the well that look like separate instances. Might try those later. 

On 2/3/2019 at 8:29 AM, Spork3245 said:

This would also stop players from quitting back to base after getting the gun they wanted leaving the rest of the squad a man down. 

49 minutes ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

This would also stop players from quitting back to base after getting the gun they wanted leaving the rest of the squad a man down. 

Yuuuuuuup.

If this isn't an issue for someone in Destiny, it's likely because you're playing with people you know and not randoms like I would. :sadsun:

:shrug:  

About that Storm event...the developers said that it was only a preview of the actual event meaning there are more steps to it than defeting the Ash Titans. And the bigger one was kinda easy to take down kind of. You really had to kill it during it's rage phase before it detonated itself. If you can you get better rewards. It will be interesting to see what other kinds of events they have in store. 

One thing i forgot to discuss is the game needs both a mini-map and also a squad status indicator. 

Also - i would be cool if they had a way to check our your squad mates loadouts in the mission select screen. This way you can coordinate better based on the content you’re about to play. 

I see a lot of people worried about the end game and whether we will immediately have enough to do. BioWare has tried to address concerns, but many still seem to be “yeah, I doubt it...”

maybe it’s because I haven’t looked, but I don’t even know how long it will take to get to the end game. I am sure some streamers, youtubers, and “no lifers” like myself could get there quicker than most, but it doesn’t look like it will take less time than Destiny or D2. 

I remember reading/seeing something said that BioWare stated the demo had increased drop rate over the final game. So it could take us a while to get our gear score up. Leveling feels like it could take longer to hit 30, than it does 20 in D2. Which I am ok with.

I guess my thing is, if it takes us longer to get to the end game, then there not being as much end game at launch is not as big an issue, because BioWare has more time to add to it before we get bored and need more. 

It’s as though people are assuming that with just a couple runs of the strongholds they’ll have a lvl 30 character with full min-max Masterworked gear on all their Javelins. By the end of the first week. The same people that said random rolls would fix the grind of Destiny 2 to make you want to play its limited endgame more and more. 

I think gamers have played enough loot games like this to wonder. D1 year 1 and D2 year 1 had that problem, Diablo III had end game problems until the expansion. Div 1 did as well. It is a common theme with these games. So while I agree with you that we can’t possibly know if Anthem will succeed where so many have failed, I don’t think it is out of the ordinary to have that concern at top of mind. 

Anthem looks stunning but sub-par performance is concerning

Performance is the biggest problem I have with Anthem - the Xbox code seems to be struggling, while PlayStation 4 running unlocked presents its own inconsistencies. The overall variability can be off-putting and it sits in stark contrast to the rock-solid 30fps performance of its nearest rival, Destiny. It's here where I think the game needs some work, or at the very least, more options for the player. The inclusion of frame-rate and resolution modes for PS4 Pro is welcome, but locking them to front-end menu options rather than having an in-game toggle is one of our bugbears with the Pro and it's disappointing to see it here. Meanwhile, Xbox One X owners don't have a high frame-rate option at all - a problem that would again be solved by offering a choice within the graphics menu. Based on the disappointing performance turn-out on Xbox One X under load, there's also a strong argument that native 4K rendering is just too taxing, and a lower resolution may be warranted.

All of which brings us to the PC version of the game, the platform where EA chose to showcase Anthem to press and public alike up until the release of the demo. It delivers the best version of the game visually and it's a real treat, but we have concerns about system requirements. Achieving a locked 1080p60 on mainstream GPU champions like the Radeon RX 580 and GTX 1060 proved impossible - even with the game cut back to its lowest settings, where Anthem loses a lot of its visual appeal. The move up to medium doesn't show a lot of improvement, while dropping from ultra to high doesn't do much to help performance. Right now, there's the sense that it's ultra or bust - something we really hope to see addressed in the final game.

The Anthem demo looked gorgeous.

However, performance in the demo was disappointing on all platforms -- and none of the consoles hit 30 fps consistently (with most dipping to the low 20s).

Hopefully this will be improved before launched.

15 hours ago, Anzo said:

I think gamers have played enough loot games like this to wonder. D1 year 1 and D2 year 1 had that problem, Diablo III had end game problems until the expansion. Div 1 did as well. It is a common theme with these games. So while I agree with you that we can’t possibly know if Anthem will succeed where so many have failed, I don’t think it is out of the ordinary to have that concern at top of mind. 

Yeah, though I find them a bit disingenuous when they are talking like Anthem is in BIG trouble because of its lack of end game, while still making daily Destiny 2 videos 

There will always be those that say a game doesn’t have enough end game, not matter how much there is.