Update: RIP in Peace, Anthem

skillzdadirecta

2 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Yeah, its absolutely beautiful.  The world they created makes me want to explore, but dumb 10 hour limit..... UGH.  If I preorder the damn game let me keep playing, you have the sale already, why limit me to 10 hours.

Even small tasks, like scavenging materials has purpose.  It all contributes towards faction rating, and I even found 800 coins once randomly scavenging a plant.  (I'm not sure I hit some Milestone on a challenge to get that, or if you can randomly get coins used to buy the cosmetics form just exploring and scavenging).  Weekly Faction rewards give you coins as well, and it seems like the more people on your friends list, the more coins you get as well based on their contributions to the weekly score.

It looks like theres a lot to do, and a lot to really dive into.  So far so good.  

Had to force myself to stop playing.

Only concern so far is its felt far too easy, even on Hard.  But it is very early into the game.

The Origin Premier version doesn’t have the 10-hour limit. 

Well I can honestly say that was quite a surprise coming from the demo.

Storm is a blast to play, those attacks that the class can pull off are just awesome. 

Not sure if the game will have legs for months and months but I have to say I'm glad I dove in, can't wait to put more time into it.

I am enjoying this a ton more than the demo. I think I partially just didn't care about the demo since it's an RPG/loot game and, well, demos are just throwaway things to try out the mechanics, but I already have way more abilities and guns at my disposal than the demo, as well as a much bigger and more interesting world to explore.

I think the demo was just kind of bad at showing off any part of the game.

13 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I am enjoying this a ton more than the demo. I think I partially just didn't care about the demo since it's an RPG/loot game and, well, demos are just throwaway things to try out the mechanics, but I already have way more abilities and guns at my disposal than the demo, as well as a much bigger and more interesting world to explore.

I think the demo was just kind of bad at showing off any part of the game.

I agree with this 100%. I didn’t mind the demo but I didn’t fall in love either. But after only playing the main game for a couple hours it all just kind of clicks better. Makes more sense. Hard to describe but it’s just...clearer I guess. 

This game is damn pretty. Coming up on level 14 this morning, the game is solid. Missions have good pacing and are suitably frantic and intense at their climaxes. The narrative hub might not blow away a solid RPG,  but lore hungry/world building fans will have a lot to love in how this game keeps the narrative coming as you progress. Often in these types of games the world narrative starts strong and then rapidly fades into the background, an issue Anthem does not seem to have. I'm not sure how long of a set of legs this game has but I'm sure I'll rack up at least 100 hours into it (currently at 8-10ish) so its a win in my book! 

TL;DR

Game Pretty, game fun, Story very present, uncertain of how long they can maintain an arch that feeds this game's intense action mechanics and loot drop system. Worth your money!

One of the things I like seeing is videos pop up taking about how this Javelin to s getting a buff, and this Javelin is getting a buff. It seems like every Javelin will be buffed come 4/22 from where they were in the demo except the Storm, which already felt OP. 

quite the change of pace from Bungie who would just nerf the one strong class, leaving everyone feeling weak. 

Weirdly enough,  for some reason the Beta ran much worse than the closed Alpha I was in awhile back. The Alpha ran closer to what the main game is now... much smoother.

EA always does these 10 hour trials for new releases through EA Access... the two I can remember them doing this for sure were Dragon Age Inquisition and Mass Effect Andromeda.  I'm about Halfway through my ten hours if not estimates are correct and its gonna be a hell of a wait for Friday.

23 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Weirdly enough,  for some reason the Beta ran much worse than the closed Alpha I was in awhile back. The Alpha ran closer to what the main game is now... much smoother.

EA always does these 10 hour trials for new releases through EA Access... the two I can remember them doing this for sure were Dragon Age Inquisition and Mass Effect Andromeda.  I'm about Halfway through my ten hours if not estimates are correct and its gonna be a hell of a wait for Friday.

Hell of a wait for you???? What about me???????  :cry:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, The Dude said:

So what is the actual release schedule? I snagged the origin sub, do I only have 10 hours or is that something else? 

Origin Premier gets you access to the full game right now. 

Origin Basic nets you a 10 hour trial and you have to buy the game. You can then play the full game next Friday (or Thursday night depending on your time zone)

On PC, buying the Legion of Dawn edition alone allows you to play the full game right now too.

2 minutes ago, Anzo said:

Origin Premier gets you access to the full game right now. 

Origin Basic nets you a 10 hour trial and you have to buy the game. You can then play the full game next Friday (or Thursday night depending on your time zone)

On PC, buying the Legion of Dawn edition alone allows you to play the full game right now too.

Ah cool, good to know thanks! 

Yea I'm happy I jumped in, just going to enjoy my ride... I been craving something new and between this and Division 2 I think I'll have a nice dose of gaming ahead.

My only critiques at the moment are fairly minor, the menus need a bit of tidying up still and just overall polish. The game in general still needs a touch of refinement technically, it runs pretty solid in 4k but I know they can polish things a bit. 

The respawn setup needs some work however, respawning like a mile away from the battle is stupid... They need to change that. 

In battle I still sometimes find it difficult to know where I'm getting shot from, and sometimes I find the enemies blending into the environment a bit to much at times. 

Overall tho I think the game can have some legs, I'll be curious to see where it goes ultimately. 

I'm debating my 2nd javelin, any suggestions? How's the interceptor? Not sure which to go with next.. 

Make sure you check the map in town for yellow icons, talk to folks whenever you get a chance. I find I really like all of the characters, and it feels like you develop actual relationships with them and that they're much closer to people than other games in the genre. It's that Bioware bit slippin' in. And while some offer missions, a lot of them you just chat with, and they have story arcs (seems like multiple so far) that resolve based on your conversations, so it's like good single-player chill time.

If you hate talking to NPCs in these kinds of games, I can see it not being your thing, but I found myself surprisingly engaged and very much paying attention whenever it was chat time. Even characters I initially disliked turned out to have a lot to like as I kept chatting them up. And most of the facial expression stuff is really good. Gets a little bad with ambient dialogue, but in proper conversations it's been great, lots of emoting, good eye movement/tracking, proper lines around the mouth for smiling, expressions changing when saying certain things or imitating someone (I find when characters imitate others in games that they often have a neutral expression, which is weird, here you can see they're doing the classic "I'm very much imitating someone" face) and all that good stuff. Something about the mouths seems a bit off, though. Specifically the teeth, not the movement. They all seem too... white, and boxy. Just a bit weird, especially compared to the level of detail of brows properly furrowing with wrinkles and all as expressions change.

You guys on Pc probably already know this but just incase, if you want to run 4k solid you can add:

GstRender.ResolutionScale 0.800000 or 0.700000

In profile options_profile file 

It helped me attain pretty much a fairly decent 60 fps. Stupid they didn't add it in the settings. 

Anyways, I also agree about the npcs.. Definitely has that classic bioware feel

I unlocked a second Javelin. Colossus is fun too. Totally different playstyle which makes it interesting. It has mortars and missiles and stuff. What I really like though is an ability that makes me a walking tesla coil and primes all the surrounding mobs, then my squad mates can throw finishers at them to top them off.

If you go by the Reddit page this game sounds like a buggy loading simulator that has so many "that wasn't intended" responses from Bioware developers, you'd think the game was rushed to release. Supposedly there's a story mission that requres you to complete annoying tasks(like find chests which only the host can open if in a squad) in Freeplay in order to progress the story further. 

9 minutes ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

If you go by the Reddit page this game sounds like a buggy loading simulator that has so many "that wasn't intended" responses from Bioware developers, you'd think the game was rushed to release. Supposedly there's a story mission that requres you to complete annoying tasks(like find chests which only the host can open if in a squad) in Freeplay in order to progress the story further. 

Anybody know what the hell he's talking about?

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think I'm on that mission. You have to go into Freeplay and find four tombs and "solve their mysteries" or whatever. I was about to go into that but had to take a break. I figured that would have been weird to do with rando's so I plan to set the party to private before I do it. 

There is a mission that requires some menial tasks like that. Its in Freeplay.  Dont want to spoil anything story wise, but there are certain checklist type missions where you have to go around and complete specific tasks.  This is the first mission though that ive seen like it, and its kinda of a way to force you to explore Freeplay and explore the world, so I dont mind it.  

If the Chest this is more a bug where u dont get credit, the yeah, thats dumb.  Otherwise, its just forcing you to play the game and explore the world a bit.

Some of the tasks ive seen, Get 30 Melee kills, Get 50 Gun Kills, Kill Elites, Get kills with Super, Do 5 World Events....

Its not like its these crazy things.. You get a chest each world event anyway.

One thing I think is going to be built into this game, at least I hope so, is that Fort Tsarsis is going to change over time.  Which is why its a "single player" area.

It will change and evolve over time based on our decisions.  I just get a sense cause the Fort is "under construction" now, and based on the character conversations, it seems like depending on your choices, things can go either way.  I hope thats the case, I always loved how in games like Chrono Trigger, your choices shaped the game world.

2 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

This world is really fun to explore, but at the same time, its easy to get lost.  I hate dying during a World Event and not having any idea where it was to get back to.

Ah that sucks. Yea those quality of life tweaks I hope and I'm sure will make their way in.. I'm definitely not a fan of respawning 100 miles away from battles. 

How do world events wrap up, a loot chest? 

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yes, there is a four part quest in the question chain that asks to to complete  four challenges per part to complete the whole of the quest. The thing is though it can be accomplished over time while you are doing other quests as this particular quest is part of the free roam aspect of the game and is not contained to a one session instance. I just completed it and didn't find it to be all that bad as by the time I had gotten to it, I already has 75% of the requirements complete by just playing the game. 

• Like 1