Update: RIP in Peace, Anthem

skillzdadirecta

I read you can download the demo now on PS4 and its supposed to go live at 12pm eastern time. Got it downloaded and ready to go. For those that care it's about 26GB in size.   If it's like other limited time demos on the PSN, you may not even see an advertisement for it on the store. Search Anthem Demo and it will come up. 

23 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I read you can download the demo now on PS4 and its supposed to go live at 12pm eastern time. Got it downloaded and ready to go. For those that care it's about 26GB in size.   If it's like other limited time demos on the PSN, you may not even see an advertisement for it on the store. Search Anthem Demo and it will come up. 

I didn't have to redownload the whole demo from last week, just a small update.

Unless something changes drastically, Interceptor is definitely gonna be my main.  So much fun.

I actually hardly use my 2 Guns when I play as an Interceptor.  My LB/RB skills along with Melee and dodging is all I really need.   I only use Guns occasionally when needed.

36 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Do I need to download a different demo on my XboneX or is it the same file as last week?

I think it's the same file... you just download a 200 mb update

8 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Unless something changes drastically, Interceptor is definitely gonna be my main.  So much fun.

I actually hardly use my 2 Guns when I play as an Interceptor.  My LB/RB skills along with Melee and dodging is all I really need.   I only use Guns occasionally when needed.

I liked Interceptor too. Didn't try the Storm yet which seems to be the " Mage" class... that will be the first one I try tonight. I'll try to master them all though.

I'm actually having a lot of fun so far. During the first mission with the 4 wheels you had to turn I figured out what to do pretty quick. My 3 other teammates kept running around turning them non stop lol. I didn't have my headset in arms reach. It was frustrating but with enough sprinting the puzzle got solved. 

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

The first mission was kinda boring. Shooting doesn't feel fun like in Destiny. 

I feels closer to mass effect or Division in shooting terms. I think much of it is the difference between first and third person. 

It reminds me how different Battfront feels from first to third person. 

But using powers feels more fun than Destiny. And from the look of it there will be much more variety and diversity of powers. On much short cool down times too. I think this is all thanks to not having to balance for PVP. 

Yeah the core shooting mechanics aren’t like Destinys cause the gunplay isn’t the focus, the abilities and movement are the focus.  I fired up Destiny after playing last weekend and it felt so slow and limited compared to Anthem.  

My my main complaint thus far is Free Roam needs way more stuff to do.  I’m sure cause it’s a demo it’s ratger limited, but there’s just not enough events and enemies that spawn to keep it fun.  

Exploring the world is cool but I wish there’d be a mini map cause it’s easy to get turned around when flying around.  

So my thoughts after a few rounds:

1)  Weapons are varied, as are the abilities -- lots of different opportunities to customize your javelin

2)  Framerate is really bad -- I think I may need to turn my settings down, I was mostly in the 40s, with drops to high 20s

3)  Enemy variety was actually pretty good

4)  Story was nonsensical garbage -- this does not seem to have any of Bioware's special touch

5)  Controls weren't great

Combat as a whole was pretty fun -- but if you don't vary up the combat (different powers, weapons and javelins), I'm sure it could get pretty stale after a few hours.

I understand the comparisons to Destiny -- but this doesn't feel like Destiny at all.  The controls are nowhere near as good, the level design and narrative structure feel completely different.

48 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Yeah the core shooting mechanics aren’t like Destinys cause the gunplay isn’t the focus, the abilities and movement are the focus.  I fired up Destiny after playing last weekend and it felt so slow and limited compared to Anthem.  

My my main complaint thus far is Free Roam needs way more stuff to do.  I’m sure cause it’s a demo it’s ratger limited, but there’s just not enough events and enemies that spawn to keep it fun.  

Exploring the world is cool but I wish there’d be a mini map cause it’s easy to get turned around when flying around.  

Could also be we get higher density of enemies in later areas and could see more activities in later areas. Places we’re expected to go as we get higher level and advance in the story more. 

Plus it sounds like they plan on releasing new areas as part of the post release support to fill the end game. Could get that there too. 

44 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

So my thoughts after a few rounds:

1)  Weapons are varied, as are the abilities -- lots of different opportunities to customize your javelin

2)  Framerate is really bad -- I think I may need to turn my settings down, I was mostly in the 40s, with drops to high 20s

3)  Enemy variety was actually pretty good

4)  Story was nonsensical garbage -- this does not seem to have any of Bioware's special touch

5)  Controls weren't great

Combat as a whole was pretty fun -- but if you don't vary up the combat (different powers, weapons and javelins), I'm sure it could get pretty stale after a few hours.

I understand the comparisons to Destiny -- but this doesn't feel like Destiny at all.  The controls are nowhere near as good, the level design and narrative structure feel completely different.

All the controls in Anthem felt better than any Jumping puzzle Bungie has forced on us in Destiny. 

Also Flying > Riding on a sparrow

• Haha 1

Shooting felt fine to me... in fact it felt so good I wanted to try out each weapon type. So far I've used the assault rifle,  the dmr type gun, the sniper (which feels more like a rail gun)  the sub machine gun and the heavy machine gun.  All felt distinct and fun to use. I haven't tried the heavy pistol or shot gun yet.

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

All the controls in Anthem felt better than any Jumping puzzle Bungie has forced on us in Destiny. 

Also Flying > Riding on a sparrow

Nope.  Destiny controls felt tight -- sniping headshots felt very crisp and easy with the mouse.  These felt much less precise.

Flying> Anything Destiny has for combat

Overheating < Sparrow for moving around the level

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Shooting felt fine to me... in fact it felt so good I wanted to try out each weapon type. So far I've used the assault rifle,  the dmr type gun, the sniper (which feels more like a rail gun)  the sub machine gun and the heavy machine gun.  All felt distinct and fun to use. I haven't tried the heavy pistol or shot gun yet.

:shrug:  They felt off to me.  Not sure what it was, it felt like I struggled a little to get the cursor over exactly where I was shooting.  I'm assuming they didn't fix the problems that were widely reported in the VIP demo.

7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think it's the same file... you just download a 200 mb update

I liked Interceptor too. Didn't try the Storm yet which seems to be the " Mage" class... that will be the first one I try tonight. I'll try to master them all though.

I went with the Storm class. I love raining down hell from above. The ult is pretty satisfying too. I really want to try all of the classes. They all seem different enough. 

I played the first mission and some free play on the regular PS4 and then deleted it. That's enough for me to get a feel for it. The demo is a six week old build and doesn't run that good. It's ok. The load times were fine. The connection was fine. The contol and gameplay was good. It's just that the frame rate is less than 30fps and the graphics makes it hard sometimes to see enemies. I'm not looking for a Destiny killer, I'm just looking for a sci-fi looter shooter with the potential to last. From what I saw of this old build I liked more than I didn't like and so I'm hopeful the finished game will contain the "thousand of fixes" BioWare promised but even if it doesn't I'm sure I'll still have fun with it. 

I tried doing a stronghold mission but 5 minutes in, my 3 other teammates ended up leaving. I tried to keep playing but the game never seemed to add any new players so I had to quit. Anybody know if it's supposed to fill the squad back up, or are you just boned if people leave? 

Almost made it to lvl 15.

Ugh. This was fucking annoying. Playing the stronghold on hard, get past the first two sections to where you enter the caves. Dude goes fucking afk and the game wouldn’t advance without him and there’s no way to boot someone in the expedition. Had to quit. Bullshit!!