Update: RIP in Peace, Anthem

skillzdadirecta

1 hour ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

One of the differences from the VIP demo and the playtest he participated in was that in the playtest you could sprint while in the fort. For some reason sprinting was removed in the demo. 

One of the developers tweeted it was just turned off in the VIP Demo.  Sounded like it’ll be in regularly. 

Bioware reassures fans after Rocky demo weekend.

BioWare has updated fans on its progress fixing the Anthem issues which arose during last weekend's VIP demo.

Anthem's trial version will return this weekend, this time open to anyone who wants to give it a go. All eyes will be on BioWare to see if things work a little smoother.

And if you need a little more incentive, BioWare has teased you should tune in towards the end of this weekend to get a "glimpse" at its future plans.

"As I shared on Saturday, [last weekend] started rocky, but we stabilised that afternoon and maintained it until we turned servers off Sunday evening," head of live service Chad Robertson wrote in a new blog post.

"We learned a ton about our game, our service, and you, our community. We're working hard to ensure everyone can enjoy the game exactly as we've designed it."

Issues being worked on ahead of this weekend include entitlement bugs, server performance updates to address rubber-banding, fixes for infinite loads, platform bugs to validate Javelin unlocks, plus client and platform login bugs.

I played a good deal of the demo over the weekend. The performance was extremely patchy, and the "infinite load" issue - which required you restart the game every time you tried to load a mission - meant I missed out on whole chunks of story having to randomly join someone else's server partway through.

But, of course, this is just a demo. And, as BioWare states, further fixes and improvements have already been built into the version of the game ready for launch next month.

Those fixes include further performance improvements and stability fixes, as well as the recently-detailed Launch Bay social hub for up to 16 players - added in response to fan feedback

This part stuck out to me

"Make sure stick around for Sunday afternoon," Robertson concluded. "You'll see a glimpse of some of the cool things we'll be doing in the future!"

BioWare has talked in the past about keeping Anthem's world somewhere worth returning to through live changes - it may be we'll see the first of these.

I wonder what they have planned.

I have watched a few Youtubers that got flown out to Play Anthem resently, and the consensus seems to be that the VIP is a build older than their most recent playtest. This VIP demo is essentially what they could turn into a demo 6 weeks ago. Since then they have made many fixes, improvements, and quality of life changes. 

The build they they got to play a couple weeks ago was head and shoulders better than the VIP Demo. 

That at makes me glad to hear. Maybe they should have called it a “beta” instead. People would have been a bit more forgiving. I liked the very little bit I got to play, so the only thing I was worried about was reception if too many issues were still being fixed and addressed on release day. Last thing Anthem needs is a ME:A reception. 

36 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I have watched a few Youtubers that got flown out to Play Anthem resently, and the consensus seems to be that the VIP is a build older than their most recent playtest. This VIP demo is essentially what they could turn into a demo 6 weeks ago. Since then they have made many fixes, improvements, and quality of life changes. 

The build they they got to play a couple weeks ago was head and shoulders better than the VIP Demo. 

That at makes me glad to hear. Maybe they should have called it a “beta” instead. People would have been a bit more forgiving. I liked the very little bit I got to play, so the only thing I was worried about was reception if too many issues were still being fixed and addressed on release day. Last thing Anthem needs is a ME:A reception. 

For anthems sake I hope so and for biowares, but bah gawd who decides to put an older demo like the out instead of your best build? 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Explains why this VIP Demo looked way worse than the Alpha I play tested.

3 hours ago, mikechorney said:

Wow. Did the Giant Bomb guys hate Anthem. Just listened to the Bombcast. 

I've never heard a group of people that seem like they're exhausted as fuck playing video games for a living. 

And in turn, they're exhausting to listen to. In this particular case, they're clueless. 

10 hours ago, mikechorney said:

Wow. Did the Giant Bomb guys hate Anthem. Just listened to the Bombcast. 

Ive noticed that if they play a game they don't like in the first hour of playing it they jump right to not likining it. Then they spew a lot of misinformation based on the things they didn't like. They did that with Sea of Thieves on Game of the Year. So now I take everything they dont like with a grain of salt.

I get that in their profession they have to play as many games as possible so they won't always have time to really sink their time into something they might not be into at first.

15 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Rumor is it had to do with getting something ready to get through certification in plenty of time for the demo’s release. 

will this weekends demo before a newer build? 

its weird to me that they wouldnt try out their newest build, how do they know they didnt introduce new bugs? 

3 hours ago, atom631 said:

will this weekends demo before a newer build? 

its weird to me that they wouldnt try out their newest build, how do they know they didnt introduce new bugs? 

It will be the same demo. 

They claim there has been a bunch of internal testing with BioWare and EA employees. 

No promises they won’t have new network bugs, but hopefully they catch plenty of ingame bugs. 

Hello Anthem Community!

Hello Anthem Community!

Thanks for being here!

We’re hard at work to be ready for our public demo weekend, starting tomorrow, 2/1. This week has been focused on improving the player experience in the demo – that focus was based on our learnings and your feedback. For those of you that played last weekend, you should see significant improvement in multiple areas over last week.

While we are confident that these changes will improve this weekend’s experience for players, we’re also cognizant that we may see recurring and new issues. Our team will again be working around the clock to deal with any problems that arise so that all players can enjoy the game. As always, you can use Answers HQ for help.

Our ongoing scale testing this week has gone well. We’re confident we are ready for the load we will see. Like last weekend, we will be prepared with more server capacity than we anticipate will be needed. However, predicting player numbers – particularly for a new game like Anthem in its first open public weekend – is very difficult. If more players decide to try the game than we anticipate, we also have systems in place to control entry rates of incoming players. This is to ensure players in the game are having uninterrupted fun and to give us time to increase capacity. If you encounter this situation, we hope you’ll be patient with us and try again later. We’ll have messaging on our servers on our server status page.

I mentioned earlier in the week that we’ve also been preparing for many weeks for our full launch. That version of the game already has a long list of things that are already fixed that did not make our demo weekends. It includes:

•    Further performance Improvements
•    Additional stability fixes
•    Fixes to inscriptions showing up incorrectly
•    Fixes to inscriptions from other Javelins being chosen
•    Fixes to disappearing customization settings
•    Fixes to XP gain behavior
•    Audio improvements
•    Improvements to PC controls, including flight and aiming
•    A Social Hub: The Launch Bay
•    And a few thousand more (literally)…

One additional comment based on what we’ve been asked on Twitter. If you are a returning VIP demo player, you’ll keep your progression from VIP weekend. That includes your Javelins, pilot level, and all gear, weapons, and customizations.

I hope to see everyone in the game starting Friday. Lastly, please be kind to the grabbits!

Stronger Together!

Chad

3 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I like it. I think it’ll be good. Maybe not the staying power of Destiny. But I’m sure I’ll get $60 of fun out of it. 

WIth EA, I still have to make sure the game will actually fucking work at launch. If it can manage that I might give it a go.

I almost feel like making a "the right way to play Anthem" video, showcasing the various ways to engage in combat, including against hordes of enemies. I see a lot of people just kinda standing and shooting like it's Destiny and it's like nooooo dude! You've got so many more options at your disposal that are more fun AND more effective!

Also I recommend everyone try at least one mission solo. These early missions are super easy on Normal with a group, but are significantly more challenging solo, which gives you both time and incentive to try out things like using abilities while actively flying, shooting while hover, actually using your L1 and R1 abilities every time they're ready, how to best use your super, how the melee is utterly devastating the higher up you are when you use it (which requires timing to actually land the hit), etc.

The game has so much more going on than just flying to get somewhere and then shooting while strafing when you get there.

Know what else is has? Defensive options that actually fucking work. Half of Destiny is just getting buttfucked with unavoidable damage because that's how the game is designed, so you're "meant" to take a certain amount of punishment. You can be on your last centimeter of life here against 30+ dudes and come out on top if you're good at flight/dodging/attacking, let alone the ability to use flight to retreat if you happen to not be good enough at that, so you can buy time like that. You don't have to be super amazing to stay alive. Whereas in Destiny is often feels like being super amazing has absolutely nothing to do with whether anyone lives or dies, which I have hated about that game since day 1.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

I almost feel like making a "the right way to play Anthem" video, showcasing the various ways to engage in combat, including against hordes of enemies. I see a lot of people just kinda standing and shooting like it's Destiny and it's like nooooo dude! You've got so many more options at your disposal that are more fun AND more effective!

Also I recommend everyone try at least one mission solo. These early missions are super easy on Normal with a group, but are significantly more challenging solo, which gives you both time and incentive to try out things like using abilities while actively flying, shooting while hover, actually using your L1 and R1 abilities every time they're ready, how to best use your super, how the melee is utterly devastating the higher up you are when you use it (which requires timing to actually land the hit), etc.

The game has so much more going on than just flying to get somewhere and then shooting while strafing when you get there.

Know what else is has? Defensive options that actually fucking work. Half of Destiny is just getting buttfucked with unavoidable damage because that's how the game is designed, so you're "meant" to take a certain amount of punishment. You can be on your last centimeter of life here against 30+ dudes and come out on top if you're good at flight/dodging/attacking, let alone the ability to use flight to retreat if you happen to not be good enough at that, so you can buy time like that. You don't have to be super amazing to stay alive. Whereas in Destiny is often feels like being super amazing has absolutely nothing to do with whether anyone lives or dies, which I have hated about that game since day 1.

100% this, even watching the Devs walk through, a lot of it was just them standing and shooting... I guess it depends on the actual Javelin you're rocking, but when I play with the Interceptor, man its so damn fun to be jumping constantly all over the place, using the triple dodge to scoot around the battlefield and flank enemies.  Just so much going on its so engaging and fun.  

I really hope they have some really really challenging and team centric missions that really force everyone to work together to pass tasks.  The Stronghold was difficult, but it wasnt that difficult, even on hard.  I know thats not the ultimate end game activity, but it is one of the top tier end game activities.   I just think the game has a ton of potential righ tnow, and really hope they have so much content to let us really dive into it for a long time.  It sounds like they are in for the long haul, and their communicating thus far has been very transparent and engaging, so I'm very hopeful.

Looking forward to trying the demo later today (my whole family, and I, are hit with the Flu, so I am at home on a weekday).

I'm hoping that it shows a lot better than the alpha -- graphically it was very impressive, there was lots of combat options, but the enemy design was uninspired, and it was impossible to say whether this game would have the BioWare magic.

12 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

100% this, even watching the Devs walk through, a lot of it was just them standing and shooting... I guess it depends on the actual Javelin you're rocking, but when I play with the Interceptor, man its so damn fun to be jumping constantly all over the place, using the triple dodge to scoot around the battlefield and flank enemies.  Just so much going on its so engaging and fun.  

I really hope they have some really really challenging and team centric missions that really force everyone to work together to pass tasks.  The Stronghold was difficult, but it wasnt that difficult, even on hard.  I know thats not the ultimate end game activity, but it is one of the top tier end game activities.   I just think the game has a ton of potential righ tnow, and really hope they have so much content to let us really dive into it for a long time.  It sounds like they are in for the long haul, and their communicating thus far has been very transparent and engaging, so I'm very hopeful.

I definitely see some opportunities for Squad based role playing... the Colossus has perks that draw enemy aggro, the Interceptor has buff and debuff capabilities... there's a lot more strategic possibilities in this game for coordination than in Destiny.  I think at the highest difficulties,  it will probably be a necessity. As for the story,  I saw enough in the demo to see that Bioware isn't skimping there either. There will be some degree of choice and consequence and that mostly play out in the fort. I look forward to seeing how they implement that aspect. 

Right now their biggest hurdle to me seems to be technical and if they can keep bugs and stuff to a minimum and more importantly,  if they can keep servers up and running.  The gameplay, graphics and everything else is there.  I preordered the digital legion of dawn edition last night and I'll definitely be playing the 10 hour EA Access trial when that starts.  Like I said earlier,  Anthem and the Division 2 will rule my spring and summer.

EDIT: For those that played the VIP demo, all the Javelins you unlocked will still be available for the public demo.