Twitter Is Sorry For Listing "Kill All Jews" As A Trending Topic

11 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

As a medium for rapidly sharing content from journalists it is okay. But that's like 1% of it.

i'd rather journalists get shit right than get it fast... that's just me. My experience with breaking news and Twitter soured me forever. During th Boston Bombing there was so much bad information flying around on social media, Twitter and Reddit especially that I was happy as hell this shit wasn't around during 911. There would have been mass panic in the streets.

• Thanks 1

Twitter and facebook have made it much easier to identify deplorable trash. Like when a person is dumb enough to post something dumb or offensive as hell that get them fired, because they didn't think their boss would care how they behave as a representative of the company, which they often make a point of having that affiliation listed. 

You used to have to have actual human interactions to discover how racist a person is. Now just look up their social media posts and who they follow.

4 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Twitter and facebook have made it much easier to identify deplorable trash. Like when a person is dumb enough to post something dumb or offensive as hell that get them fired, because they didn't think their boss would care how they behave as a representative of the company, which they often make a point of having that affiliation listed. 

You used to have to have actual human interactions to discover how racist a person is. Now just look up their social media posts and who they follow.

These platforms enable "deplorables" far more than they curb them.

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

These platforms enable "deplorables" far more than they curb them.

But that's a result of a choice.

Remember: to operate in Germany Twitter has to ban Nazis and Nazi sympathizers. These people are banned on Twitter in Germany but not anywhere else. They have a list. They're choosing to not use it. At this point I think we can fairly assume that jack has some sympathy for them. That's the problem, not anything inherent to the medium.

4 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Remember: to operate in Germany Twitter has to ban Nazis and Nazi sympathizers. These people are banned on Twitter in Germany but not anywhere else. They have a list. They're choosing to not use it. 

At this point I think we can fairly assume that jack has some sympathy for them. That's the problem, not anything inherent to the medium.

Well one could argue that 140 character "Tweets" don't really serve any purpose and context is often lost in service to brevity, but that's another argument. Regardless of the why's, Twitter has done far more harm than good out side of racists ideology. This was the platform of choice for cyber bullying as well. 

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t have any issue with twitter, but I don’t use it for politics at all.

Considering my job, my twitter is quite harmless!

It's fun to use it for community-driven stuff. FB and Twitter are what you make of it and what people you talk to just like in-person.

I've always liked Twitter and found it more useful than Facebook because Twitter (well it used to be) for spur of the moment thoughts and quips while facebook was built more for longform personal things.

But they Facebook changed to be more like twitter and so Facebook was pretty much useless, and now of course Twitter is trying to go for the more longer informational things, like twitter threads and I don't think it really works.

Oh well. ?‍♀️

1 hour ago, Anathema- said:

Remember: to operate in Germany Twitter has to ban Nazis and Nazi sympathizers. These people are banned on Twitter in Germany but not anywhere else. They have a list. They're choosing to not use it. At this point I think we can fairly assume that jack has some sympathy for them. That's the problem, not anything inherent to the medium.

To him, the number of users (read: $$$$) is more important than any social good.