Ant-Man and the Wasp Reviews and Tomatometer Watch

I feel like my views on Marvel flicks almost always run counter to the popular sentiment. Seems most like Antman better than Antman 2, but I felt exactly the opposite.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I feel like my views on Marvel flicks almost always run counter to the popular sentiment. Seems most like Antman better than Antman 2, but I felt exactly the opposite.

Ant-Man and The Wasp is rad because it's a more personal movie. Like Ragnarok or Black Panther (even though neither are on Black Panther's level), they succeed because they go deep into what makes those specific characters tick. Ragnarok doubles down on the glimpses of Thor's humor we largely saw in Avengers and Age of Ultron. Black Panther has more development of its protagonist in that movie than Iron Man has across all his combined appearances.

Ant-Man and The Wasp bothers to talk about the shit that Scott did in Ant-Man and Civil War. Unlike Infinity War which almost literally said, "Sokovia Accords OLO," we get to see what that did to someone who wants to help but isn't a god like Thor, a billionaire like Iron Man, who can't run away to Wakanda like Cap. Cap busted his buddies out of The Raft and Scott ended up with an ankle bracelet and house arrest. With friends and a partner he fucked over while trying to do the right thing. A family he can't bail on.

I appreciate that, especially post Infinity War, that it's possible that this movie might come off like it's a minor league game. But I'll take these "smaller" scale stories over stuff like that and  Iron Man 2 any day, even though I like and enjoy those movies too.

8 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Ant-Man and The Wasp is rad because it's a more personal movie. Like Ragnarok or Black Panther (even though neither are on Black Panther's level), they succeed because they go deep into what makes those specific characters tick. Ragnarok doubles down on the glimpses of Thor's humor we largely saw in Avengers and Age of Ultron. Black Panther has more development of its protagonist in that movie than Iron Man has across all his combined appearances.

Ant-Man and The Wasp bothers to talk about the shit that Scott did in Ant-Man and Civil War. Unlike Infinity War which almost literally said, "Sokovia Accords OLO," we get to see what that did to someone who wants to help but isn't a god like Thor, a billionaire like Iron Man, who can't run away to Wakanda like Cap. Cap busted his buddies out of The Raft and Scott ended up with an ankle bracelet and house arrest. With friends and a partner he fucked over while trying to do the right thing. A family he can't bail on.

I appreciate that, especially post Infinity War, that it's possible that this movie might come off like it's a minor league game. But I'll take these "smaller" scale stories over stuff like that and  Iron Man 2 any day, even though I like and enjoy those movies too.

Nailed it.

23 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I agree with all of these except for Black Panther.

T'Challa is the most boring protagonist of all time in the MCU.

• Confused 1

Spoilers

I thought it was a another fine, but mostly disposable Marvel film. After the insanity of Infinity War, I'm happy to see Marvel still trying to do something with a smaller scale, but I don't think Ant Man and the Wasp really achieves the necessary focus for it to work. Even without any unnecessary MCU cameos this film is still packed with too many characters. At various points we see Scott, Hope/Hank, Sonny, Ava/Foster, and the FBI all going after the same thing for different reasons. It's a jumble that never really coheres for long enough to be effective.

Paul Rudd remains charming as ever, but even though the film is constantly throwing out jokes, they didn't tickle me in the same way that Thor Ragnarok, or even the first Ant Man did. Michael Peña is doing his thing again, but even with more screen time he only had one stand out sequence. Overall it's fine, but not especially funny.

The action only occasionally lives up to the lofty heights some other MCU films reach, but AMATW's saving grace is the awesome design and visualization of Ghost. Hannah John-Kamen plays an admirable antagonist and the effects work is spectacular. Watching Ant Man and the Wasp fight random baddies is still kind of fun, though a bit confusing at times, but Ghost always added a more exciting element.

Speaking of confusing, I feel like this is a film that would not hold up well to scrutiny. Somehow in a film universe with wizards and aliens and more technobabble than a season of Star Trek, the rules surrounding Pym's tech is the most bewildering. The ever changing size and mass of objects and people made predicting how things would react impossible. Superhero fights rarely obey any actual laws of physics, but I always feel like I know what to expect when Iron Man blasts something or Thor hits something. With everything constantly shifting sizes, I was never really sure how momentum is conserved or how force scales with size.