[Update - John Kelly signs order allowing military to use lethal force, and take part in policing/searches] Trump says that if caravan people throw rocks at military, he is authorizing military to fire back

20 minutes ago, Jose said:

I know we are getting desensitized to all this bullshit, but the rock throwing comment is maybe the most ridiculous thing he has ever said.

One of the classic that doesn't get mentioned much nowadays.

That time when Trump said he would order the military to target and kill the wives and children of our enemies specifically as a deterrent.

38 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I remember that, and i have had the same thought about how to handle pro gun politicians. Shoot their children and spouses as a deterrent to voting or working against civilly responsible gun regulations. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MarSolo said:

He must hate seeing Irish and Italian flags then being waved by white people during parades celebrating their culture.

White culture has nothing to be historically embarrassed about. 

55 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

Nazi flags are ok 

36 minutes ago, Reputator said:

But not as OK as Confederate. Those are :twothumbsup:

I rest my case. 

I have no problem with increased legal migration and asylum, as long as the people coming here are integrated into society.   One of biggest barriers to having these people become a part of America is the language barrier.  Sure, their children will learn English no problem, but the adults will not learn, or struggle to learn English.  Learning the language should be a hard requirement for permanent residency.

8 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I have no problem with increased legal migration and asylum, as long as the people coming here are integrated into society.   One of biggest barriers to having these people become a part of America is the language barrier.  Sure, their children will learn English no problem, but the adults will not learn, or struggle to learn English.  Learning the language should be a hard requirement for permanent residency.

Why? Is English the official language of the US?

1 minute ago, Jose said:

Why? Is English the official language of the US?

No, we don't have an official language.  But if you can't speak the language of the people surrounding you, you will never be able to integrate into society.  My parents have neighbors who emigrated from Mexico over 40 years ago.  The husband can speak serviceable English, but the wife has never learned.  I obviously can't know the dynamics that have caused this inside their home, but because she doesn't speak the local language, she will never be fully integrated into American society. 

13 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Is there any evidence that the practice of letting people in who don't speak English has been a problem that needs addressing?

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Is there any evidence that the practice of letting people in who don't speak English has been a problem that needs addressing?

Nope.  I've read that first generation immigrants are usually more law abiding than their children who are born here.    I just don't think it's good when millions of people (many of them legal residents, and some of them are even citizens) don't learn the language.   

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

Nope.  I've read that first generation immigrants are usually more law abiding than their children who are born here.    I just don't think it's good when millions of people (many of them legal residents, and some of them are even citizens) don't learn the language.   

So you're admitting that there's no evidence it's a problem, but are insisting it's still a problem because of your feels? :silly:

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

Maybe they will integrate in the united states into a community that speaks their language or maybe someone who speaks English in the US also speaks their language. :thinking:

The downside to this is that it puts these people into distinct districts that often have other societal and economic problems.  This isn't unique to Latino population centers in America - this is a common occurrence throughout our history.  Almost every group of people that have come to America have had to live in ghettos and barrios in part because they didn't speak the language and the culture was different.  Russians, Germans, Poles, Chinese, etc.  The only group that comes to mind that didn't have the language issue, but still faced these types of issues are the Irish. 

23 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

No, we don't have an official language.  But if you can't speak the language of the people surrounding you, you will never be able to integrate into society.  My parents have neighbors who emigrated from Mexico over 40 years ago.  The husband can speak serviceable English, but the wife has never learned.  I obviously can't know the dynamics that have caused this inside their home, but because she doesn't speak the local language, she will never be fully integrated into American society. 

You don't know the dynamics of why this is? Probably because she is a homemaker and he isn't. They probably exclusively speak Spanish at home. Not very complicated.

Should a homemaker have forced language testing in a country that has no official language? Seems very unlibertarian.

43 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

But why does it matter if they "integrate" at all, much less so via the language? America is a place you can choose not to integrate with others, and there's no mandate one needs to integrate, and America doesn't have an "official" language per se, so why does it matter? Asking honestly.

My parents both moved here from Pakistan, they are both medical doctors, and they both speak English well enough. One serious ex-girlfriend I had was Chinese American, her parents were from China, and neither really spoke English (her paternal grandparents also moved to the US and they don't speak English at all either). It was somewhat tough as the boyfriend in that situation but they seemed happy enough in their life otherwise. They were both poor, not highly educated, and relied on their daughter for a lot of the language and higher level stuff. They lived in a Chinese senior citizens apartment building and most of the surrounding area was Chinatown (this was in downtown DC) and they spoke Cantonese in that area - I think they were integrated well enough. Is not knowing the language isolating for them? Sure, but that's on them.

They should still be allowed to live here - whether they are more isolated or not, and whether they do anything about that, is up to them, however, not us. Letting them in, however, is on us, and we should let in who we can. Forcing incoming immigrants to have to know the language would bar so many people from entry as to come off as punitive and draconian immigration policy, despite the upsides I could see into educating people better.

Our own citizens can barely speak English (ahem, sorry, "American") so mandating others have to know it to come into the country seems disingenuous as well.