Sony: "We're looking at a lot of the possibilities" for cross-play

I was recently watching a YouTube video by Colin Moriarty I think and he made a statement I never thought of before.

Other than the PS1 to PS2 era, the current gen console leader is never the next gen leader, and usually it's because of hubris. Other than that gen, the leader has always changed.

Sony is incredibly short sighted if they aren't considering the implications of this with their upcoming next console. Recently I played XB1 Minecraft with a friend on his Switch. I've put more time in Fortnite (still not that much) on my Switch than I have on my PS4. And being a 99% Sony gamer this gen, all I can think of is "Fuck you Sony!" I want to buy Minecraft for the Switch now. And any game that might have cross play, I ain't touching that shit on my PS4. And when next gen comes around, and MS and Nintendo are happy to let gamers play together, and Sony is still being stupid, well I'll think the same as when MS tried to stiff me for a $100 for a shitty accessory that they were forcing upon me: Nope!

Right now people are rightfully pissed at Sony. And soon this is going to hurt them where it counts.

13 hours ago, madmankevin said:

I was recently watching a YouTube video by Colin Moriarty I think and he made a statement I never thought of before.

Other than the PS1 to PS2 era, the current gen console leader is never the next gen leader, and usually it's because of hubris. Other than that gen, the leader has always changed.

Sony is incredibly short sighted if they aren't considering the implications of this with their upcoming next console. Recently I played XB1 Minecraft with a friend on his Switch. I've put more time in Fortnite (still not that much) on my Switch than I have on my PS4. And being a 99% Sony gamer this gen, all I can think of is "Fuck you Sony!" I want to buy Minecraft for the Switch now. And any game that might have cross play, I ain't touching that shit on my PS4. And when next gen comes around, and MS and Nintendo are happy to let gamers play together, and Sony is still being stupid, well I'll think the same as when MS tried to stiff me for a $100 for a shitty accessory that they were forcing upon me: Nope!

Right now people are rightfully pissed at Sony. And soon this is going to hurt them where it counts.

It's funny because something like Share Play is one of the most pro-consumer things I've seen (able to try a game/help someone beat a game/play "couch co-op" digitally even if you don't own it). I get the business decision -- combined XBO/Switch user bases are smaller than PS4 as a whole -- but it doesn't mean the same thing happens next gen, especially if we enter a recession within the next few years. 

Ideally, with the success all three are seeing, MS should continue their crossplay/BC initiatives, Sony should adopt them (they've already done a ton with PC and should spread it to consoles) and continue to strengthen their Sharing functions like Share Factory and Share Play, and Switch continues its "console games on-the-go" convenience, leading to a competitive next gen.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2018 at 4:33 AM, SaysWho? said:

combined XBO/Switch user bases are smaller than PS4 as a whole

Actually, while that might be true for total userbase, when it comes to region, I think XBO+Switch beats PS4 handily in the U.S., for example. Let alone XBO+Switch+PC on games that aren't shooters.

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

Actually, while that might be true for total userbase, when it comes to region, I think XBO+Switch beats PS4 handily in the U.S., for example. Let alone XBO+Switch+PC on games that aren't shooters.

That is true for total userbase. I don't see why region would matter, though? I don't think multiplayer is region-restricted; I play with people worldwide frequently in multiplayer. Remember as well that PS4+PC+Mobile already do crossplay, so it is true that you can crossplay with more people on just a PS4 console.

The problem will arise if PS5 isn't significantly higher than the competition, or not greater at all. In that case, you're not playing with more people and there's no reason to keep the console restricted from other consoles. Either later this gen or next gen, I expect full crossplay to be a reality for games as developers win out.

4 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

That is true for total userbase. I don't see why region would matter, though?

Because the vast majority of your play time should and will be against people in the same region for latency reasons; save for games where it matters less, like Hearthstone, which ironically I think still might be region softlocked? Like, you can make an account of any region you want, but I think you play with people of that same pool. Maybe? I've never understood Hearthstone's servers.

Anyway, in the vast majority of vases, region is incredibly important. It's why you see so much bitching from Oceanic players. Their servers have tiny populations and if they play with other regions their pings are fucking abysmal. So, for example, cross-play gives U.S. players a bigger practical userbase than the PS4. Meanwhile, in Japan, it really barely changes anything at all because the Xbox One has sold eight and a half units there.

4 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Because the vast majority of your play time should and will be against people in the same region for latency reasons; save for games where it matters less, like Hearthstone, which ironically I think still might be region softlocked? Like, you can make an account of any region you want, but I think you play with people of that same pool. Maybe? I've never understood Hearthstone's servers.

Anyway, in the vast majority of vases, region is incredibly important. It's why you see so much bitching from Oceanic players. Their servers have tiny populations and if they play with other regions their pings are fucking abysmal. So, for example, cross-play gives U.S. players a bigger practical userbase than the PS4. Meanwhile, in Japan, it really barely changes anything at all because the Xbox One has sold eight and a half units there.

I'm not sure as well, but regardless, if you're right, that would only further the fact that crossplay is good, so we're in agreement. :p 

5 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Do they have cross-play with PC and Xbox One?

No, not yet anyway, but Bungie has said they'd be interested in doing it. I can see Microsoft getting it done and boasting about it to spite Sony if they don't start allowing cross play. 

10 hours ago, Brick said:

Playing Destiny 2 on PC with PS4 players. Make it happen, Sony! :pray:

I expect this to happen. Crossplay is an issue with other consoles on the Quatro, but in regards to PC and mobile, that's been a reality for years (Rocket League, Fortnite, Street Fighter V).

I don't even give a shit if they allow cross play; just don't lock out my 3rd party account from being used on other platforms.  I don't care if I ever get to play with other console players while I'm on my PS4.  But I purchased all my content on PC and damnit, I wanna use it on Switch.