Senile old man elected to stand for the Constitution wants to sign an executive order effectively rendering useless an amendment to said Constitution

12 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

This isn't an EVIL policy.  It's a dumb policy politically, but it isn't evil.  

The reason for implementing this executive order is to send babies born in America back to countries where they and their families will face potential violence.

Yes, it’s evil.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The reason for implementing this executive order is to send babies born in America back to countries where they and their families will face potential violence.

Yes, it’s evil.

I see what you are saying, and I agree there is malice behind the intent of this EO.  I just disagree that ending birthright citizenship at a basic level, is evil.  Or racist for that matter.  I suppose if I were to enact legislation to end birthright citizenship, it would only apply to future births, not those who have already benefited from it. 

After spending an hour reading about it all, it is going to be interesting.  Does somebody sue and have the case go to the Supreme court where they will go back to where the senator that proposed the Amendment stated it was just for newly freed slaves and their children. Originalists could convince other court members to side with the original intention of the senator that proposed the amendment? Or do they live with an executive order for 2 possibly 6 more years until another president comes around and deletes it? That way nobody has to worry about the Supreme court deciding on the matter.

I am going to go with somebody is going to immediately sue and it is going to end up in front of SCOTUS with a possible shit outcome for them.

Either way if that is the line of thinking of those that surround Trump they need to go away.

17 hours ago, Jason said:

Ah, so we're following in the footsteps of other civilized countries, then? Sweet. Let's get to banning firearms outright, get a public health care system, and an immigration system that isn't so terribly outdated that doing it legally is absurd, teach our citizens to not be fucking idiots who listen to people like this, etc, etc!

I'll trade birthright citizenship for all of that!

4 hours ago, Snaynay1 said:

Has this issue ever been argued in front of the Supreme Court?

Plenty of times. If anything, SCOTUS has expanded it by directly attacking the sovereignty of Native tribes and their land.

20 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

I see what you are saying, and I agree there is malice behind the intent of this EO.  I just disagree that ending birthright citizenship at a basic level, is evil.  Or racist for that matter.  I suppose if I were to enact legislation to end birthright citizenship, it would only apply to future births, not those who have already benefited from it. 

I'll set aside evil, but I do think it's pretty plainly racist in both intent and effect. The whole idea is that it gives us the power to get rid of those dirty foreigners who don't belong to this country. I can't imagine that even if enacted that it would be retroactive in any way, but that's beside the point. 

34 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

What happens to people of countries that are in the us illegally, but the home country of their parents does not give citizenship based on the citizenship of the parents? Are these newborn children stateless?

To the best of my knowledge such a situation does not exist.  Pretty much all countries operate under the premise of jus sanguinis (right of blood) for citizenship by default with jus soli existing side-by-side in those 30 or so countries.

33 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

What happens to people of countries that are in the us illegally, but the home country of their parents does not give citizenship based on the citizenship of the parents? Are these newborn children stateless?

I'm pretty sure that international law and agreements make sure that no one is stateless...but that's a good question.

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

So this actually happened to my lady's brother. They were born in Spain but their Father is Cuban. He and their mother (who was a Spanish Citizen) moved to the United states when my girl and her brothers were kids. They've since all become legal residents. Her brother got in trouble with the law and and was deported to Spain but since his father isn't a Spanish citizen, he has no citizenship there so he's basically a man without a country and he's having a hard time over there. I guess he could go to Cuba... 

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So this actually happened to my lady's brother. They were born in Spain but their Father is Cuban. He and their mother (who was a Spanish Citizen) moved to the United states when my girl and her brothers were kids. They've since all become legal residents. Her brother got in trouble with the law and and was deported to Spain but since his father isn't a Spanish citizen, he has no citizenship there so he's basically a man without a country and he's having a hard time over there. I guess he could go to Cuba... 

He has Spanish citizenship through his mother under Article 17 of the Spanish Civil Code.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

He's been in Spain three years now so... I don't know if the circumstances of his deportation are holding him up, but he basically has no rights in Spain as a Citizen.

He probably should get in touch with an attorney because the law is quite clear: Spanish parent = Spanish citizen.

On 10/30/2018 at 2:23 PM, mclumber1 said:

This isn't an EVIL policy.  It's a dumb policy politically, but it isn't evil.  

On 10/30/2018 at 2:37 PM, sblfilms said:

Yes, it’s evil.

On 10/30/2018 at 2:41 PM, mclumber1 said:

I see what you are saying, and I agree there is malice behind the intent of this EO.  

Boy do I love these boards.