Playstation Classic drops to $59.99

SaysWho?

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Imagine playing it at a higher resolution and frame rate. Something these boxes just don't provide.

With a few emu tweaks they already run at proper frame rate. So that point is moot unless you're going to force a 30fps game to run at 60fps which usually breaks them.

You can already enable resolution doubling and disable forced bilinear filtering. 4k isn't going to make the games look any better. Also if you're going to go hardcore on ps1 the sweet spot is actually running at 240p native. So....

The only major point you probably loose out on, ATM, is some pc emu are starting to offer texture swapping for enhancing the visuals in ps1 games but again the device is hacked so it probably won't be long till someone ports this over to the device or retrocore. 

Again me personally, I just look at this as a pretty box that I can plug in and play a random ps1 game from time to time and for that it works for me. If I need something more hardcore I'm just going to play on my ps2 hooked up to the CRT I still have. 

12 hours ago, chakoo said:

Depends on what you are looking for. If you’ve got a pc plugged in to your tv then sure but if you’re looking at other SOC you’re going to spend just as much with a shit looking case. The unit’s chipset is just 1 gen down from a pi 3 but still well above all othe pi boards. Like i’ve mentioned before, it’s a nice package with just shit software but luckily hackers already fixed that part. :D

Yeah I have a decent HTPC and I've played plenty of PS1 games on Mednafen through Retroarch. Still, the older I get and the larger my family gets, I really just want simple plug and play systems that anybody can play on their own. Rather than figuring out how to pair controllers, and navigating Retroarch (even though I bypass most of that stuff with Steam shortcuts). There's also a psychological component that happens when you're playing on imitation hardware and reproduction controllers. On PC, it just feels like a commodity having unlimited access to 30 years of gaming; there's a lack of charm and novelty. But on the mini consoles I have a curated list of my favorite games, and it feels like a more special experience playing games that way on dedicated machines. So yeah, that's why I'm really hoping they can keep the custom UI and either replace or update the emulator. And of course swap out games without the soft swap method.

I'm tracking the progress, and I'm crossing my fingers they come up with an elegant solution as the Nintendo classic consoles.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, johnny said:

How easily can I play 3xtreme on it? 

1) Dump your disc to a cue/bin file

2) download bleamsync 

3) format usb to fat32 and label it SONY

4) dump the contents of bleamsync on the usb, put the bin/cue in the proper folder

5) run bleamsync on the usb (it’s copied over from step 4)

6) plus the usb into player 2 on the classic, plug in the power and turn it on.

you’re done. Game will show up in the UI.

10 minutes ago, chakoo said:

1) Dump your disc to a cue/bin file

2) download bleamsync 

3) format usb to fat32 and label it SONY

4) dump the contents of bleamsync on the usb, put the bin/cue in the proper folder

5) run bleamsync on the usb (it’s copied over from step 4)

6) plus the usb into player 2 on the classic, plug in the power and turn it on.

you’re done. Game will show up in the UI.

The only problem is I don’t have a disc drive for my Mac so I’d need to buy one 

37 minutes ago, johnny said:

The only problem is I don’t have a disc drive for my Mac so I’d need to buy one 

Then you’ll just do what 98% of the internet does and just download it. 

(I understand the disc issue, I only have 1 pc with a disc drive and it’s only been turned on 1/2 times this year, lol)

I tried online. I'm not sure what a target wallet is.

EDIT: IOk I think I figured it out. I got the Target app signed in and found the 40% discount. I found the barcode in the wallet. the 40% is in my wallet. So I go to Target after work and buy the playStation and have them scan the barcode on my wallet in my phone and I get the deal. Right?

53 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

I tried online. I'm not sure what a target wallet is.

EDIT: IOk I think I figured it out. I got the Target app signed in and found the 40% discount. I found the barcode in the wallet. the 40% is in my wallet. So I go to Target after work and buy the playStation and have them scan the barcode on my wallet in my phone and I get the deal. Right?

Yep 👍. Just make sure they price match it to $60 first and don’t bring up that you have  the coupon (as some people are saying that they will give you crap for price matching and a coupon). Some also say maybe buying a few things you might need help as well.

-edit-

https://www.resetera.com/threads/playstation-classic-falls-to-36-at-target-ymmv-involves-coupon-and-price-matching.89497/page-2#post-16294147

34 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

OK I go in and pick it up a few other things. Go to the Customer Service and have them price match like what best Buy on my Phone or Walmart? on my phone then after they ring them up I show them the coupon on my phone from the Target Wallet?

I’m reading now that u might not need to price match as target now has it at $60 like everyone else. Also I think you need to pay with your target wallet so you’ll need to set payment up in the app and it will apply the coupon. See the link I posted.

40 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

ok but pay with target wallet I guess since I don't have a red card I need to get funds in there.

You don't have to pay with the wallet app. You can just scan it for the Cartwheel then pay like you normally do. 

But of course, you can save an extra 5% with a Red Card! There are credit and debit options available, and when integrated with the Target Wallet, saving has never been easier! 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
3 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I went ahead and ordered one from Target ($20 there as well). There's a couple of games on there that I'll play for like 10 minutes. Then I might explore the hax0rs. 

me too. used my redcard for another 5% off and free shipping. 

:shrug: