Playstation Classic drops to $59.99

SaysWho?

10 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I believe so. 

9 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yes. 

That's stupid! Just watched reviews and giant bombs quick look and saw that it does indeed have frame rate issues. Games that are the pal versions run noticeably slower. How could they not know this would be a problem in North America? Or they just didn't care.

11 hours ago, The def star said:

That's stupid! Just watched reviews and giant bombs quick look and saw that it does indeed have frame rate issues. Games that are the pal versions run noticeably slower. How could they not know this would be a problem in North America? Or they just didn't care.

They didn’t care. 

I’m not as down on the game list as everyone else, but they crapped the bed on everything else around it too, so it’s a shame. There’s potential for this idea to be expanded into a device that really does justice to this old software, but unfortunately Sony (and even Nintendo) just see them as ways to make an easy buck.

14 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I'm thinking the PS1 might be our next classic console voting thread.  This is just too much of a disappointment.

I was going to suggest it, that's why I asked about ones that were already out. :p

Also, I feel like more people would participate in that one because I think more people played the Playstation than Xbox.

Man, even that list looks meh. The more I think back on it, the fewer and fewer actually good games I remember being on the Playstation. So few have held up because most of the biggest titles were early-era 3D. They were pretty cool at the time, but so many seem borderline unplayable now due to how poorly they run, how ugly they are, how hard it is to tell what's going on, how bad the controls were, the awful 90s UIs, etc. I feel like the few that did age pretty well, like Metal Gear Solid, seem like they come from a different console entirely.

Hacking is making great progress, they’ve already got a game loading off a usb stick.

Also sony messed up and used public keys when doing the encryption. So it won’t be long till they gain full control over the device.

Also I end up ordering a jpn unit that just shipped and will have next week. :D

16 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Hacking is making great progress, they’ve already got a game loading off a usb stick.

Also sony messed up and used public keys when doing the encryption. So it won’t be long till they gain full control over the device.

Also I end up ordering a jpn unit that just shipped and will have next week. :D

Yeah but it still requires you to buy this useless device when you could just use your PC and emulate the games better than the classic playstation can.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah but it still requires you to buy this useless device when you could just use your PC and emulate the games better than the classic playstation can.

In fairness all these micro consoles are useless as I still have original systems or means to play the game. That still doesn’t take away from the fact I find them cool and hasn’t stopped me from buying them. ;)

So my unit showed up sooner than expected and arrived on Friday. It’s really a shame Sony did a shotty job on the software side because on the hardware/packaging front this thing is amazing. They went so far as to also put felt pads on the unit like the original. The controllers are solid and the unit is pretty (i’d dare say even better then the nes/snes classic). The packaging is solid and not cheap.

Yet with that that said the software side is still as poor as expected. Even though jp unit has ntsc tekken 3, my first battle was fine but in the second battle there were frequently micro stutters/performance stalls. :/

Luckily the hacking community is on a roll and will fix the flaws making this a nice little retro box. With that said, i’d still recommend a psp go w/ component cables if you want to really play ps1 games. Yet if you want a shelf toy (seriously all of these classic units are just that), it’s a damn pretty one.

-edit-

its kind of crazy how much parasite eve has aged. Still having fun but man holding down run and still barely moving is so bad.

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Must not be doing well :p 

Duh. :p 

I feel bad for people who bought it for $99 as a Christmas gift. >_>

I saw some people on Reset who did at Best Buy but got a $25 gift card as part of BB's promotion, but.... this would have been more cost-effective.

These where on sale for $60 Canadian ($42 usd) yesterday for some time, now back up to $80.

Now that the device is almost fully hacked and there is a full port of retroarch, it’s not a bad device to buy for that price (good build quality, standard USB ports, better specs than nes/snes classic)

12 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

If the hacking community can figure out how to keep the UI, but replace the emulator and have the ability to swap in and out games, then I'll definitely pick one up.

They’re pretty close to having this done. You can already load up games on a usb stick pretty easily with bleamsync. As an alternative retroarch beta hit yesterday which runs even better. I think the current state of modifying the flash is just them trying to find a safe way to dump/archive the flash but that is getting pretty close.

55 minutes ago, chakoo said:

They’re pretty close to having this done. You can already load up games on a usb stick pretty easily with bleamsync. As an alternative retroarch beta hit yesterday which runs even better. I think the current state of modifying the flash is just them trying to find a safe way to dump/archive the flash but that is getting pretty close.

Even if you could get other games to run on this, you're better off using a better piece of hardware to do it. :p 

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Even if you could get other games to run on this, you're better off using a better piece of hardware to do it. :p 

Depends on what you are looking for. If you’ve got a pc plugged in to your tv then sure but if you’re looking at other SOC you’re going to spend just as much with a shit looking case. The unit’s chipset is just 1 gen down from a pi 3 but still well above all othe pi boards. Like i’ve mentioned before, it’s a nice package with just shit software but luckily hackers already fixed that part. :D

19 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Depends on what you are looking for. If you’ve got a pc plugged in to your tv then sure but if you’re looking at other SOC you’re going to spend just as much with a shit looking case. The unit’s chipset is just 1 gen down from a pi 3 but still well above all othe pi boards. Like i’ve mentioned before, it’s a nice package with just shit software but luckily hackers already fixed that part. :D

Imagine playing it at a higher resolution and frame rate. Something these boxes just don't provide.