Who needs the Qwik-E-Mart?

Jason

Hiriing a voice actor is a good solution but an expensive one. Simpsons is mostly profitable and still going because multiple people voice the same characters and it's cheap to do. Bring in a guy to just voice Apu on occasion and then you're cutting into those profits. Better to just stop doing it all together.

Also to the person who posed the question of name someone not a stereotype, Carl is pretty much just a regular dude (they probably figured if they stereotyped a black guy that would be bad :p )

5 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Toning it down could work but how much is enough? If they are trying to make folks happy the easiest way is just get an indian american actor/actress to to do the voice. 

Say they do replace him with an actor from India with a similar thick accent, what will these people complain about then? That he isn't Indian enough like SJW's complained that Ruby Rose wasn't Lesbian enough to play Batwoman? I just don't buy this controverry. The guy that made the documentary is a comedian and a very vocal extreme left wing one at that. 

But replacing voice actors happens all the time so it's a realistic scenario. However Apu's voice is so iconic it's going to sound weird if he suddenly changes. I doubt his character will be actually written off the show as this news is only just an rumor and one of the shows producers basically debunked it today. And it might be PR suicide to just delete a minority character with no reason. Still the show is all about stereotypes were we laugh at the stereotypes not the characters as if they're stupid, except for Homer as he is exceptionally stupid.  

15 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

This is the equivalent of a white dude putting on black face.

No the fuck it is not. Blackface wasn't about poking fun or pointing out how silly stereotypes are, Blackface was about showing the world how ape-like and lesser black people were. Apu is a successful businessman, father and husband, while Homer is a fat retard, awful dad and incompetent in general, but it's Blackface because it's a white guy voicing Apu doing a dumb accent. Jesus Christ.

Pick better battles, people.

People got picked on in school because of Apu? Is that the Simpsons' fault, or is it because kids are shitty and need to be raised better?

5 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Apu is a successful businessman, father and husband,

Do you really think people look at the personal success first before the stereotype?

People got picked on in school because of Apu? Is that the Simpsons' fault, or is it because kids are shitty and need to be raised better?

Unfortunately can't argue with the latter, the show probably is just another way for kids to to be little shits.

22 hours ago, SimpleG said:

I understand fully what people are trying to and I know they mean well but I can see the other side of the coin. I dont like it when the upright moral brigade decides  what is and isnt morally right for everyone .For now the ball is on the Left side of the court when come it comes to moral outrage( I dont mean that in a disrespectful way ) and we have seen what happens when the Right has control and I dont want another Jesse Helms deciding whats moral.

I believe we have as much moral responsibility to make sure Apu is as least racist as possible as a Church Pastor as has the moral responsibility to make sure a gay night club doesnt open up the community. Its exactly none.

I never said that Fox has a moral responsibility to make Apu less racist. But why profligate racism? If it's not funny, and most of the effect is negative, then to what end why keep it? There's just no point, and it isn't funny. Fox is responding to moral market forces, and that makes sense. And we have every right to use morality to influence the market. 

17 hours ago, HGLatinBoy said:

I mean how white is Hank Azaria? he's also voices Carl the black guy that works for homer I guess he has to stop doing that too. I'm not opposed to changing the actor if it helps the situation but really its the accent that needs to change and what Apu does and what he means for the show. I'm not a fan of changing around voice actors just because of their race either. It would make it so only people of certain races could play certain roles and not be about their voice range or talent. 

I have no problem with Azaria simply toning it down a couple of notches, I'm not against that at all. I just think diversifying and hiring more minority when its a minority role anyway just helps is all. 

8 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

No the fuck it is not. Blackface wasn't about poking fun or pointing out how silly stereotypes are, Blackface was about showing the world how ape-like and lesser black people were. Apu is a successful businessman, father and husband, while Homer is a fat retard, awful dad and incompetent in general, but it's Blackface because it's a white guy voicing Apu doing a dumb accent. Jesus Christ.

Pick better battles, people.

As a Pakistani American, I can say that to me it comes off like black face. Just because the bigger context around Apu's character is positive doesn't make any difference. If you find the analogy too extreme then you can always go with SFLUFAN's "drunk Irishman" or "lazy Mexican" stereotypes. The point it its bad and it insults the group of people Apu is meant to reflect and represent. 

11 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I never said that Fox has a moral responsibility to make Apu less racist

No you did not and I never said you did.

12 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

If it's not funny, and most of the effect is negative

Yup

12 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

then to what end why keep it? There's just no point, and it isn't funny. Fox is responding to moral market forces

That moral market force is one you happen to agree with and so do I

14 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

And we have every right to use morality to influence the market. 

And this gets to the crux of my argument,what happens when the moral justification is one we dont agree with? 

Moral justification gives power to groups like PMRC , CMAA, and people like Anita Bryant.

29 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

And this gets to the crux of my argument,what happens when the moral justification is one we dont agree with? 

Moral justification gives power to groups like PMRC , CMAA, and people like Anita Bryant.

I follow you - sorry if I sounded standoff-ish, I wasn't trying to be. :)

I would say that we mostly agree then except that I am okay with a case by case basis on determining "when is far too far" and you don't like the idea of slippery slopes. I think saying "slippery slope" is a form of disingenuousness because it isn't a slippery slope. The same argument is used with gun control: "if they ban guns, what's next? Cars? Knives? It's a slippery slope!" Same with marijuana: "if we allow weed, what's next? Cocaine? Heroin? It's a slippery slope!" 

No it's not. It ends with guns. It ends with weed. Same kind of idea here.

1 hour ago, Jose said:

Mexicans have a lazy stereotype? Wat.

Yeah.  Not so much recently.  Go back and watch some old speedy gonzalez cartoons.  His family were all stereotype lazy mexican.  Sooo... because of that you might have trouble finding those episodes unless you buy them on DVD.

I have the first season of Sesame Street on DVD that I purchased about 7 years ago when my kids were young enough for that stuff.  Those DVD's have a warning on them that they may not be suitable for children... seriously.  That is the PC age we are living in.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, number305 said:

Yeah.  Not so much recently.  Go back and watch some old speedy gonzalez cartoons.  His family were all stereotype lazy mexican.  Sooo... because of that you might have trouble finding those episodes unless you buy them on DVD.

I have the first season of Sesame Street on DVD that I purchased about 7 years ago when my kids were young enough for that stuff.  Those DVD's have a warning on them that they may not be suitable for children... seriously.  That is the PC age we are living in.

I think that's because there is some stuff with little kids going off with strangers in those early episodes.

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I think the lazy stereotype is a thing of the past (like pre-1950s). The stereotype today is of somebody who works day and night for little to no money. That's my perception at least.

I think the lazy stereotype has been moved to describe millennials. I hear a ton of older people say that line all the time. 

2 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I think the lazy stereotype is a thing of the past (like pre-1950s). The stereotype today is of somebody who works day and night for little to no money. That's my perception at least.

What do you think all the griping about illegal immigrants wanting to sneak in and be welfare queens is based on? 

13 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

A Pakistani, identifying that strongly with an Indian? Ha. Now I know you're bullshitting.

White people cannot tell the difference.

11 hours ago, johnny said:

Why do white people always think they can tell minorities how they’re supposed to feel about something 

What are you going to do, stop us? That would be REAL oppression. 

15 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

A Pakistani, identifying that strongly with an Indian? Ha. Now I know you're bullshitting.

For Urdu-speaking Pakistanis and Hindi-speaking Indians, their accents when speaking English will be similar if not identical as Hindi and Urdu are the essentially the same language written in different scripts.

2 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

For Urdu-speaking Pakistanis and Hindi-speaking Indians, their accents when speaking English will be similar if not identical as Hindi and Urdu are the essentially the same language.

Ah, so they finally have a common cause to unite over and end the hatred! Apu will save millions in the end!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

"Welfare queens" typically refers to black people. "Muh jerbz" refers to hispanics and that doesn't make them sound lazy.

Literally yesterday I was listening to NPR and some woman in favor of ending birthright citizenship was citing keeping people from anchoring themselves into mooching off our social services as a reason to do it.