Incompetent #MAGA Chud sent explosive devices to Clintons, Obamas, Joe Biden, Cory Booker, CNN, James Clapper, Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, San Diego Union-Tribune

15 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

<citation needed>

Do you know of instances of similar rhetoric emanating from the White House during the administrations of the 1960s and 1970s which was when domestic terror incidents were at their peak?  

What about during the early 1900s when anarchist terror incidents were prevalent?

15 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Do you know of instances of similar rhetoric emanating from the White House during the administrations of the 1960s and 1970s which was when domestic terror incidents were at their peak?  

What about during the early 1900s when anarchist terror incidents were prevalent?

So you agree that White House rhetoric hasn’t shown itself to be causal in relation to political violence. Glad we are using reason instead of feelings :p 

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

So you agree that White House rhetoric hasn’t shown itself to be causal in relation to political violence. Glad we are using reason instead of feelings :p 

At this point, a causal relationship between rhetoric and political violence is difficult to estab...

Wait, I take that back entirely.  I can provide absolutely provide a tangible example of the rhetoric of the American political leadership leading directly to political violence: the American Revolution itself.

Alright, I've won this thread.

3 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Political violence is what built this country. We should lean in to that. 

Mask up, brothers!

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.

4 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

At this point, a causal relationship between rhetoric and political violence is difficult to estab...

Wait, I take that back entirely.  I can provide absolutely provide a tangible example of the rhetoric of the American political leadership leading directly to political violence: the American Revolution itself.

Alright, I've won this thread.

:jordan:

I expect more from you than this sleight of hand. The discussion was about the effects of rhetoric from the White House on political viloence. I’ll give you a little more wiggle room, try and find evidence of a correlation between broadly negative rhetoric from the executive and political violence.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

:jordan:

I expect more from you than this sleight of hand. The discussion was about the effects of rhetoric from the White House on political viloence. I’ll give you a little more wiggle room, try and find evidence of a correlation between broadly negative rhetoric from the executive and political violence.

At this point, there is no correlation because there rarely has ever been (if ever?) this level of broadly negative rhetoric emanating from the Executive and therefore, there are no real data points for measurement.  I'm not even sure if Nixon's rhetoric reached the level as this though I'll have to check further.

Just now, SFLUFAN said:

At this point, there is no correlation because there rarely has ever been (if ever?) this level of broadly negative rhetoric emanating from the Executive and therefore, there are no real data points for measurement.  I'm not even sure if Nixon's rhetoric reached the level as this though I'll have to check further.

I was just about to reply to Cayce that we’ve actually gone a good 100+ years without much in the way of political violence when compared with like...anywhere in Europe over the same stretch.

That makes it difficult to draw many parallels.

America is kinda weak on political violence TBH :p 

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I was just about to reply to Cayce that we’ve actually gone a good 100+ years without much in the way of political violence when compared with like...anywhere in Europe over the same stretch.

That makes it difficult to draw many parallels.

America is kinda weak on political violence TBH :p 

Oh boy - you want European political violence?  Check out Italy's Years of Lead.

Killing gays and abortion providers have been juiced by rhetoric from the Regan and Bush white houses or from other elected GOPers. The demonization of liberals has gone on for decades and there's reams of right wing violence that has followed. If you're trying to limit it to just examples of calls for violence from the Oval you'd certainly find a point but it's a distinction without a meaningful difference.

1 minute ago, Anathema- said:

Killing gays and abortion providers have been juiced by rhetoric from the Regan and Bush white houses or from other elected GOPers. The demonization of liberals has gone on for decades and there's reams of right wing violence that has followed. If you're trying to limit it to just examples of calls for violence from the Oval you'd certainly find a point but it's a distinction without a meaningful difference.

I don’t think political leaders are the source of light, they are mirrors. Politicians sell the populace on fidelity to the ideas the populace already holds.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t think political leaders are the source of light, they are mirrors. Politicians sell the populace on fidelity to the ideas the populace already holds.

I think it's in between. People can be led in many (although not all) directions and people can be simply waiting for social permission to act how they want. Like, yeah you could say the intentions were there but without particular leadership it doesn't come out. 

Like what happened at the beginning days of the Muslim ban; CBP/TSA agents running amok with their power knowing that they'll be backed up by their chain is a good example.

8 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

I think it's in between. People can be led in many (although not all) directions and people can be simply waiting for social permission to act how they want. Like, yeah you could say the intentions were there but without particular leadership it doesn't come out. 

Like what happened at the beginning days of the Muslim ban; CBP/TSA agents running amok with their power knowing that they'll be backed up by their chain is a good example.

You gave an example of policy, not rhetoric, leading to action. This I would agree with.

But I think this is again a situation where maybe we have it backwards? Might it be that the population gave the permission to the government?

Onviously difficult to quantify which plays the larger role, and maybe in the long run it’s just a feedback loop?

I don’t like it one way or the other.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

But I think this is again a situation where maybe we have it backwards? Might it be that the population gave the permission to the government?

Influence happens in this direction as well, absolutely. How often did Obama beg for people to fight for the things they just assumed he could snap his fingers and do? He was asking to be guided politically.

The problem is, I think, not as much with the influence of pols and the population, but with a class of leaders interested only in power and revanchist elements of the electorate eager to give it to them and violently mad at disagreement. Nobody foresaw people wanting to vote for a tyrant, or if they did, didn't do enough to protect our democracy against one.