LTTP Ass. Creed Origins

skillzdadirecta

I finished the main campaign in Origins last night and loved every minute of it. I loved the story, the gameplay was top notch and the missions never got old or boring to me. I still have a TON of stuff left to do in the game but I'm also eager to jump into Odyssey. What's funny is, I've never played an Ass. Creed game before, despite owning several of them. I look forward to playing through the entire series as I am now very intrigued by the Lore of the game world. For you series vets, How would you rank the series to date include Origins and Odyssey?

AC:Origins is a very different game from the previous games -- I have only played about an hour of Odyssey (so I won't rank).

My rankings:

ACIV: Black Flag

AC: Brotherhood

ACII

AC:Origins

AC:Syndicate

AC:III
AC Revelations

AC: Unity

AC

Edited:  I added AC:Syndicate.  I didn't include AC:Rogue or any of the handheld games.

I want to play Origins so bad but I want to the play the Assassin Creed games in order. I fear jumping in to Origins may make it a point of no return to earlier games in how people have described the game play. The next Assassin Creed game I have to focus on next is Black Flag. I have beaten every game prior and enjoy the series. And I feel like I am the only person that enjoys the present missions with Desmond. 

18 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I prefer the more RPG'ified AC that started with Origins and I think Odyssey is a better, logical extension of the reworked fundamentals that Origins laid out.  Prior to the Origins reboot, the stand out ACs, in my mind, were ACII and ACIV. 

This. Well said.

1 hour ago, mikechorney said:

AC:Origins is a very different game from the previous games -- I have only played about an hour of Odyssey (so I won't rank).

My rankings:

ACIV: Black Flag

AC: Brotherhood

ACII

AC:Origins

AC:Syndicate

AC:III
AC Revelations

AC: Unity

AC

Edited:  I added AC:Syndicate.  I didn't include AC:Rogue or any of the handheld games.

This list isn't crazy.  Odyssey is arguably the best AC yet.  I too love the RPG conversion of this series.  I've put in around 70 hours so far in Odyssey and I'm not the least bit tired or burned out on it.

I also have a soft spot for Syndicate as I really liked the twins, especially Evie.

I would also say that Unity is very good.  It was a fucking technical disaster, but if you play it now with everything ironed out, it's probably one of the more technically impressive AC games at that time.  Too bad they fucked the launch.

Interesting that the original AC is ranked last. I remember game flying it when it came out, putting an hour into it and sending it back. That game turned me off to the series and I never looked back until Origins :p I AM gonna play them all now because I actually like the lore. Are all the AC games B.C. on Xbox now? I know at least AC, ACIII and Syndicate are because I actually own those :p I bought Unity for my nephew as well.

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Interesting that the original AC is ranked last. I remember game flying it when it came out, putting an hour into it and sending it back. That game turned me off to the series and I never looked back until Origins :p I AM gonna play them all now because I actually like the lore. Are all the AC games B.C. on Xbox now? I know at least AC, ACIII and Syndicate are because I actually own those :p I bought Unity for my nephew as well.

AC was a great idea that just didn't see the execution.  Lots of repetition.  ACII was a massive improvement in everyone way over the first game.

21 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I just made a blog post the other day about all this and how I own almost every Assassin's Creed despite only actually paying for one of them lol

Punching Beggars in Assassin's Creed

• Haha 1

I haven’t put much time into any entry in the series since Revelations. I played through those first 4 games and enjoyed them all. After that, I was pretty burned out on that gameplay structure, yet at the same time I didn’t embrace the changes they made 

to expand beyond that. I’ve been thinking about giving Origins another shot, but in a couple days I’m gonna be all about RDR2,

AC4 is my favourite pre-RPG style asscreed, and you can see the roots of origins in its open world. The dlc for it was also good. 

I'm interested to play the AC3 remaster to see if I still like the old style or if origins/odyssey have made it too outdated. 

Damn I'm really excited to put some time into the series... Ass. Creed, Darksiders and Hitman are some series I plan on getting caught up on.  I own Darksiders one and two (on different platforms :p) and want to get caught up on those too. I played the first Hitman on the O.G. Xbox but I didn't have the patience for a game like that back then.

I actually don't think the older AC games will have aged very well in terms of gameplay. AC2 was great because it improved on everything AC1 sucked at, but would've been very dated even 5 years ago. AC4 was great because it introduced the ship combat stuff, which hasn't really changed too much since then, except that it's older-style exploration on islands, so you're collecting arguably less interesting things in your exploration.

The RPG elements of Origins and Odyssey make exploring rewarding in a way it never was before, because you can find great equipment, or money (and money just has more value in modern AC vs old AC) or secret notes and whatnot that lead to more treasure.

Plus, because the games had more time in the oven, the worlds are actually more interesting to explore as well, at least in my opinion. I remember chalking the fact that I didn't care much about exploring Rome up to the fact that maybe I just didn't care much for history. Then AC: Origins hit and despite me not giving one sweet shit about Egypt, I loved exploring the world and seeing all the little details on buildings and artwork and all that good stuff. Old AC, to me, felt like the game worlds were built by people who thought large crowds were impressive and grumpily built a city to accommodate that, while Origins and Odyssey feel like worlds built by people who love the hell out of these time periods.

I'm not saying don't play them or anything, if it's the lore you're interested in there's plenty of it in these games, just be prepared for something I find personally less satisfying, more clunky and definitely less fulfilling in terms of side content. The map vomit was real in the last several games and side content in general was pretty much exclusively trash until Origins. (Not entirely, but almost.)

For me the series really only got interesting with Black Flag.  Origins was better, and Odyssey (I'm about 20 hours in) seems to be the best.

I kinda agree with @Xbob42 I would not feel a lot of pull to play the early games.  However - I don't really like the parts of AC that tie the games together.  Any current time period parts of the game I just run through as fast as possible to get back to Sparta/egypt etc.  

30 minutes ago, number305 said:

For me the series really only got interesting with Black Flag.  Origins was better, and Odyssey (I'm about 20 hours in) seems to be the best.

I kinda agree with @Xbob42 I would not feel a lot of pull to play the early games.  However - I don't really like the parts of AC that tie the games together.  Any current time period parts of the game I just run through as fast as possible to get back to Sparta/egypt etc.  

First time Odyssey pulled me out of the animus to chat with the two ladies in current day I felt a little bit guilty mashing circle to skip the conversation and re-enter the animus, but then I went back to killing goats and humans with my poison spear and moved past it. Appreciate the team's hard work on all the lore and stuff, but it is really not interesting. 

• 2 months later...
Just now, The Dude said:

What aren't you digging C? I heard Odyssey was a bit more rpgish with loot and more rpg in general. I gotta fire it up soon to see tho. 

I mean, Odyssey is quite good, I think I just prefer the characters and setting of Origins more. And I'm not a fan of the level scaling in Odyssey, so I changed it.

I've still got a long ways to go and plenty more of Ancient Greece to see, though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:31 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

I've never played an Ass. Creed game before, despite owning several of them. I look forward to playing through the entire series as I am now very intrigued by the Lore of the game world.

I'm playing Assassin's Creed: Origins now, and I'm curious to hear what you think of the earlier AC games since Origins is quite a big departure from them. Other than for their settings and time periods, they're all basically the same game. Origins is more akin to something like Horizon Zero Dawn, a big sprawling open world action adventure game with RPG elements. It includes a lot of mechanics and staples from the previous AC games, but improves upon everything quite substantially especially the combat. The previous games (except for Syndicate) focused primarily on stealth, and had fairly basic combat systems for that reason. Syndicate changed that, and Origins takes it even further with brutal and visceral combat with lots of weapons and skills to unlock. As much as I like the previous AC games, Origins is shaping up to be the best that I've played in the series because everything about it is bigger and better IMO.

I'm finally digging into Syndicate and I don't know if Syndicate is really this enjoyable, or if Unity was really that fucking bad, but I'm liking it quite a bit.

I like that with Jacob and Evie, they took the Assassin's back to being badasses again. They seriously lay the beat down on some Templar thugs. Arno was a pushover and Unity's awful combat sucked all the fun out of what it meant to be a badass assassin. A badassassin.

6 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I'm finally digging into Syndicate and I don't know if Syndicate is really this enjoyable, or if Unity was really that fucking bad, but I'm liking it quite a bit.

Syndicate is a blast. Jacob and Evie are a couple of my favorite video game protagonists, and need their own spinoff game series as far as I'm concerned. I especially like Evie, she's a freakin' ninja that's lethal with a cane-sword. The grappling hook adds a lot to the experience as well. I think that it's one of the best games in the AC series, and is underrated IMO.