Wonder Woman 1984 to release in theaters and on HBO Max on Christmas Day

3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Trailer looks fun. I don't really have much sense as to what it's about, but that's fine by me.

3 hours ago, legend said:

Agreed, hard to say where it's going, but for a first trailer it got my interest. I think WW is the only DC movie property I care about at all.

I haven’t a clue as to what’s going on in the movie outside of “hey, look! We’re in the 80s!”

While I really enjoyed WW up until the final act (which was really NOT good—Nazis were evil because they were under the control of Ares???), it is one of the better DC films (which isn’t saying much), so I am looking forward to it. 

However, as is often a criticism of the MCU, the trailer makes the movie absolutely reek of focus group—the 80s are really big right now, so let’s do that...Ragnarok was really colorful and made lots of money, so let’s do that, too... people seem to really like Chris Pine and his movies make money, so let’s bring him back, as well... and together this movie will make BILLIONS!!!

Spoiler

image.gif

1 hour ago, Emblazon said:

I haven’t a clue as to what’s going on in the movie outside of “hey, look! We’re in the 80s!”

While I really enjoyed WW up until the final act (which was really NOT good—Nazis were evil because they were under the control of Ares???), it is one of the better DC films (which isn’t saying much), so I am looking forward to it. 

However, as is often a criticism of the MCU, the trailer makes the movie absolutely reek of focus group—the 80s are really big right now, so let’s do that...Ragnarok was really colorful and made lots of money, so let’s do that, too... people seem to really like Chris Pine and his movies make money, so let’s bring him back, as well... and together this movie will make BILLIONS!!!

Reveal hidden contents

No... she realized after she killed Ares that the Nazis were STILL evil. Like it was her whole reason for her becoming disillusioned with mankind and was a major plot point in the movie. She THOUGHT Ares was the reason Mankind was doing horrible things and then realized that he just took advantage of man's own cruelty. I think you might to go back and watch the movie again because the movie actually says the exact opposite of this. As a matter of fact, Ares wasn't even on the side of the Nazis... he was posing as a Brit. One of the "good guys".

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

No... she realized after she killed Ares that the Nazis were STILL evil. Like it was her whole reason for her becoming disillusioned with mankind and was a major plot point in the movie. She THOUGHT Ares was the reason Mankind was doing horrible things and then realized that he just took advantage of man's own cruelty. I think you might to go back and watch the movie again because the movie actually says the exact opposite of this. As a matter of fact, Ares wasn't even on the side of the Nazis... he was posing as a Brit. One of the "good guys".

I distinctly remember a handful of shots after Ares was defeated where it showed the Nazis looking disillusioned, like they weren’t aware of what was going on. That, to me, would insinuate that Ares was controlling them to some degree. 

16 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

I distinctly remember a handful of shots after Ares was defeated where it showed the Nazis looking disillusioned, like they weren’t aware of what was going on. That, to me, would insinuate that Ares was controlling them to some degree. 

Yeah he wasn't controlling them he was influencing them to a degree, but he was also influencing the Brits too. He's the God of War and was feeding off of EVERYONE. But he wasn't the cause. You don't remember her whole meltdown when she realizes that despite Ares being gone that the war was NOT over. She has a whole realization when she realizes Ares WASN'T responsible... She and Steve have a whole back and forth about it. It's like a MAJOR plot point in the movie, that the world is not as black and white as she thought which is what her mother was trying to tell her. I mean it's LITERALLY the reason she becomes jaded and withdraws from society. Sorry man but I think you missed something in translation. The movie does not say that the Nazis are evil because of Ares. It goes out of it's way to say they're evil because they're evil :lol: I think Ares evens says it.

27 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah he wasn't controlling them he was influencing them to a degree, but he was also influencing the Brits too. He's the God of War and was feeding off of EVERYONE. But he wasn't the cause. You don't remember her whole meltdown when she realizes that despite Ares being gone that the war was NOT over. She has a whole realization when she realizes Ares WASN'T responsible... She and Steve have a whole back and forth about it. It's like a MAJOR plot point in the movie, that the world is not as black and white as she thought which is what her mother was trying to tell her. I mean it's LITERALLY the reason she becomes jaded and withdraws from society. Sorry man but I think you missed something in translation. The movie does not say that the Nazis are evil because of Ares. It goes out of it's way to say they're evil because they're evil :lol: I think Ares evens says it.

So what you’re really saying, is that it was poorly put together. As I said—the movie falls apart in the final act. 

2 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

So what you’re really saying, is that it was poorly put together. As I said—the movie falls apart in the final act. 

No, he’s saying you missed something obvious and you should be embarrassed because it was plainly obvious :p 

8 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Na that's not what I was saying. The movie may have it's issues... but this isn't one of them. it was pretty clear about this plot point.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

No, he’s saying you missed something obvious and you should be embarrassed because it was plainly obvious :p 

Yeah I was kinda saying this :p (except for the embarassed part... that's all @sblfilms there :lol:)

OK this is really bugging me, @skillzdadirecta and @Emblazon but those were not Nazis! The movie takes place during The First World War, so those were just German soldiers. Unlike WWII, WWI there wasn't really a very clear good and evil side, which probably why they chose that war. I mean the third act of the movie is still pretty meh, but your errors were driving me nuts! :p

3 hours ago, Pikachu said:

So it's literally just called the Gold Armor? LOL

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Brick said:

OK this is really bugging me, @skillzdadirecta and @Emblazon but those were not Nazis! The movie takes place during The First World War, so those were just German soldiers. Unlike WWII, WWI there wasn't really a very clear good and evil side, which probably why they chose that war. I mean the third act of the movie is still pretty meh, but your errors were driving me nuts! :p

Lol good point. I forgot it was WW1 and not WW2 :p Shame on me :blush: But It reinforces the point that Ares was feeding off of EVERYONE and wasn't the cause of the war but was taking advantage of it. The fact that WW2 happens reinforces that... 

2 hours ago, Brick said:

The Germans in WW1 were just as evil as WW2, I'd argue, mainly because I'm bored atm.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Brick said:

Thank you, I started reading and that was driving me nuts and I was gonna comment but you beat me to it. :p 

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2019 at 5:05 PM, Emblazon said:

It does fall apart in the third act but it also does explain that humans suck and Ares just gets off on it. 

On 12/9/2019 at 5:48 PM, Emblazon said:

Yeah, I know. But all Germans are Nazis, right? :p

In 80 years, "I mean all Americans are maga white supremacists right?"

1 hour ago, Jason said:

lol there's no way we'll be in a better situation in December than we are now

It isn’t about the US market at this point, it’s about the international market. There is decent growth and solid holdovers abroad.

46 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Just release it on VOD already. We ain’t getting back to normal until late next year, if even then. I’ll take a 4K/3D steelbook release too

Mulan just flopped hard on D+, and is doing decent in markets it’s gone theatrically. PVOD still isn’t a good strategy, and low cost rentals don’t generate enough revenue even if they generate lots of viewership.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Mulan just flopped hard on D+, and is doing decent in markets it’s gone theatrically. PVOD still isn’t a good strategy, and low cost rentals don’t generate enough revenue even if they generate lots of viewership.

Do you have numbers about Mulan on Disney + because I'm hearing different. Admittedly what's out in the public could just be PR spin.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Do you have numbers about Mulan on Disney + because I'm hearing different. Admittedly what's out in the public could just be PR spin.

I don’t want to say specific numbers, but low enough that conversations are happening about trying a Holiday theatrical run in the D+ territories. Just a weird spot where people are both tired of being at home so much and not quite ready to do things like see movies in theaters. What the hell do you even do?

(delay your movies)

26 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t want to say specific numbers, but low enough that conversations are happening about trying a Holiday theatrical run in the D+ territories. Just a weird spot where people are both tired of being at home so much and not quite ready to do things like see movies in theaters. What the hell do you even do?

(delay your movies)

How would that work? The movie goes to ALL Disney Plus subscribers on December 4th... what would the point be in putting it in theaters then? Word around the campfire where I am is that it did very well but that's just water cooler talk. I haven't heard anything official regarding numbers. What would have been a big signal to me that it did well would be if they announced Black Widow would get the same treatment. The fact that they didn't says to me that they are still figuring things out.

But the Holliday theatrical thing makes zero sense unless they are going to do a theatrical run IN BETEWEEN the D+ Premium Access window and the D+ standard window... there seems to be some wiggle room there.

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

How would that work? The movie goes to ALL Disney Plus subscribers on December 4th... what would the point be in putting it in theaters then? Word around the campfire where I am is that it did very well but that's just water cooler talk. I haven't heard anything official regarding numbers. What would have been a big signal to me that it did well would be if they announced Black Widow would get the same treatment. The fact that they didn't says to me that they are still figuring things out.

But the Holliday theatrical thing makes zero sense unless they are going to do a theatrical run IN BETEWEEN the D+ Premium Access window and the D+ standard window... there seems to be some wiggle room there.

I think this would be November 20th with Soul moving to the summer.

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

It was also probably priced too high for a home-video release.