PC Builds

Massdriver

Bang for your buck 2560x1440 144Hz adaptive-sync PC build

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GRpvmq

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GRpvmq
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GRpvmq/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($116.98 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($154.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($84.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8GB Red Dragon Video Card  ($369.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT - H500 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($98.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Nixeus - NX-EDG27 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor  ($462.81 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1588.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-19 16:00 EDT-0400

The idea here is to get as many smooth 2560x1440 frames per second for your money as possible. This build gets you 2560x1440 144 Hz IPS adaptive sync (freesync range 30-144) with a 6 core/12 thread processor and Vega 56. I used just Amazon and Newegg for the vendors.

You could get this Pixio monitor and use the extra $100 to buy a 2700 or spend a little bit more and get a 2700X.

EDIT: I just noticed that was a TN panel, the IPS is also around $400. Apparently Pixio doesn't sell the PX277 anymore, just the PX277h which has HDR10?

You could do the Viotek GN27DB, but its curved and a VA panel. https://www.amazon.com/27-Inch-Monitor-Samsung-FreeSync-GamePlus/dp/B078P57ZWL/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1539981947&sr=1-13&keywords=ips+1440p+144hz

Also for whatever reason you can save like $25 bucks by ordering 2 single 8GB sticks of RAM rather than a bundle.

@Nokt, I chose the Nixeus because it is associated with the fewest backlight bleed issues that other IPS monitors made with this panel seem to suffer from and has the largest freesync range. I also own it so I can personally vouch for it so far. However, there are PLENTY of other freesync monitors that are inexpensive compared to gsync. In addition to the Samsung monitor mentioned by you, you can get a 31.5 inch AOC monitor made with a VA Samsung panel. There are lots of freesync options. I posted the AOC ones below.

https://www.amazon.com/AOC-AG322QCX-Monitor-FreeSync-2560x1440/dp/B07DD2K9WQ  Here is an AOC 31.5 inch 144Hz 44-144 freesync range.

Also here is the newer version of it with HDR: https://www.pcgamer.com/aoc-launches-a-315-inch-144hz-freesync-2-hdr-monitor-for-dollar550/

52 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

I'd be tempted to spend the extra $25 bucks to get a Samsung 860 Evo drive (or step up and get the much faster 970).

Sure, but for gaming you are not going to notice much of a difference between SSDs. If you like Samsung, then it's easy to substitute it. I like Crucial.

24 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Sure, but for gaming you are not going to notice much of a difference between SSDs. If you like Samsung, then it's easy to substitute it. I like Crucial.

The 860 vs. the MX500 will not be noticeable for speed.  The 860 should last a lot longer due to Samsung's better controllers/software -- (note the Crucial is only warrantied for 180TB, while Samsung is rated for 300TB.)

You should notice the difference between the 970 and the other two.  I definitely notice the difference when loading off my boot Samsung 950, vs. my slower SSD for games.

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

That is a ridiculous chunk of processing power! SLI however, is a terrible Hellscape, and I won't ever return to it unless the benefits outweigh the hours of trouble shooting that inevitable seem to follow. 

It was great watching him try to get it to run right and all the roundabout things he had to do with that PC because those aren't gaming cards if i understand correctly? More like animation and video editing i guess?

10 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

It was great watching him try to get it to run right and all the roundabout things he had to do with that PC because those aren't gaming cards if i understand correctly? More like animation and video editing i guess?

Yup! Those are work horses, not toys and the typical Nvidia driver suite plays havoc with those. Additionally, Any kind of SLI is, on some level, broken. Its been this way for the last 6 years and its why Nvidia has started to curb it themselves, limiting Turning Cards to a maximum of 2 way NVLink. No there are claims that implemented right with DX12/Vulcan, multi GPU could go smoother and perform better than traditional SLI, but I'll believe that when I start seeing Nvidia's drivers have day one MGPU support as games launch. :p

13 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

@Mr.Vic20 I could be completely wrong but haven't SLI before those newer issues always been a huge diminishing return on investment since it only boosts performance by 20-30% if that? 

So the typical usage by card looks like this historically:

GPU1 - 90-100%

GPU2 - 50-60%

GPU3 - 20-30%

GPU4- Fuckall

As you can see from my carefully worded chart mGPU typically follows the "rule of halves", in which each card added functions at roughly half the capacity of the card it follows.