There Are 10 Marvel Movies Coming Out in The Next 4 Years...

18 hours ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

I will see all of these movies and immediately forget the plots 

This. I see every Marvel movie(although I’ve stopped going in theaters) and I enjoy every Marvel movie(except for the POS Avengers 2) but all except for a small handful are immedialty forgettable. 

13 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

This. I see every Marvel movie(although I’ve stopped going in theaters) and I enjoy every Marvel movie(except for the POS Avengers 2) but all except for a small handful are immedialty forgettable. 

People love these movies for the characters not the plots... that's true of most movies to be honest.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

People love these movies for the characters not the plots... that's true of most movies to be honest.

Well MOST movies aren’t good. But I’d argue that most movies that a good/very good and that very successful people remember the plots. Marvel movies somehow managed to combine the budget and money making of the big action blockbusters with the generic forgetability of rom coms. 

38 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Well MOST movies aren’t good. But I’d argue that most movies that a good/very good and that very successful people remember the plots. Marvel movies somehow managed to combine the budget and money making of the big action blockbusters with the generic forgetability of rom coms. 

Let me amend my comment and say most ACTION movies... most people couldn't tell you the plot to most Action movies whether they're good or not.

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

I would wager that most people who saw The Dark Knight couldn’t tell you the plot at all, other than that the Joker’s in there somewhere.

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I would wager that most people who saw The Dark Knight couldn’t tell you the plot at all, other than that the Joker’s in there somewhere.

We’re not really gonna rotate back to the ridiculous “everyone except us that matches movies are stupid” argument again are we? I’d bet most people could give the basic plot. 

We’re not really gonna rotate back to the ridiculous “everyone except us that matches movies are stupid” argument again are we? I’d bet most people could give the basic plot. 

I could about Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises maybe, but Batman Begins? I couldn't tell you for the life of me what Ra's al Ghul was up to in that movie :p Same with a bunch of other big budget action films.

It was never about people being stupid.

I love Blade. I've seen it... 10 times? I couldn't tell you the name of the female protagonist. I couldn't tell you the name of Stephen Dorff's sidekick. I had to think for a few minutes to remember the name of Dorff's character. I know that Frost wants to be the blood god, but I couldn't remember its name. Until I looked at wikipedia, I didn't remember that Frost was an outcast for not being born a vampire. How many people do you think noticed that how they talk about the blood god and what Frost ends up becoming are totally different things? They reshot that stuff because the effects in the original ending were cheesy, but they didn't alter the setup of what the blood god was.

I don't think I'm stupid when it comes to movies, this is just how most people consume most media.

So no, I don't think "most people" could give the basic plot of The Dark Knight other than that "that's the one with the Joker." I've seen that movie a ton too, and I had to think for a while to remember why Batman was in Asia, why Lucius had to go too, etc. I wouldn't bet my life on being able to correctly remember how the Joker ended up kidnapping Harvey.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

It was never about people being stupid.

I love Blade. I've seen it... 10 times? I couldn't tell you the name of the female protagonist. I couldn't tell you the name of Stephen Dorff's sidekick. I had to think for a few minutes to remember the name of Dorff's character. I know that Frost wants to be the blood god, but I couldn't remember its name. Until I looked at wikipedia, I didn't remember that Frost was an outcast for not being born a vampire. How many people do you think noticed that how they talk about the blood god and what Frost ends up becoming are totally different things? They reshot that stuff because the effects in the original ending were cheesy, but they didn't alter the setup of what the blood god was.

I don't think I'm stupid when it comes to movies, this is just how most people consume most media.

So no, I don't think "most people" could give the basic plot of The Dark Knight other than that "that's the one with the Joker." I've seen that movie a ton too, and I had to think for a while to remember why Batman was in Asia, why Lucius had to go too, etc. I wouldn't bet my life on being able to correctly remember how the Joker ended up kidnapping Harvey.

Character names and specific scenes are not the plot. And when I say people can remember the plot I don’t mean they can describe every scene in detail. I think most people can give the basic plot, the basic story points of good movies they liked. Most of the stuff you mentioned falls more into “film geek/film officiando” territory. Totally different. 

And yes that arguemnt very much was about people not being smart enough and not caring enough to follow the plot/make predictions off a plot. 

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

You may not have, but that argument was definitely being made.

Well... not by me. :p

I honestly don't think not knowing the specifics of a movie or movies in general even if you love them makes you any more "stupid" than not knowing who produces the albums of bands you love, or the specifics of the studio sessions, even if someone really loves music.

For me, for it to be stupidity, someone would have to be incapable of learning that stuff. I don't think people who don't know those things about movies / music / comics / whatever are stupid at all, it's just now how they engage in media.

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I could about Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises maybe, but Batman Begins? I couldn't tell you for the life of me what Ra's al Ghul was up to in that movie :p Same with a bunch of other big budget action films.

Ra's al Ghul was going to use Bruce to burn Gotham to the ground. He considered Gotham too corrupt and irredeemable to be saved. He mentioned how him and his League of Assassin's had done that to other places throughout history.