EA/DICE reportedly lost 10% of its workforce due to Battlefront II debacle

Commissar SFLUFAN

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Not surprising... DIsney/Lucasfilm was far more disappointed in how Battlefront 2 performed due to the Loot Crate hysteria than either Last Jedi OR Solo. Be interesting to see what they do moving forward. 

Since EA got the Star Wars license in 2013 they've:

- Kinda/sorta kept a WoW clone barely above water

- produced a pair of mildly interesting, quickly forgotten multiplayer FPS titles, one of which generated so much controversy that it's had a tangible impact on the industry both commercially and politically

- canceled a high-profile single-player title that produced a whopping 10 seconds of gameplay footage of a guy walking and closed the studio that was developing it

- vaguely discussed a title in development at Respawn Entertainment which will have a release date of Ares knows when

Yeah, I'd imagine Disney/Lucasfilm must have had some informal discussions with other big publishers at this point.

Just now, SFLUFAN said:

Since EA got the Star Wars license in 2013 they've:

- Kinda/sorta kept a WoW clone barely above water

- produced a pair of mildly interesting, quickly forgotten multiplayer FPS titles, one of which generated so much controversy that it's had a tangible impact on the industry both commercially and politically

- canceled a high-profile single-player title that produced a whopping 10 seconds of gameplay footage of a guy walking and closed the studio that was developing it

- vaguely discussed a title in development at Respawn Entertainment which will have a release date of Ares knows when

Yeah, I'd imagine Disney/Lucasfilm must have had some informal discussions with other big publishers at this point.

Agreed... who do you think they'd go with and who do you think they SHOULD go with? Who's big enough for them to even consider? Activision/Blizzard? Ubisoft? Square/Enix???

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Agreed... who do you think they'd go with and who do you think they SHOULD go with? Who's big enough for them to even consider? Activision/Blizzard? Ubisoft? Square/Enix???

Square/Enix probably has their hands full with Marvel at this point.

I'd imagine Activision/Blizzard is the most likely candidate.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

If these employees are leaving for equally good jobs and get away from being part of EA's gross monetization experiments, all is good.

It must have sucked to be working for EA as those decisions were getting made, and even more demoralizing to see the public reaction.

Yeah, these are voluntary departures rather than involuntary ones.

14 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

@skillzdadirecta - can you imagine what that phone call from Bob Iger and Kathleen Kennedy to Andrew Wilson at the height of the Battlefront II debacle must've been like? :rofl:

Holy shit... I know for a fact he was pissed. He probably had no idea why that shit was happening too... "What the FUCK is a goddamned Loot crate?!" :p

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

@skillzdadirecta - can you imagine what that phone call from Bob Iger and Kathleen Kennedy to Andrew Wilson at the height of the Battlefront II debacle must've been like? :rofl:

Andrew: "Loot crates. They make people spend more money to enjoy a better version of the game."

Bob: "What?"

Andrew: "Like when you go to Magic Kingdom, and you pay for a ticket, and you think you get the same experience as every other visitor, but the resort guests still get into the park an hour earlier than you, so the lines are still at a 90-minute wait, even though the park just opened. So if you want to actually ride a lot of rides without the NOW LIMITED NUMBER of fast passes you're allowed, you have to pay extra to stay in a resort."

Bob: "Ah, gotcha!"

Kathleen: "But do these loot crates benefit lesbians and blacks more than white men?"

Andrew: "No, Kathleen. The odds don't change depending on race, gender, or sexual orientation."

Kathleen: "I'll pass."

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

Square/Enix probably has their hands full with Marvel at this point.

I'd imagine Activision/Blizzard is the most likely candidate.

Activision/Blizzard are just as greedy as EA, so I'm not sure I'd want them to get the license. I wonder if it's possible that no one gets sole use of the license, and Disney/Lucasfilm leaves it up for any studio to use the license of they're willing to pay for it to make a Star Wars game. 

It's a shame too since Battlefront II is actually pretty fun, but the lack of content post release because they had to go back and focus on fixing their progression system has been a bummer. Guess we'll have to wait for Battlefront III: Third Time's the Charm to really get the series as fun and popular as it should be. 

2 hours ago, Brick said:

Activision/Blizzard are just as greedy as EA, so I'm not sure I'd want them to get the license. I wonder if it's possible that no one gets sole use of the license, and Disney/Lucasfilm leaves it up for any studio to use the license of they're willing to pay for it to make a Star Wars game. 

It's a shame too since Battlefront II is actually pretty fun, but the lack of content post release because they had to go back and focus on fixing their progression system has been a bummer. Guess we'll have to wait for Battlefront III: Third Time's the Charm to really get the series as fun and popular as it should be. 

I think that would be the ideal scenario as I don’t think any one publisher is a good fit for all possible types of games in the Star Wars universe. Separate them to a studio good for an rpg, for a single player action adventure, racer,  a flight sim (lol), rts, fps, vr lightsaber fighter, etc.

I don’t think Activision would bring too much more than EA, and honestly think EA has better developers to cover it all, but they are botching it. Ubi would probably make one quite good Star Wars: The UbiGame and maybe release that yearly, but they can just license out for that and then to other devs for the other possibilities.

40 minutes ago, stepee said:

I think that would be the ideal scenario as I don’t think any one publisher is a good fit for all possible types of games in the Star Wars universe. Separate them to a studio good for an rpg, for a single player action adventure, racer,  a flight sim (lol), rts, fps, vr lightsaber fighter, etc.

I don’t think Activision would bring too much more than EA, and honestly think EA has better developers to cover it all, but they are botching it. Ubi would probably make one quite good Star Wars: The UbiGame and maybe release that yearly, but they can just license out for that and then to other devs for the other possibilities.

Yeah it's especially frustrating because if EA does lose the license, and it goes to another publisher, EA still has the IPs to certain Star Wars franchises that others wouldn't be able to use (at least I think that's how it works), so it's not like we'd be able to get another Battlefront from someone else. Hoping for BioWare to finally make Knights of the Old Republic III? Too bad, they can't because EA fucked up!