iPad Pro and Mac event scheduled for October 30th

While the iPad Pro is expected to continue to use an LCD rather than OLED due to the high price of OLED displays, rumors suggest it could adopt a USB-C port instead of a Lightning port and that the headphone jack could potentially be eliminated.

So brave. :daydream:

They keep raising the prices on everything, it's so annoying.

Hey look at our new laptops, they're like 10% better and hey, 25% more expensive!

But like, aren't they supposed to get cheaper?

No, look, they are better, so naturally they cost more now!

But like, usually laptops get better every year and then the price stays the same or goes down...

But, yeah, but, these are better!

They always get better, that's how this has always worked?

They're better and they cost more! They have a whole bunch of features no one actually wants!

But like, I'm not buying this...

Well, if you're looking for a budget model, may we refer you to this 6 year old piece of shit we're charging a massive amount of money for? The same amount of money you used to be able to buy a pretty modern and up-todate laptop for in the past?

Yeah, uh, hard pass...

I bought my AirPods like 3 months ago so I'm actually not hoping for new ones yet... but purely for selfish reasons...

Honestly, they feel pretty perfect, not sure how much better they can get. I guess I'd like volume controls... and I'd like them in black...

9 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I'm still very skeptical that the iPad Pros will have USB-C ports, but I'd be quite happy if that were the case. I think it would make sense to include one if you want to position the iPad as a 'real' computer.

Yeah, they would have to change the pencil too if it’s USB-C only

11 hours ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Yeah, they would have to change the pencil too if it’s USB-C only

I feel like USB-C only would be a huge shock. My expectations are, from most to least likely:

-The charging brick and cable change from USB-A to C, device remains lightning only

-USB-C is added to the device in addition to lightning to allow easier simultaneous power + display, other accessories

-Device goes USB-C only

Removing the iPad Pro from the lightning ecosystem would be a huge move. You can argue that it makes sense that Apple is then bifurcating their lineup into mobile (lightning) and computers (USB-C), but it's not as if Apple has a huge USB-C ecosystem that they've developed. On their store if you list accessories compatible with a USB-C MacBook Pro, the only USB-C devices made by Apple are chargers and dongles. They have non-apple displays, hard drives, and docks, but most of those wouldn't be particularly useful with an iPad anyways, at least not unless they added mouse support.

This is becoming a silly tangent, but in terms of things that will never happen, I think mouse support on the iPad would be one of the more interesting possibilities. Perhaps the defining difference between using an iPad as a computer vs a Chrome or Windows convertible is the trackpad or mouse. Not only does it make a difference for your standard use cases and form factors, but all the sudden you can plug it into an external display and still control it. In the workflows that matter the most to me and that I interact with on a day to day basis, that's the difference between something you use occasionally or for a specific task and a general purpose computer.

On 10/23/2018 at 9:43 PM, RedSoxFan9 said:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/10/23/kuo-october-event-ipad-mini-refresh/

new iPad mini? it would make sense since they're still selling an ancient one for $400

We were just talking about what they were going to do with the iPad Mini at work since our Flight Attendants use them and it’s almost time to refresh.

I thought they would kill it off and let the bigger iPhones take that area.

7 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Ewww

well in all honesty it really can't do much these days. I mainly use it for watching movies and sometimes for the kindle app...which amazingly works very fast when compared my sister's old ipad 2 which doesn't seem to be able to handle the kindle app. Go figure. I keep saying I'll get a new ipad one of these days and yet here we are ages later and I am still using my launch unit. 

I've got a 3rd Gen iPad (first Retina), and it's more orders less useless. When we get a new one, it will be permanently used in my iCade. 

I was lucky enough to get the iMame app before it was pulled from the app store years ago. So I have just about every arcade game on my iPad. 

I'm really hoping, with the new iPad, the iPad finally becomes useful as a laptop replacement. 

On 10/25/2018 at 12:14 PM, TheLeon said:

I would be interested in a decently spec'ed Mini. I have no real use for one, but for some reason I've always wanted one. 

Same. I've never had a Mac in my life but for $800 I could possibly be convinced to give one a try. Unfortunately the $800 model only has an i3, 8 GB of RAM, and 128 GB of SSD space (according to this).  :p 

On 10/19/2018 at 12:55 PM, ort said:

Can't wait for them to raise the prices on everything.

It's all getting to be too predictable...

Every single thing they released today was a significant price increase over models they are replacing. EVERY. SINGLE. THING.

Even the pencil ($99 to $129) and keyboard case ($159 to $179).

51 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Same. I've never had a Mac in my life but for $800 I could possibly be convinced to give one a try. Unfortunately the $800 model only has an i3, 8 GB of RAM, and 128 GB of SSD space (according to this).  :p 

for $1300 you can get a 6 core i5, 16 GB RAM, and 256 GB storage, which is probably the model I'll get (or the i7 model for $200 more)

• Thanks 1

Well, I was wrong about USB-C on the iPad. I'm happy I'm wrong, I very much prefer USB-C over lightning. If I upgrade to one of these I'll be able to charge my Google phone, Dell laptop, Apple tablet, and Nintendo console with the same charger and cable. That's pretty great.

What I don't think they did was really justify it. To my mind, adding USB-C is an indication that this is a "real" computer. They kept calling it one and they're rolling out more and more "real" versions of software, from Photoshop to AutoCAD, but other than cross device charging, I don't yet see them getting a real benefit of USB-C. The only things they showed plugged into the iPad were the limited things you could already do, just without the adapters. They showed it plugged into a camera and a display, and on their website I think they only show the camera.

Right now the only way an iPad can interact with external storage, is through the photos app, and they gave us no indication that is changing. The easiest and most obvious way to make that USB-C port useful is to allow generic storage access. Let me put movies or work files on a memory stick, let me use an external HDD for any app that wants to. I hope I'm wrong here, but I suspect they're keeping storage controls as is.

The only other thing they showed was the display. There are some limited use cases, for presentations or maybe some kind of photo editing, but without a mouse cursor an external display on an iPad is just not generally useful. If the WiiU taught us anything, it's that a touchscreen isn't a particularly great way to interact with a larger external display. I imagine that you'll be able to use an external keyboard, which I think you can do now with an iPad and a USB camera adapter. I guess you can also use it for Ethernet, which is not something I'd generally considered useful, but as part of a docking situation would make sense.

I hope that Apple put the port in with the expectation that they'll allow a mouse cursor on iOS or at least a wider range of possible accessories. I also hope this means we'll see a USB-C iPhone. I'm glad they made the change, now I just want to see them take advantage of it.

Other than that the new iPads look really great. The new form factor is beautiful, and the pencil attachment is really great, even as someone who's found very little use for the pencil.

25 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I hope that Apple put the port in with the expectation that they'll allow a mouse cursor on iOS or at least a wider range of possible accessories.

For whatever reason this comment got downvoted to shit on Ars Technica, but it sure seems to me that if they're going to add the ability to drive an external display that it logically follows that they're going to add mouse cursor support.

17 minutes ago, Jason said:

For whatever reason this comment got downvoted to shit on Ars Technica, but it sure seems to me that if they're going to add the ability to drive an external display that it logically follows that they're going to add mouse cursor support.

I think it has to happen eventually, but I think it's going to take longer than it needs to. I think the trojan horse for this is the ability to port iOS apps to OSX. iPad Pros could then run the OSX versions of the apps, or some hybrid that takes very little effort.

I honestly think the mouse is the differentiator between "real" computers and not, and having that ability would completely change the capabilities of the devices. As an example, my Dad currently uses an iMac and an iPad Pro as his laptop. If the iMac was just a display with a keyboard and mouse attached to the iPad, he'd probably get more use out of it. He's a pretty simple user, but I think the same would hold true for a lot of the creators they're targeting with these devices. Photoshop on an iPad is awesome, but what pro is going to spend their day using an iPad, or even an iPad hooked to an external display the whole time? The pencil is great, but it doesn't replace a mouse.