Are you drawn more to games with darker or lighter tones?

crispy4000

I like both as long as they aren't trying too hard. Witcher 3 and ME Trilogy nail it. Most Blizzard games do too.

A good example of trying too hard was AC: Origins. There was a questline where an NPC had a kid that Bayak connected with... but that connection was shown for like 30 seconds. Then the next seen the local bad guy who I hadn't met yet somehow drowns the kid. All off screen. It's supposed to be sad/dark but the game didn't do much to build a connection with the characters for me to care. 

Conversely... look at the character development in a similar amount of time in Bloody Baron in TW3. They establish the characters, give you their background and motivations. You're much more connected to them so when stuff happens you're invested.

Light/Humor is the same for me. Though I imagine this has more to do with taste. It's Seinfeld (which I like) vs Will Farrel slap-stick (which I usually just roll my eyes at).

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:54 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm definitely drawn to darker toned games for sure... it's a large reason why Nintendo games no longer appeal to me despite how good they may be.

This. I'm drawn to darker toned everything... art, music, movies, etc.

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:28 PM, SFLUFAN said:

I was just thinking about the Prince of Persia series that went from the "light" but compelling Sands of Time to the ridiculously grimdark mediocrity of The Warrior Within.  Ubisoft tried to reverse course a bit with The Two Thrones, but the damage was already done.

The Sands of Time was a more charming game with a better story, but Warrior Within is a really good action platformer with excellent level design. I really liked The Two Thrones too.