The Official "I Voted" Thread - GO VOTE

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I always kinda wondered, in a state as blue as MA, how does a Republican get elected governor? 

But you guys also elected Scott Brown, even if it was only for a couple years. 

You mean how do Republicans KEEP getting elected governor. Local politics in Massachusetts don't exactly align with federal politics. A Republican Baker is an incredibly moderate, never-Trump while Democrats in the state range from mildly moderate to wildly, far left. My problem with him is that he's still a Republican and while he he does come out against Trump with quite some regularity, he still backs members of the House and Senate that are very firmly in Trump's camp.

28 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

You mean how do Republicans KEEP getting elected governor. Local politics in Massachusetts don't exactly align with federal politics. A Republican Baker is an incredibly moderate, never-Trump while Democrats in the state range from mildly moderate to wildly, far left. My problem with him is that he's still a Republican and while he he does come out against Trump with quite some regularity, he still backs members of the House and Senate that are very firmly in Trump's camp.

What is that kind of degree of separation called? Not supporting the Nazis, but supporting the people supporting the Nazis. 

6 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Massachusetts likes their Republicans who brand themselves as moderates.

Worth pointing out that when states like Massachusetts elect Republican governors those governors tend to recognize that they're never running for president. 

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

I forgot to mention this here.

My mom became a citizen this year. She cast her first ballot in the primary this year and this is her first midterm. If you ever want to talk to someone who came to America with just her clothes on her back, she's your woman.

You're an anchor baby?! :o

58 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I forgot to mention this here.

My mom became a citizen this year. She cast her first ballot in the primary this year and this is her first midterm. If you ever want to talk to someone who came to America with just her clothes on her back, she's your woman.

I am just content with the fact they exist. I don't need to talk to them outside of a business transaction.

• Haha 1

I ended up not voting for any libertarians this year.  There was only one libertarian on the ballot this year in Oregon (Governor), and I was more interested in the GOP candidate - who is about as moderate a Republican as they come.  Watching his campaign ads it was a little jarring because they essentially paint him as a Democrat, but who happened to win the GOP nomination.  I don't know if he'll win, but Kate Brown has been completely uninspiring.  

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Not sure why anyone would vote Republican when you look at their voting track record. Almost all Republicans still actually vote on legislature for Trump 90+% of the time, so who cares if they "speak out" against Trump?

In the end, voting record is all that matters guys. 

Trump doesn’t have almost anything to do with the legislative agenda, he really isn’t even interested in legislation since he has no control over it.

Even his judicial appointments come from outside sources :p

Forgot to mention what I voted for here in Utah. I'll just mention some of the highlights:

Senate: I chose Jenny Wilson over Bagged White Bread and Skim Milk. She is going to lose even though she was born and raised in Utah and has worked in the public sector here because her opponent is the embodiment of the prosperity gospel. And people here are all about that.

Amendment B: Against giving a tax break to landowners who lease their property to the government

Prop 2: For medical marijuana

Prop 3: For expanding Medicaid

Prop 4: For redistricting congressional map

Any other candidates for any other positions I voted in priority D, I, UUP (United Utah Party), since conservatives need to be punished. I refrained from voting if there were only Libertarian or Republican candidates for a position.

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2018 at 6:13 PM, Ghost_MH said:

Also I think it’s important to keep in mind that for most people at the national level, Massachusetts = Boston. Mass is a liberal place generally but rural areas are more likely to vote Republican here just like everywhere else. 

10 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Also I think it’s important to keep in mind that for most people at the national level, Massachusetts = Boston. Mass is a liberal place generally but rural areas are more likely to vote Republican here just like everywhere else. 

"Liberal." It has people in the urban areas to go Democratic, but there's definitely that Puritanical streak that makes it less socially liberal than you'd expect for a blue state.

I mean fuck happy hour is still illegal in Massachusetts. Even Virginia lets you have it and just bans advertising it.

I voted around 6:30 like I always do...and I have to say, there was a way more people there than usual. Normally there around 10-15 voters. Today there was easily 100+. 

Not that this means anything, I actually live in a very red area, it was just an observation. 

• Thanks 1