How The Connors dealt with Roseanne's departures (spoilers)

SaysWho?

Roseanne died on her way back to her home planet

In the first episode, Dan (John Goodman), Jackie (Laurie Metcalf) and Roseanne's children are three weeks into dealing with the aftermath of her sudden death from what they believe to be a heart attack.

It doesn't take long, however, for the truth to come out: Roseanne died as a result of opioid abuse.

44 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Watching Roseanne without Roseanne was about as hard as I expected.

But Goodman and Metcalf were amazing as always, and Gilbert....well, she did her best.

Goodman’s acting was great as per the norm, but, physically, he looked awful. I don’t know if this was meant to show Dan reacting physically to the circumstances or if Goodman simply looked awful, though.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Goodman’s acting was great as per the norm, but, physically, he looked awful. I don’t know if this was meant to show Dan reacting physically to the circumstances or if Goodman simply looked awful, though.

Yeah, I don't know of they were playing it up for effect.

While I am sure it's good for his health, Goodman has always been one of those guys that just looked better husky. And he is getting up there in age.

Losing the weight over the years probably does someone no favors when staving off the turkey neck that most of us get when we age.

38 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Yeah, I don't know of they were playing it up for effect.

While I am sure it's good for his health, Goodman has always been one of those guys that just looked better husky. And he is getting up there in age.

Losing the weight over the years probably does someone no favors when staving off the turkey neck that most of us get when we age.

The way his face, eyes, and skin tone were made it seem like he didn’t or barely ate in several days. You could tell from his skin that his glycogen was basically all but gone and there was virtually no water being held in his skin - it’s possible that he simply went a method-actor approach and starved himself for a day or two prior to filming to make the grieving seem real, though. 

Yeah well we'll see how the ratings for the show are after Rosanne was fired. Top execs at ABC are worried they made the wrong decision to immediately fire her thinking the show will now tank. It was highly rated before because of Rosanne and the "right" meets "leftist" balance. Killing her off will probably kill the entire show. 

4 minutes ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

Yeah well we'll see how the ratings for the show are after Rosanne was fired. Top execs at ABC are worried they made the wrong decision to immediately fire her thinking the show will now tank. It was highly rated before because of Rosanne and the "right" meets "leftist" balance. Killing her off will probably kill the entire show. 

I thought the same thing, but apparently the Conners debut was about in line with last seasons finale. Which itself was much lower than the series premiere, but it indicates the loss of Roseanne might not be as big a deal for the series ratings as many thought.

42 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I thought the same thing, but apparently the Conners debut was about in line with last seasons finale. Which itself was much lower than the series premiere, but it indicates the loss of Roseanne might not be as big a deal for the series ratings as many thought.

It doesn't indicate anything, except that people are curious how the show writes her out. I fully expect it to drop like a rock once people's curiosities are satisfied.

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

It doesn't indicate anything, except that people are curious how the show writes her out. I fully expect it to drop like a rock once people's curiosities are satisfied.

Yep. General interest of the fiasco is what drew people to the first episode because it's an event. But once the show gets going normal where it's strickly about all the supporting characters then we'll see where the real ratings go. 

4 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

As already mentioned, the premier indicates nothing: people watched to see how they killed off the Roseanne character and the reaction to it from the other characters. The next two episodes will be the indication if the loss of Roseanne affects ratings.

9 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

??? Yeah?

I'm confused lol

9 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m guessing he’s referencing the OG finale where Dan was dead?

I'm referencing that thread posted a while back that declared that John Goodman was still alive and then bumped it sometime later to say he's still alive but people thought he might be dead when it was bumped (or something like that)

It was a good thread!

9 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm referencing that thread posted a while back that declared that John Goodman was still alive and then bumped it sometime later to say he's still alive but people thought he might be dead when it was bumped (or something like that)

It was a good thread!

RIP in peace?

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

As already mentioned, the premier indicates nothing: people watched to see how they killed off the Roseanne character and the reaction to it from the other characters. The next two episodes will be the indication if the loss of Roseanne affects ratings.

I mean, I guess we'll see what happens but it doesn't seem like the people who made a fuss about dropping the show because of their political butthurt would be tuning in to see how Roseanne died. The only question they seemed to care about was answered when Barr was fired.

For those who might be on the fence for non-political reasons(which I can relate to) I think the show did enough to convince them to keep watching without Roseanne.

But hey, I guess we'll see.

27 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I mean, I guess we'll see what happens but it doesn't seem like the people who made a fuss about dropping the show because of their political butthurt would be tuning in to see how Roseanne died. The only question they seemed to care about was answered when Barr was fired.

It’s called hate watching, see: our president and virtually any tweet he made about a news channel or tv show :p 

On 10/18/2018 at 1:13 PM, Chairslinger said:

20 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I have talked to many people that tuned in just to see how they would handle it that did not watch at all last season. So of this premier had the same viewers as the finale, then a lot of viewers from season 1 just didn't bother with season 2. 

So with the tourists gone that will not be good for the show going forward.