Anime thread about nothing really. Just testing the prefix.

If you haven't watched Life Cycle of an Anime Fan you should. It is kinda spot on even if the order varies for mer personally. 

When I did start watching anime it was Pokemon. I even got the VHS tapes as Christmas gifts. As I got a wee bit older I tried watching as much anime on Toonami (before the AS version) as I could. The issue with that was that I could not keep up with the episodes and could never keep up with any of the plots. Outside of Toonami there was shit like Medabots and Zatch Bell that my brother and I loved watching and owned a good amount of toys/cards from both series. 

In early middle school is when I started watching most of the "good anime," Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and some other ones. I bought a few Inuyasha dvd boxsets and all 26 trigun episodes. I also bought a few other series that I would never watch now. Like, Girls Bravo. Complete shit that one. I originally thought that my anime consumption had slowed down in middle school and most of high school, but it actually didn't. I just didn't actually consume all that much in the first place and it was over showed by how many games I was playing. 

LBWGVXQ.jpg

IyJ7EyS.png

That is the vast majority of anime and manga I actually own. The rest is here and there, as I do own every Spice and Wolf Season and Light Novel. Clannad also isn't shown. Also, DearS totally gave me a slave girl fetish, btw. And most of this was bought in 8th-9th grade. No, not he Gears books. 

Still, this isn't all that much in the grand scheme of things. It wasn't until like 11th or 12th grade when I really got into anime. That is mostly due to netflix. There was a shit ton of dubbed anime on there. Spice and Wolf, Clannad, Full Metal Panic, Chobits, Dragonaut: The Resonance, and more that I can't remember.  Clannad was what really gave me that first feeling of "the void." This was also the start of my love for anime games. It was at this point where Netflix just wasn't having enough anime to watch. So, I found other ways to watch anime. Code Geass was one of the first anime I watched on my computer, where everything before was on Netflix(360), TV, or I just bought it at Best Buy. It also gave me "the void" feeling and I still consider it to be one of the best anime of all time. The ending was just too perfect. Even still, at this point my anime consumption wasn't too bad. 

Then I saw High School DxD. Before High School DxD, everything I watched was dubbed.

I was just browsing the net one day and I came across a .gif and a naked red headed anime girl with giant anime titties. And shit that was it. I watched it Subbed and that started everything. I watched anime series after anime series. I could no get enough. I started hating dubs and now I can't stand them. I watched so much fucking garbage, but I didn't even know it. I was in love.  In total I have watched somewhere between 130-200 unique anime series. It is a wide range, but I never really kept track of this shit I was watching until I was deep in it. While some more hardcore anime lovers will say that isn't a lot, it fucking is. And that isn't even including the amount of manga I started consuming when I first started getting tired of anime. Also, there is a fair amount of shit that has over 100 EP. I have finished Bleach, watch all of base Naruto, and then watched 500 of One Piece twice. With One Piece I watched the first 500 episodes, and then I thought that wasn't enough so I watched it all over again. So it is 1K or 500 twice. And there is also Ippo which was great. 

Then in 2015-2016 I kinda got burnt out. And I haven't really watched or finished any series since then, manga included. I switched over to reading translated Chinese and Japanese Light/web novels but there aren't that many of those in comparison to anime. Although some of the Chinese ones had hundred of chapters per series and they still aren't over and now over over 1k chapters. I have really slowed down on that as well as the Japanese ones don't get translated fast enough, and the Chinese ones really drag out their content and have lots of BS padding. I didn't even know books could have padding. 

Now it is June 26th, 2018 and I don't really watch anime. I haven't started a new series or went back to watch an old one at all this year. I tried watching an anime or three in 2017 but there wasn't one I finished. I won't say I am done with anime, but it will take something really special to get me to watch another anime. Maybe Spice and Wolf Season 3, lol.

You'd be surprised at some of the anime titles that have been released over the 2017-2018 year currently, because some of the shows outside of the usual mediocrity have hooked me rather well.

I just finished watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These, and while I've never watched the OVA, the show has been one of the many highlights for this Spring 2018 season.  I'm a little annoyed with how the finale ended since

Spoiler

The Battle of Astarte supposedly is confirmed to be a movie/OVA release for next year.  It's like waiting for a few months for the Yamato 2202 episodes to be released.  :\

(Btw can we make this the anime thread if anything? :D )

I am more old school anime and after mid 90's most of the anime I haven't liked and tends to feel the same.

I am looking to try and pick up the last Blu Ray disks for the Yamato series and look forward to the new series (which takes forever)

Need to get around to watching the new releases for Evangeline.

2 hours ago, JVC920 said:

I am more old school anime and after mid 90's most of the anime I haven't liked and tends to feel the same.

I am looking to try and pick up the last Blu Ray disks for the Yamato series and look forward to the new series (which takes forever)

Need to get around to watching the new releases for Evangeline.

Megalobox might be something for your tastes if you're into the old school anime, especially since it's a Ashita no Joe project

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Random: I just binged Inuyashiki with my wife. It's a short eleven episodes. It does a great job of recreating the manga, even if I never realized how much crying was in the manga until I saw it animated. Good stuff.

BANG.

DADADADADADADADADADADADADADADADADADADA

1 hour ago, darkness35 said:

Megalobox might be something for your tastes if you're into the old school anime, especially since it's a Ashita no Joe project

BANG.

DADADADADADADADADADADADADADADADADADADA

It's ridiculous how intimidating those stupid, mouthed, gun sounds wonderful up being as the stores went along. Great anime with not at all annoying CG, even if it is noticable at times.

As to the question in the OP, I started with all the stuff find in the back of Blockbuster. I think that wound up being stuff like Ninja Scroll and Akira. The first anime I ever imported were some Kodomo No Omocha bootlegs. I think my first anime VHS was Ghost in the Shell. God, I remember dropping like $150 on a Record of Lodoss Was box set from a Suncoast way back when. Same place I picked up my first anime DVD, Perfect Blue.

I haven't had a lot of time for anime as of late. Before binging Inuyashiki, I think the last anime I completed was the second season of Attack on Titan or Mob Psycho 100. I caught those around the same time.

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, Rev said:

I started watching anime at the beginning of the pandemic and I think I've seen over 100 series since then.

200.gif

I'm pretty sure I'm at like...a quarter of that :p

The one that really sticks out in my head is finally getting around to Asobi Asobase. That series is so fucking good.

37 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Still pretty great, but why have a 4K HD bluray without HDR? Will grab that version online then most likely.

Sounds like they'll make the HDR version available next month. If you bought the non HDR version they'll replace it

akira-blog-feature.jpg
BLOG.FUNIMATION.COM

The highly anticipated AKIRA 4K, featuring the film in 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray and SDR is out now, but we know you want the highest-quality format possible.

@Greatoneshere Also it looks like they finally released the Heaven's Lost Property movie. If you recall I noted this last year when I went through the series. So this is good news. 🤔

SHOP.FUNIMATION.COM

Beautiful and otherworldly Ikaros’ connection with Tomoki is deeper than she originally thought. Now she’s starting to feel empty and confused—with new emotions that she’s had little experience with. How will she pick up the pieces after what comes next?

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Sounds like they'll make the HDR version available next month. If you bought the non HDR version they'll replace it

akira-blog-feature.jpg
BLOG.FUNIMATION.COM

The highly anticipated AKIRA 4K, featuring the film in 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray and SDR is out now, but we know you want the highest-quality format possible.

Thank you for the heads up! Actually cancelled my order and gonna get the HDR version, I can wait a little longer but great this is coming.

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

akira-blog-feature.jpg
BLOG.FUNIMATION.COM

They have been giving out the HDR version for a long time, and they are an absolute pain in the ass to deal with.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...