Battlefield V - Official Single-Player Campaign (why does this even exist?) trailer

Commissar SFLUFAN

2 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

SURPRISE...it's not! :p

Though I really gotta ask the Polygon writer: why did you have any expectations to begin with in order for you to be disappointed?

You know it's a real shame that DICE can't seem to make a good single player campaign. I love a good story, and Battlefield could absolutely do it, but either DICE only does it to check that box, and they really don't care enough to put some real effort into it, or they actually do try, but lack the necessary talent to make a compelling single player mode.

1 hour ago, bladimir2k said:

I find it ironic that the battlefield series started off mostly as a multiplayer game. COD forced their hands to add a campaign to their series, now COD is going the other way and only releasing a multiplayer game and is successful at it.

Shooters should be multiplayer games. 

31 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Shooters should be multiplayer games. 

I don't truly agree with this statement as there have been great single player shooter games with great story that don't need to be multiplayer games. (e.g. current wolfenstein series)

Also I vaguely remember that one of the talking points regarding why battlefield started adding campaigns was that gamers were not seeing the value of just a multiplayer game at the current time on consoles. They looked at COD and they had a whole package, single player campaign, multiplayer and zombies for $60. Gamers did not want to pay $60 for just a multiplayer game. Times have change with the introduction of Overwatch, PUBG, Fortnite and games being more a service over time than just a single player experience. Gamers are more accepting of a game just being one mode I think.

1 hour ago, bladimir2k said:

I find it ironic that the battlefield series started off mostly as a multiplayer game. COD forced their hands to add a campaign to their series, now COD is going the other way and only releasing a multiplayer game and is successful at it.

i agree...but I always enjoy both COD and BF SP campaigns. They are quick, cinematic 5-6hr romps. 

However, in the case of BF, it seems that their approach to a "live service" seems that they are releasing key features post-launch. i would much rather they just do away with it since everyone really only plays BF for the MP anyway. 

DOOM 2K16 says otherwise!

2 hours ago, bladimir2k said:

I don't truly agree with this statement as there have been great single player shooter games with great story that don't need to be multiplayer games. (e.g. current wolfenstein series)

Also I vaguely remember that one of the talking points regarding why battlefield started adding campaigns was that gamers were not seeing the value of just a multiplayer game at the current time on consoles. They looked at COD and they had a whole package, single player campaign, multiplayer and zombies for $60. Gamers did not want to pay $60 for just a multiplayer game. Times have change with the introduction of Overwatch, PUBG, Fortnite and games being more a service over time than just a single player experience. Gamers are more accepting of a game just being one mode I think.

I think you both misunderstood me. Games like Doom or a Halo are absolutely great single player shooters. I’m speaking about COD or Battlefield/Battlefront type games. Those games are multiplayer based and really don’t need a single player campaign. 

5 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I think you both misunderstood me. Games like Doom or a Halo are absolutely great single player shooters. I’m speaking about COD or Battlefield/Battlefront type games. Those games are multiplayer based and really don’t need a single player campaign. 

Oh gotcha!

Yeah, BF/CoD definitely don't need campaigns (especially BF)

6 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Well now I understand you biggie! :p Ya grouped all shooters into one category without explanation!

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

But modern warfare single player was awesome.

Oh gotcha!

Yeah, BF/CoD definitely don't need campaigns (especially BF)

See I've never liked this sentiment. If Battlefield actually has consistently good campaigns I think we'd all be singing a different tune. I mean look at the older CoD campaigns, like CoD1, 2, and 4; all great campaigns that are enjoyable, fun, and replayable, and are in addition to the fun multiplayer. 

We seem to only have this mentality that Battlefield doesn't need a campaign because they've all been so bland. If they can finally crack the code to making a fun campaign I'm all for it. 

6 hours ago, Biggie said:

Yeah but COD started out as single player, the multiplayer didn't get good until later games.

On 10/19/2018 at 8:14 PM, SFLUFAN said:

@Brick - OK, I'll grant you the CoD campaigns as being damned fun for what they are, but DICE has swung and missed with the campaigns for BF3, BF4, and BF1.  It's really not worth the effort or considerable resources to keep at it.

Yeah it's getting rather perplexing how they can't seem to make a decent campaign game after game. I'd say they should at least outsource to a different studio, but they did that for Battlefront II and even that didn't work!

On 10/19/2018 at 5:14 PM, SFLUFAN said:

@Brick - OK, I'll grant you the CoD campaigns as being damned fun for what they are, but DICE has swung and missed with the campaigns for BF3, BF4, and BF1.  It's really not worth the effort or considerable resources to keep at it.

Bad Company 2 counts as well for this. And Mirros Edge series, story wise.