Warren takes the DNA test

20 hours ago, legend said:

Interesting thread.

So basically she is probably more indigenous than the DNA test shows, and most of the talking points in the press (about the whole .18% average) are wrong, and so she is in fact much more indigenous than most white people.

All of that will be lost in the debate, of course, because the average person doesn't understand genetics and will focus solely on her physical appearance. At the same time, she shouldn't have even re-started this discussion, because it misses the whole point of culture and ancestry (and calls into Trump's trap).

She also is too old to be President and should not run.

28 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

So basically she is probably more indigenous than the DNA test shows, and most of the talking points in the press (about the whole .18% average) are wrong, and so she is in fact much more indigenous than most white people.

All of that will be lost in the debate, of course, because the average person doesn't understand genetics and will focus solely on her physical appearance. At the same time, she shouldn't have even re-started this discussion, because it misses the whole point of culture and ancestry (and calls into Trump's trap).

She also is too old to be President and should not run.

Yep, I completely agree. It seems the claim of heritage is not unreasonable (though perhaps not how she's always wielded it), but the public won't care or notice anyway.

2 hours ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

What a great comment to share. Thanks NYT 

What the fuck is a "shrill" feminist? Is that a feminist that bothers to fight for gender parity? Hot damn. 

And while I agree that as much as I love Warren, she's not a great Democratic presidential candidate in terms of winning. However, I don't think Warren "wants to tell working class men they are wrong about everything". That's ridiculous. That may be the perception of her, but this commenter is presenting it as a basic fact. The whole comment is extremely stupid and poorly worded. 

2 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Johnathan is not wrong though.  It's probably similar to why someone like MItt Romney lacked appeal towards working class women. 

Yes, he is. It may be the perception of some people, but Warren is not "a shrill feminist who wants to tell working class men that they are wrong about everything." That's a deeply stupid statement.

6 minutes ago, legend said:

Yes, he is. It may be the perception of some people, but Warren is not "a shrill feminist who wants to tell working class men that they are wrong about everything." That's a deeply stupid statement.

Also HRC appealed to voters. Her issues as a candidate aside, it’s bizarre how someone who won the popular vote gets called out that way somewhat often. 

7 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Also HRC appealed to voters. Her issues as a candidate aside, it’s bizarre how someone who won the popular vote gets called out that way somewhat often. 

Any D could have won the popular vote against Trump. 

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

Any D could have won the popular vote against Trump. 

I don’t know that’s true even though it’s likely but it also isn’t the point. HRC got almost the same turnout Obama did in 2012. The location of those missing votes was obviously crucial, 2012 Obama was an incumbent, etc., and I’m not saying she didn’t have problems as a candidate. I just don’t understand the retcon to the extent that the NYT opinion page is promoting comments that basically boil down to, “if you thought THAT smart woman had baggage wait until you see THIS one.”

If Warren runs in 2020 against Trump she needs to play Rihanna Bitch Better Have My Money. Trump really is welching on a bet he made himself. Trump has been slamming Warren for years on this issue. He is the one that has made it a big deal. He won't pay because that is how he rolls. Offers money to charities on camera and never follows through.