Warren takes the DNA test

The paper said she has less than 0.10 native DNA, and that native DNA is between 6-10 generations back.

Her claim previously (and I don’t blame her, but it seems likely a tall tale by her parents) is that her mother’s native heritage was so well established that her paternal grandparents rejected the relationship.

But outside of proving that 1.) she knew she wasn’t really native, and 2.) she intended to use the status for a specific personal gain...it just doesn’t matter. Lots of people believe things about their family history that isn’t true.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The paper said she has less than 0.10 native DNA, and that native DNA is between 6-10 generations back.

Her claim previously (and I don’t blame her, but it seems likely a tall tale by her parents) is that her mother’s native heritage was so well established that her paternal grandparents rejected the relationship.

But outside of proving that 1.) she knew she wasn’t really native, and 2.) she intended to use the status for a specific personal gain...it just doesn’t matter. Lots of people believe things about their family history that isn’t true.

I'm 100% Irish.  Just don't make me take a DNA test. :beatup:

Why do we still waste time complaining about how crass, vulgar, and offensive he is?

I think Patton Oswalt said Trump started out as a pig in shit - no one's surprised when you point out that there's some shit on the pig.

The fact of the matter is that we now live in a world based on trolling. Trump is the head schoolyard bully, and his base is his do-nothing entourage that hangs around the bully, snickering while he gives people wedgies. The question isn't What do we do about Trump, it's What do we do about half our idiot country?

Like I said, I think we're screwed. Is it hard to move to Vancouver?

19 minutes ago, Scott said:

Why do we still waste time complaining about how crass, vulgar, and offensive he is?

I think Patton Oswalt said Trump started out as a pig in shit - no one's surprised when you point out that there's some shit on the pig.

The fact of the matter is that we now live in a world based on trolling. Trump is the head schoolyard bully, and his base is his do-nothing entourage that hangs around the bully, snickering while he gives people wedgies. The question isn't What do we do about Trump, it's What do we do about half our idiot country?

Like I said, I think we're screwed. Is it hard to move to Vancouver?

Vancouver WA is easy to move to. 

54 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

My grandmother absolutely used to claim that I was 1/32 Cherokee and I would wager that there a fuckton of white people who have been told that too. I didn’t have much of a reason to think about it or even question it until I heard a suspicious amount of white people say they had some percentage of Cherokee descent specifically. 

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

My grandmother absolutely used to claim that I was 1/32 Cherokee and I would wager that there a fuckton of white people who have been told that too. I didn’t have much of a reason to think about it or even question it until I heard a suspicious amount of white people say they had some percentage of Cherokee descent specifically. 

I went to college with a guy who carried a laminated card in his wallet that declared he was 1/64th Cherokee. He got a (small) check from the Tribe every few months.

The more LOL-y part of this whole thing is that a significant number of white people in this country still believe that whiteness is a lesser perk in this nation than whatever random small perk one might get for being a racial/ethnic minority.

Nahhhh, man, being white is the cheat code.

Just now, Jose said:

When I was younger, I used to REALLY struggle with whether it was morally ok for me to declare myself as a Latino/Hispanic on school applications.

Despite being half black/half white, I always mark white when given only one option. Most of the time now you can choose “all that apply” so I mark both. But it would give me an icky feeling to just mark black because it would simply be for selfish gain.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

Despite being half black/half white, I always mark white when given only one option. Most of the time now you can choose “all that apply” so I mark both. But it would give me an icky feeling to just mark black because it would simply be for selfish gain.

Well can prospective employers tell you're part black by appearance? If so, I wouldnt have an issue with it.

1 minute ago, Jose said:

Well can prospective employers tell you're part black by appearance? If so, I wouldnt have an issue with it.

I just meant in regards to school. For my bachelors, there was only one option allowed. By the time I did my masters, it was choose all that apply on all such forms.

"if she can prove she is an Indian." Guess Trump won't be giving that $1M cuz she is 1/32 Native American  not Indian. 

And I apparently have some NA in me. It was either my (paternalGrandma's Mom or her mom that was, "full blown Native American," at least that is what my mom told me. That is what I was told after I expressed my doubts that my family has any real NA in them. Still not quite sure I believe it. Well, I don't believe it. So yeah.  

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I just meant in regards to school. For my bachelors, there was only one option allowed. By the time I did my masters, it was choose all that apply on all such forms.

Ah. I think you would be fine checking off just black as one option, but I totally get where you're coming from. No one would question if "Jose (really Latino sounding last name)" was Latino, but I think I am technically not, which gives me pause to check it off. A friend much smarter than me once told me I was being ridiculous because any past or further employers that dismiss my resume immediately because of my name won't be like "oh hmm I wonder if his family is actually from Spain."

3 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Yep.  This DNA test in no way helps Warren.  It helps Trump - at least with his base. 

Trump's base at this point is nothing but true deplorables and you'll never change their mind about anything. IT's like he said, he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and he wouldn't lose supporters. Those people would claim Fake News or find some way to justify it. Those people are beyond redemption.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Lots of people believe things about their family history that isn’t true.

I remember being told by my grandfather all through my childhood that we were German, our family name was German. I just kind of accepted that my whole life, until a few years ago when I actually took the time to research the names of my family members and found out it's almost all Scottish/English/Welsh. :shrug:

Oh, and that same grandfather often touted how his grandmother was 1/4 Cherokee, making me think that little bit of Cherokee blood I got from my great-great-grandmother was really something special. I honestly kinda doubt she had any Indian blood, but whatever. Families tell these stories for generations. At the end of the day, it's not  big deal.

14 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Warren taking the test is her saying she won't be Swift-boated. She will fight back.

Not sure showing you have .09% Native DNA, and at your closest a partly Native relative 6 generations back is a great way of fighting back in a swift boating situation :p 

40 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Not sure showing you have .09% Native DNA, and at your closest a partly Native relative 6 generations back is a great way of fighting back in a swift boating situation :p 

This is her saying to Trump, "I was right, you are wrong, I caught you in a lie, and oh by the way here are a whole bunch of your other lies."

Why are we discussing this 21 days before the midterm? Shit like this is how you lose working class white voters who voted for Obama then Trump. Everyone knows Trump is full of shit, including those voters that put Trump in office. Trump is like a Republican Governor in a deeply blue state, they typically only get there because the super majority state Democrats had some kind of corruption scandal and enough voters want to give the other party a try. You don't win back power by pointing out the Republican Governor is an asshole, they'll just point back to the scandal ("Hillary is worse!"). You win by fixing the issues that made you lose in the first place (in Pennsylvania Wisconsin and Michigan). Playing Trump's stupid games does nothing of value for the Democrats. Hardcore Trump voters don't care, swing Trump voters roll their eyes, and this does nothing to motivate the Left. 

4 minutes ago, johnny said:

This was a dumb move by her. “Let’s keep confronting trump and his made up BS even though his supporters don’t care and won’t believe you”. But hey at least those liberals with twitter fingers have more to tweet about. 

You know who wouldn't have walked right into this trap? Avenatti. 

8 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:

Trump is like a Republican Governor in a deeply blue state, they typically only get there because the super majority state Democrats had some kind of corruption scandal and enough voters want to give the other party a try. 

That's not actually true. Many Republicans are just good at branding themselves separately from the national party, like Baker in Maryland. Republicans have been pretty competitive in Massachusetts' governor's mansion for a while despite all House seats and Senate seats easily going Democratic, as well as their presidential vote. Red-state Democrats are also good at branding themselves the same way, which is why you've had plenty of Montana Democratic governors and competition in the US Senate there.