Rockstar employees were working 100 work weeks for Red Dead Redemption 2 (also, how RDR2 was made) UPDATE: Rockstar responds

SaysWho?

The Kotaku piece did a good job of describing the culture at Rockstar and how much extra time was expected of people. I'd be interested to know how it compares to people at Blizzard in particular. Blizzard has long been a company with resources to sustain long developments and has historically been unafraid of delaying games to get them right. It's possible that the industry is just so infused with the idea of crunch time that it's not much different over there or anywhere else, but whether or not that's the case, Blizz seems like a good point of comparison.

This whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth because it feels like the product isn't worth the effort. These huge budget AAA games are fun, but rarely do they mean much to anyone. Regardless of how good RDR2 is, it will never equal the sum of its parts.

• Guillotine 1

16 hours ago, TwinIon said:

The Kotaku piece did a good job of describing the culture at Rockstar and how much extra time was expected of people. I'd be interested to know how it compares to people at Blizzard in particular. Blizzard has long been a company with resources to sustain long developments and has historically been unafraid of delaying games to get them right. It's possible that the industry is just so infused with the idea of crunch time that it's not much different over there or anywhere else, but whether or not that's the case, Blizz seems like a good point of comparison.

Through this whole thing Blizzard keeps popping into my mind as well. Like you said they’ve never been afraid of long Dev times and long delays to get a game right. So I’m curious what their culture is like. 

12 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

What, specifically, don’t you like about it? 

Or is this gonna be a new bit? 

The controls are horrid. Like inexcusably bad for a game of this level in this day and age. Not only are they incredibly clunky but they employ archaic design like mashing A to sprint. 

The game itself is riddled with boring menotonis tasks like needing to eat and cleaning your gun and such. It’s like they added this stuff just to say they added realism but did nothing to make them interesting or even feel like necessary mechanics. Look at Breath of the Wild that included the need to wear different clothing in hot or cold. That was implemented very well. This stuff is not. 

Like I’ve said I’m about 6 hours in. I’ve done a bunch of missions out in the open world and while the world is gorgeous it’s just...boring. I can see where some people love the feeling of actually “living” in the game. But to me the game “so far” is just really boring and with the clunky archaic gameplay it isn’t even really that fun to play. 

Just now, Biggie said:

Pretty much everything. But the main thing is it’s not fun to play. 

That is the vaguest critique you could possibly concoct. 

I’m happy to hear specific gripes. But if the thing is gonna be just go in to any red dead thread and, “I don’t like it because it’s not fun,” I just don’t see the point of that. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

The controls are horrid. Like inexcusably bad for a game of this level in this day and age. Not only are they incredibly clunky but they employ archaic design like mashing A to sprint. 

The game itself is riddled with boring menotonis tasks like needing to eat and cleaning your gun and such. It’s like they added this stuff just to say they added realism but did nothing to make them interesting or even feel like necessary mechanics. Look at Breath of the Wild that included the need to wear different clothing in hot or cold. That was implemented very well. This stuff is not. 

Like I’ve said I’m about 6 hours in. I’ve done a bunch of missions out in the open world and while the world is gorgeous it’s just...boring. I can see where some people love the feeling of actually “living” in the game. But to me the game “so far” is just really boring and with the clunky archaic gameplay it isn’t even really that fun to play. 

I thought the controls were a bit awkward at first, but I do think there is a lot going on and once you get the weapon / item wheel controls under your belt (I think that was the most unintuitive piece), it's all pretty straightforward. The movement in Rockstar games has always been a bit deliberate and can be frustrating in tight spaces, but I think generally 90+ percent of the time that feel makes their games look really great in motion. I could see how it wouldn't necessarily click with someone, but I think inexcusably bad it quite hyperbolic. 

The tasks are there, and you can take them or leave them. I'm not gonna fault someone for not wanting to do that stuff. But I'll say they're certainly not necessary. I find them engrossing, and I think the way the world reacts to if you do or do not do certain things is really cool. It's something games have been saying they're gonna do for over a decade, and some have tried the most shallow attempts, but this is on a whole different level. I don't see what's different about the breath of the wild system (other than being a lot shallower), which left you swapping into menus just to change clothes a lot during that game, and the consequence for not is simply death. 

I think the game maybe just isn't for you. I think your gripes are more about the spirit of the game not working for  you, rather than things being objectively bad.

27 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

That is the vaguest critique you could possibly concoct. 

I’m happy to hear specific gripes. But if the thing is gonna be just go in to any red dead thread and, “I don’t like it because it’s not fun,” I just don’t see the point of that. 

I’ve posted what I don’t like before and don’t see the need to post the same things again. I’m trying to push forward. 

30 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

@Paperclyp this ^

22 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I responded to that. I’m interested in what you think. You can post that you don’t like the game multiple times in different threads, but you can be burdened to say why? 

How is that pushing forward?

No, you misunderstood me. I’m pushing forward trying to advance the story in the game. 

Okay here goes....

Movement is janky. You either slog around like you are in quick sand or you press X and you take off like a track and field star. 

Doing basic things like parking your horse or getting a weapon from the saddle is a slow process. Even getting back on the horse just seems too slow. 

Keeping up with things like eating or feeding your horse aren’t fun they are mundane. Cleaning your guns, hunting, gathering ingredients or supplies takes away from the game in my opinion. It’s too real if that makes sense. 

The quests/missions lack excitement. Fist fights seem slow and uneventful. I do like the weapons and randomly shooting people with them. That part is at least fun. But when it comes to looting the bodies it just again seems cumbersome. Holding a button takes too long.  I wish you could just tap a button and bring up what that person has on him/her and take what you want. 

Talking to townspeople requires holding down L2 and then you also have to choose what you want to do. Ask a question, intimidate, etc. Again it all goes back to pacing. The game rolls along at a very boring pace. For me at least. 

There is almost too much to learn/do with basic lifestyle game mechanics. I’d like a more linear game that focused on story and less on actual realism. 

I am going to keep playing with the hopes of once I unlock more things such as perks, stamina, weapons etc. the game will become more fun for me. I’m not trying to trigger anyone. If you enjoy the game and think it’s great I’m happy for you. To me it seems to be somewhat overrated and over hyped. 

• Like 1