Google Pixel 3: made for the stupidest MFers on the planet.

Emblazon

I understand that Google wants to push this feature because it's computationally a very difficult problem, but the commercial comes off as saying "let your phone make sure you're not a complete idiot." Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if they just didn't have the people misidentify those thing so obviously wrong. I don't know that that spiky fruit thing is or what obelisk that was or exactly what kind of little animal that was, so maybe it is actually useful, but I'm certainly not going to mistake that for the Eiffel Tower.

Still, I think I'll be upgrading to a Pixel 3. I want to hold one first, but I think the notch on the XL is just too big, and the screen on the regular 3 is a tiny bit taller and a tiny bit narrower than on my Pixel XL, so it's really a much smaller phone, but should be a nicer one.

Or call Abe Lincoln Thomas Jefferson... when the name is directly over the statue. :lol:

This thread was more about to the commercial than commentary on the phone--I'm sure the Pixel 3 is a perfectly wonderful phone, still with the best-in-class camera. 

But that commercial shows us that Idiocracy is a lot less than 500 years away. 

2 hours ago, Emblazon said:

Or call Abe Lincoln Thomas Jefferson... when the name is directly over the statue. :lol:

This thread was more about to the commercial than commentary on the phone--I'm sure the Pixel 3 is a perfectly wonderful phone, still with the best-in-class camera. 

But that commercial shows us that Idiocracy is a lot less than 500 years away. 

I realize there are a lot of very ignorant people in the world (I'm certainly one of them), but do you think that those were actual people misidentifying those things or just an advertising campaign? :thinking:

22 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I realize there are a lot of very ignorant people in the world (I'm certainly one of them), but do you think that those were actual people misidentifying those things or just an advertising campaign? :thinking:

The sad part is that question even needs to be asked. :lol:

7 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

This phone seriously only has 4GB of ram, the S8+ from to years ago had that much. S9+ has 6GB and the same SD845. Talk about staying behind the curve. Pixel phones suck for the premium prices they charge compared to Samsung.

For what it's worth, I've heard some people defending the 4 GB as saying that it does increase battery life, since RAM is always powered. Nevertheless, I would prefer more RAM and a bigger battery, myself, though I suppose this would increase the cost and perhaps the size of the phone. 

11 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

This phone seriously only has 4GB of ram, the S8+ from to years ago had that much. S9+ has 6GB and the same SD845. Talk about staying behind the curve. Pixel phones suck for the premium prices they charge compared to Samsung.

Can you elaborate on this? For my next phone I'm gonna switch away from iPhone, and the Pixel 3 was my top choice. Most of the reviews I've read have been glowing.

41 minutes ago, Scott said:

Can you elaborate on this? For my next phone I'm gonna switch away from iPhone, and the Pixel 3 was my top choice. Most of the reviews I've read have been glowing.

The specs arms race in phones is largely irrelevant. The Pixel 3 has as much memory as the iPhone Xs, and while Android still isn't quite as good at managing it as the iPhone, I've never really had an issue with the memory on my Pixel XL.

If you're going with the Pixel over other android phones, I think it's probably worth recognizing that the hardware in general is simply not the best in class. It's using modern processors and I wouldn't classify the memory as being an issue, but in terms of overall fit and finish, the Pixel simply isn't quite as good as Samsung and Apple. It's not bad, like some of the LG or HTC phones, and it's certainly not cheap, but it's still a step down from the leaders. What keeps me on the Pixel is the software experience. I'd argue it's pretty much on par with iPhone in terms of consistency.

It's fast, it doesn't bog down over time, it quickly does what you expect it to do and does so cleanly. One of the things that bothered me about my Samsungs was that it would be a speed demon at times, but either through age or bugs or something else, I'd end up lagging or the scrolling would start jumping or the camera app would take longer to open than it should. A reboot would fix most of it, but there was an inconsistency to performance that I don't get on my iPad. I also didn't get a lot of added value from the extra features that Samsung provided, so I preferred the cleaner software experience. I also haven't used a Samsung phone long term for the last couple years, so it's possible they've gotten better.

Also, the camera is simply best in class. I haul around my real cameras as much as possible, so I never really cared that much about the camera in my phone, but I've really enjoyed having such a capable camera on my phone.

2 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

Samsung has it all, better software and specs with an amazing camera. Pixel is just boring.

Definitely can't agree on software. Stock android is best android.

Also prefer pixel for guaranteed updates.

Lastly Bixby lol

Samsung does sometimes include better alternatives to the standard Google software. Samsung Pay is clearly superior to Android Pay, for instance (although part of that is due to hardware). But on the whole, yeah, Samsung isn't where you go if the software is your primary concern. 

17 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

The notion of boring or exciting OS software is chronically bizarre to me. I will never understand it.

The things certain consumers care about in virtually every product category will give a reasonable person an eye twitch.

”Exciting OS!” 

:jordan: