Would anyone be able to recommend a great modem/router for online gaming?

GameDadGrant

My old NetGear hardware is starting to show its age and I have to regularly "bump" it in order to connect online lately. I was going to simply replace them (modem and router) with more current NetGear stuff, but...is there a better option? 

Specifically for gaming - there is a lot of Fortnite being played at my house, LOL.

I recommend the Netgear Nighthawk routers. Depending on your budget they are pretty great for gaming because you can just plug and play and by default have priority queuing and QoS settings optimized for gaming. 

NETGEAR R6700 Nighthawk AC1750 Dual Band Smart WiFi Router, Gigabit Ethernet (R6700) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R2AZLD2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_wTJVBbE4EHMFH

This is one I bought for my nephews as they both play Fortnite on two separate Xboxes in the same house. The old router they got with their internet service wasn't able to allow them to both be online at the same time with an open nat so they would always have issues. Once I got the. The Nighthawk router and tweaked it for them they haven't had any issues since. 

2 hours ago, The def star said:

I recommend the Netgear Nighthawk routers. Depending on your budget they are pretty great for gaming because you can just plug and play and by default have priority queuing and QoS settings optimized for gaming. 

NETGEAR R6700 Nighthawk AC1750 Dual Band Smart WiFi Router, Gigabit Ethernet (R6700) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R2AZLD2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_wTJVBbE4EHMFH

This is one I bought for my nephews as they both play Fortnite on two separate Xboxes in the same house. The old router they got with their internet service wasn't able to allow them to both be online at the same time with an open nat so they would always have issues. Once I got the. The Nighthawk router and tweaked it for them they haven't had any issues since. 

This is what I have. No complaints.

10 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I’ll piggyback off this thread. I’m tired of paying Comcast to rent my router so I’m lookong to buy my own. Would these ones you guys mentioned work or do I need a different type?

I use the Nighthawk with Xfinity. You should be fine.

15 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I’ll piggyback off this thread. I’m tired of paying Comcast to rent my router so I’m lookong to buy my own. Would these ones you guys mentioned work or do I need a different type?

As long as you  have a modem, from Comcast you should be good.  I use my router with my AT&T modem that they provided.

I would be careful buying the low-end Netgear modem if you have a lot of Wi-Fi connected gear in your house, particularly if you have multiple people streaming/gaming at the same time.  Their higher end routers would be ones to consider.  I have also heard great things about the Asus routers -- but don't own one (yet).  Hoping to set up an AiMesh network in my place -- and hoping their AX routers aren't ridiculously priced.

Edit:  Netgear released a "v2" of their R6700 router mid-last year that has downgraded (i.e. cheaper) internals.  YMMV