James Gunn's "The Suicide Squad" OT - update: new poster released, new trailer 26 March 2021

On 3/30/2021 at 6:11 PM, SoberChef said:

The feather in the cap is that Taika Waititi is heavily rumored to voice freaking Starro! This is going to be so much fun!

Is that a rumour or just fan casting and wishing? Not that I would be opposed to it.

"Hey min, I'm here to conquer your planet, just wanted to know if you'd like to be subjugated, not that you have a choice, but don't let that intimidate you; just wanted to be polite and ask."

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Brick said:

"Hey min, I'm here to conquer your planet, just wanted to know if you'd like to be subjugated, not that you have a choice, but don't let that intimidate you; just wanted to be polite and ask.

Holy shit that is spot on 

10 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

@Brick

the-suicide-squad-cast-taika-waititi-nat
COLLIDER.COM

James Gunn is set to reunite with Nathan Fillion and director his MCU counterpart Taika Waititi in Warner Bros.' DC Comics movie, 'The Suicide Squad.'

Well we already knew about Fillion, but I guess Waititi probably really is Starro then. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Part of me is interested in seeing this only because they're doing a really good job of not focusing on Harley Quinn, unlike the previous installments involving her. Every time they focus on her as the selling point, they sort of go the completely wrong direction with their films. And this is coming from someone who actually likes the character.

Apparently this movie is SUPER violent. Like, more violent than we typically expect from an R-rated superhero flick, perhaps would have even earned an X rating a few years ago. Gunn must have had a field day letting loose after making two movies for Disney.

ems.ZW1zLXByZC1hc3NldHMvbW92aWVzLzAyYTFm
WWW.ROTTENTOMATOES.COM

Welcome to hell--a.k.a. Belle Reve, the prison with the highest mortality rate in the US of A. Where the worst Super-Villains are kept and where they will do anything to get out--even join the super-secret, super-shady Task Force X. Today's do-or-die assignment? Assemble a collection of cons, including Bloodsport, Peacemaker, Captain Boomerang, Ratcatcher 2, Savant, King Shark, Blackguard, Javelin and everyone's...

wow this is one of the best-rated DC films ever :O

So it's infinitely better & far more coherent than the 2016 debacle. Lots of laughable moments that were enjoyable & the characters were, for the most part, quite likeable & personable. The style that exists isn't in lieu of substance, but enhances it. Always have been a massive King Shark fan & that character delivers in spades. Cena may have found THE perfect role in Peacemaker & I'm anxious to see that show whenever it airs. Idris killed it as always while David "Dat-Small-Chin" is sublime in everything he does so that's an automatic win! Overall, I'd give it a solid 7/10 (maybe 7.5) & it does have moments that I would totally enjoy watching again.

• Thanks 1

It’s fun enough, but it feels like a weird hedge between Guardians, which wears its heart on its sleeve as its strength, and something like The Boys, where everyone is behaving badly all the time. This generally works but it never really has the feels of Guardians nor the pathos of The Boys. Just about everything that happens here is profoundly stupid which is fine until it wants you to care about a specific character for a tick, then it gets stupid again. And it pulls that trick a BUNCH of times.

Definitely worth the stream if you’ve got HBO Go, and hey it’s not four motherfucking hours long.

• Haha 1

Absolutely loved it.  I don’t think it’s any more violent than most action movies but it’s way gorier in what they show. Sometimes it’s gross, sometimes it’s funny, sometimes it’s awesome, and sometimes it’s kinda existential? It’s almost like a class in violence haha. I don’t think it’s a fault that it’s mostly silly/crazy and then it pulls you in to care for a little bit before going right back to being silly because that’s who those characters are at their core and it also earns those brief emotional moments. 

At the end of the day, like the movie or not, it’s another DC movie that’s infinitely more interesting and memorable than anything Marvel has photocopied lately. 

10 hours ago, johnny said:

i enjoyed it but i didn’t think it was anything special 

This is where it lands for me. You can feel the GOTG formula and its starting to get stale . My biggest complaint is Harley Quinn, I am burned out on the "LoL i Am So RaNdOm" schtick . King Shark, Rat catcher 2 and Polka Dot man where the standouts for me.

2 hours ago, SimpleG said:

This is where it lands for me. You can feel the GOTG formula and its starting to get stale . My biggest complaint is Harley Quinn, I am burned out on the "LoL i Am So RaNdOm" schtick . King Shark, Rat catcher 2 and Polka Dot man where the standouts for me.

That's what I said on the other page more or less based on the trailer and everyone jumped on my ass. :p

My problem is that I find the character of Harley Quinn to be annoying as hell. She was great in the old 90s cartoon, but she's morphed into this really weird creation.

She's like the most "male" version of an empowered woman ever created. Everything about her character feels completely wrong.

I'll admit that I haven't watched/read much of her recent stuff, but that's because it always turns me off so quickly.

1 hour ago, ort said:

My problem is that I find the character of Harley Quinn to be annoying as hell. She was great in the old 90s cartoon, but she's morphed into this really weird creation.

She's like the most "male" version of an empowered woman ever created. Everything about her character feels completely wrong.

I'll admit that I haven't watched/read much of her recent stuff, but that's because it always turns me off so quickly.

She's not interesting in this movie. The whole subplot of her getting married and then killing that guy is one of the silliest plot dumps ever, and not the fun kind of silly, it's just lousy.

I think that's the larger issue with the movie, the whole revolutionary / US coverup of alien research... thing is completely unnecessary and half baked at best. The movie wants us to simultaneously care about the revolution happening but ignore the population getting wiped by Starro. Guardians 2 had this problem as well, giving Yondu a hero's sendoff after it's revealed tat he participated in the abduction of and was complicit in the killing of hundreds if not thousands of children. But the Guardians don't pointlessly and remorselessly slaughter a village of freedom fighters we're then immediately supposed to care about so 2 of the characters can have a pissing contest.

It's just sloppy.

And this is hardly a revelation, but... John Cena might not be great at acting? Or maybe he just wan't really given anything interesting to do here?