James Gunn's "The Suicide Squad" OT - update: new poster released, new trailer 26 March 2021

34 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

yeah but it's not as if we haven't seen different actors play the same characters before. We've had 5 or 6 Batman's, 3 different Spider-men (or something like 11 if you include all the ones from Into the Spiderverse, lol) so I don't think that is that big of a deal. And I definitely think if Gunn is writing it, he'll do a heck of a better job of introducing the various characters than the original SS movie did. 

I think he meant more that it'll be confusing having the same actor playing a different version of the same character.

44 minutes ago, Jason said:

I think he meant more that it'll be confusing having the same actor playing a different version of the same character.

Exactly.  This is more along the lines of bringing Christian Bale back as Batman... but in a new universe where those other batman movies didn't happen.

I'm not dogging the movie I think it could be good.  Just may be confusing.  If this is going to be a comedy they should probably go the Deadpool route and just address the absurdity of it in the script.  

1 hour ago, Slug said:

That's fine.  In the end if it's entertaining that's all that really matters.  How many reboots/retellings of the Spider-Man origin have we gotten over the years?

2 in twenty plus years if we’re only counting Films. Not really that many. The MCU Tom Holland reboot didn’t retell his origin. Just skipped right to “dude trying to be Spider-Man”. 

Three film batman reboots and each one “ my parents died!” :cry: and showing it. 

If the shit stain that is Suicide Squad somehow impacts your enjoyment of this one you got a fucked up mind. I don’t give a shit about any of those characters. SS can easily be wiped out of my mind. It’s barely even in there as it is 

2 hours ago, johnny said:

If the shit stain that is Suicide Squad somehow impacts your enjoyment of this one you got a fucked up mind. I don’t give a shit about any of those characters. SS can easily be wiped out of my mind. It’s barely even in there as it is 

Right. When watching Suicide Squad staring Margot Robbie, you should put Suicide Squad staring Margot Robbie completely out of your mind. 

9 minutes ago, number305 said:

Right. When watching Suicide Squad staring Margot Robbie, you should put Suicide Squad staring Margot Robbie completely out of your mind. 

I don’t see what’s so difficult lmao. Just ignore the last one 

2 hours ago, fuckle85 said:

So is this basically confirming the entire DCEU will be rebooted?

The DCEU as imagined by Snyder ended with Justice League. This has been confirmed and reconfirmed a million times.

You'll have to forgive me for my sins fellas but it's pretty confusing to someone who isn't following any movie or TV media about DC Comics that isn't Legends of Tomorrow.  I just know there are now self-contained movies based on DC characters, direct sequels to Snyder's DCEU using the same actors that are still in production, sequels which will be using new actors, and now sequels reboots staring mostly the same cast but have nothing to do with the DCEU?  It seems like a clusterfuck.  

22 minutes ago, fuckle85 said:

You'll have to forgive me for my sins fellas but it's pretty confusing to someone who isn't following any movie or TV media about DC Comics that isn't Legends of Tomorrow.  I just know there are now self-contained movies based on DC characters, direct sequels to Snyder's DCEU using the same actors that are still in production, sequels which will be using new actors, and now sequels reboots staring mostly the same cast but have nothing to do with the DCEU?  It seems like a clusterfuck.

I agree with you and I'll be avoiding every DC movie until they actually figure out a plan. They need someone like Kevin Feige to come in and restart everything from step 1. "Too many cooks spoil the soup" is what's wrong with the DCEU.

RIP DCEU :rose:

6 hours ago, fuckle85 said:

So it's a self-contained film, like the upcoming Joaquin Phoenix Joker movie?

The first SS squad movie wasn't self contained.  It had Batman in it.  

I also don't see how the new one will be self contained since Margot is going to be playing Harley in another movie (with poison ivy).

The Joaquin Phoenix movie can be it's own thing, but having the same actors playing the same roles in different movies but saying they are unrelated is going to confuse the heck out of people.

4 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

I agree with you and I'll be avoiding every DC movie until they actually figure out a plan. They need someone like Kevin Feige to come in and restart everything from step 1. "Too many cooks spoil the soup" is what's wrong with the DCEU.

RIP DCEU :rose:

They already have a plan, and Hamda is the Feige you’re looking for.

5 hours ago, fuckle85 said:

It is really simple, they are building movies moving forward that work on their own terms with no grand plan for a team up movie. But the door remains open for a team up movie in the future, but such a beast isn’t even on their roadmap for the next 3 or 4 years.

Separate from that, Warner will allow filmmakers to do one-shots with DC characters like this Joker flick starring Phoenix.

Basically, Warner is gonna go back to what it does best which is to give talented directors the creative freedom to make great movies instead of trying to create a series like the MCU. And I’m glad, the MCU formula is stale.

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

But you don't think audiences are going to assume that when it's the same actor playing a character, that the movie is supposed to be connected to previous movies?

I don’t think they will care so long as the movies are good. I’m not even sure how much people remember from previous entries in these comic book movie series. Like, opening night for End Game I doubt I would run into more than a dozen people out of the 500 who will be at my theater that can tell the general plot of Thor 1. So even if they make a connection between the first and second Suicide Squad movie, they probably hardly remember what the movie was about.

I just don’t think it matters all that much.

• 5 months later...
5 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I will never, ever understand the appeal of any aspect of Booster Gold.

I don't know how they ended up evolving the character. I think I only read the first couple of years, but what I remember was when he first showed up he was this incredible arrogant dude from the future with fantastic tech that made him seem as if he had superpowers. Kind of like an Ironman without the Ironman suit, and that just seems perfect for Nathan. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 4:46 PM, EternallDarkness said:

https://deadline.com/2019/08/suicide-squad-nathan-fillion-rookie-star-joins-cast-james-gunn-movie-1202702610/

no clue who he will play, but when I think DC universe, Nathan seems like a great choice for Booster Gold. 

He voices green lantern in many of the DC animated movies. 

• 11 months later...