What are the best purchases you went cheap on? Which do you regret?

Chris-

Best: White dress shirts. They last about two wears before they are irreparably soiled, so I see no reason to buy nice ones (colors/patterns are another story). 

Worst: My car, a used 2014 Subaru Impreza. It’s a nice, efficient car for what I need, but it’s incredibly basic (no rear view camera, no seat warmers, it doesn’t even have cruise control). I wish I would have paid a little extra to get something with some of those features.

14 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Best: White dress shirts. They last about two wears before they are irreparably soiled, so I see no reason to buy nice ones (colors/patterns are another story). 

Worst: My car, a used 2014 Subaru Impreza. It’s a nice, efficient car for what I need, but it’s incredibly basic (no rear view camera, no seat warmers, it doesn’t even have cruise control). I wish I would have paid a little extra to get something with some of those features.

yeah, but who ever uses cruise control, turn your head to park, and wear a jacket in the winter!

Best: My wife is Slovak so we try to go visit her family every year or two. When we fly, we fly with Austrian Airlines from Newark NJ to Vienna. We buy the cheapest ticket possible because Austrian Airlines has a bid mechanic that allows you to be upgraded to Business class. When we first started doing this, the lowest bid allowed was $250 so of course we bid $251 and more often than not we got upgraded. Austrian must have got wised to it because they bumped it up to $450 I believe. We don’t do it anymore. 

Worst: In college, I drove an Acura Integra. Due to going to school in the North East, the salt ate away the muffler and I had to replace it. Acura quoted me some price that I scoffed at and said I can get it done cheaper elsewhere.  The real reason I didn’t want to pay the quote price was because I wanted to build a new computer and couldn’t afford both. Instead, I went to some random mechanic I found in town. He replaced the muffler for half the price. Within 18 months, the new muffler got a hole in it. I went back to the mechanic and basically said it was my fault because I wanted the cheapest price so  he used the cheapest parts possible. I eventually brought to Acura to get a replacement. Lesson learned 

• Guillotine 1