Google+ shutting down over next 10 months after users' data is exposed, company knew about issue since March

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45792349

It said a bug in its software meant information that people believed was private had been accessible by third parties.

Google said up to 500,000 users had been affected.

According to a report in the Wall Street Journal, the company knew about the issue in March but did not disclose it.

The WSJ quoted an internal Google memo that said doing so would draw "immediate regulatory interest".

Everything about this is dumb. I actually liked Google+ as a place to share photos. There just wasn't anyone to, you know, share photos with there. I stopped using it years ago after this became apparent.

Either way. Update: https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/9/17957312/google-plus-vulnerability-privacy-breach-law

TLDRL This wasn't actually a breach and there is no evidence that anyone's data was stolen. Google patched the issue back when it was first discovered that this the API call could theoretically be used in a malicious manner...not that anyone ever tried to use it in a malicious manner.

Seems to me that Google was already planning to shutter Google+ to non-GSuite users and is just using this as an excuse to either announce their plans or hasten its death.