Dragon Ball Super: Broly movie trailer

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

https://screenrant.com/dragon-ball-super-broly-opening-box-office/

Dragon Ball Super: Broly has enjoyed a monstrous opening day in U.S. theaters, estimated to earn over $7 million. Going back as far as 1986, the Dragon Ball franchise has now delivered a total of 20 feature-length animations and while some of these have proved popular in the West, others have been instantly forgotten. However, after a long quiet period for Goku and friends, 2013's Battle of Gods breathed new life into the series, resulting in a brand new anime TV show, Dragon Ball Super, and a follow-up movie that saw the resurrection of the infamous Frieza. Unlike many of those older movies, Dragon Ball's newer cinematic installments are considered canon and this has resulted in the last three releases having an "event" feel around them.

was able to watch this yesterday, and it was really good, but had some really odd narrative choices:

It's pure eye-gasm candy. The animation is fantastic, the fight choreography is fast and entertaining, and the story treats the Broly character very decently. And I think what most impressed me was the literal weight of each fight, feeling every punch and every fireball as being bigger and more damaging than any of the fights you might see in the regular series battles. The backdrop animation looked great, and the luscious colors used for every power up, every hair color, and every explosion really is a treat (if you're the type of person who doesn't get a headache from such things). The cg didn't bother me one bit, mostly because there aren't a lot of scenes that try to focus on it as a main object on screen, so I wouldn't worry about other reviewers commentating on how bad it all is.

Spoiler

But even with the fantastic visuals, there are misses with the narration. Some of the changes to the older movie stories are confusing and very lacking here. Broly and Vegeta's altered origins were fine enough. But then Goku's changes had no rhyme or reason to them. Plus, the commitment to the changes were awkward as well. In the Bardock tv special he had his own crew, his loser kids, and his suspicions of Frieza, and it was all fine. But then this movie made complete changes for him while recreating literal shot-for-shot scenes from that original special that made no sense here. The best kind of example I can give would be if this new movie put him in a flower field, but then in the very next scene he was in the same original tv series planet atmosphere with damaged armor right when Frieza destroys the Saiyan home world. And what makes this so distressing is that there were zero transitions or explanations between the two scenarious. Why was he fighting? Who was he fighting? Why was he messed up? How the hell did he end up in front of Frieza's ship from where he was last seen in the very last scene?? It felt like there were edits made to this movie that omitted the basic set ups for what was clearly on screen and they weren't being explained.

And while the edits were odd, some of the motivations of the central story were lacking. Broly is not a villain in this movie, and is just an unfortunate victim of circumstance. Which again, was a good change of his origin just cuz it gave him actual motivations beyond Goku crying next to him as a baby. But then everything about Broly with these changes did not justify the fights and his rage. It's so odd. I think Akira Toriyama just wants to make every Saiyan a good guy now, and sadly Broly is changed without much thought of making him the villain of this movie because he's been a great villain of the other movies anyways.

Still, it's a fun Dragonball spectacle with fun cameos and a beautiful animated fight (long fight!). You can definitely tell there are a couple Superman origin stories being lifted here (Goku and Broly), but that's okay. The fight music is truly terrible, but eventually blends into the experience of the movie and goes away after awhile. And character designs are familiar and good looking, but I think it's just gonna take a couple of years of rewatching this and seeing where the series eventually leads to really know how you should feel about how this movie changing the older lore of the franchise now.

B+

I wanted to see it and was at the theater ready to buy the tickets with my son at one of theaters showing it in Chicago but the tickets were too much for my liking and I was still gonna eat there cause I was starving and still had to account for IL tax. The guy said the price was due to the limited restrictions and they'd were gonna have it offered longer than other theaters.

NOOOOOPE

I can wait for the Bluray release which will be less than the cost of those 2 tickets together. I'm patient.

13 minutes ago, Hurdyb1 said:

I wanted to see it and was at the theater ready to buy the tickets with my son at one of theaters showing it in Chicago but the tickets were too much for my liking and I was still gonna eat there cause I was starving and still had to account for IL tax. The guy said the price was due to the limited restrictions and they'd were gonna have it offered longer than other theaters.

NOOOOOPE

I can wait for the Bluray release which will be less than the cost of those 2 tickets together. I'm patient.

Anime movies always have a premium on top of the actual ticket cost. I think I paid $15 (regular tickets range from $9-$11) to go see Princess Mononoke in theaters a couple months back.

Nothing beats the theater experience for me though, it just doesn't compare to watching it in my basement so its worth it for me :shrug:

20 hours ago, Nokt said:

Anime movies always have a premium on top of the actual ticket cost. I think I paid $15 (regular tickets range from $9-$11) to go see Princess Mononoke in theaters a couple months back.

Nothing beats the theater experience for me though, it just doesn't compare to watching it in my basement so its worth it for me :shrug:

I didn't know that about anime tickets as this would have been the first one I would have seen. Guess I won't be seeing any in theaters. 

With today's technology, I learned that theater experience is no longer important to me as it once was. The main reason I even go to the theater now as much as I do is so that I can be in the know and not have stories spoiled for me. 

21 minutes ago, Hurdyb1 said:

I didn't know that about anime tickets as this would have been the first one I would have seen. Guess I won't be seeing any in theaters. 

With today's technology, I learned that theater experience is no longer important to me as it once was. The main reason I even go to the theater now as much as I do is so that I can be in the know and not have stories spoiled for me. 

Fathom events is the ones who usually do these types of movies around me. They charge a premium mostly because they know they can.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Reputator said:

Do you have to be up-to-date on the Super series to see this? I've only watched the Golden Frieza arc and that's it.

No u need not have seen it... it touches upon Super a little (does kinda sorta spoil an arc)...  but really the main thread through all dragonball is "hey heres a stronger fighter!"

It rewrites the history of the main characters mostly

11 hours ago, Nokt said:

Fathom events is the ones who usually do these types of movies around me. They charge a premium mostly because they know they can.

It is not because “they know the can”. Fathom does not own the content it distributes, so it has to give a share of ticket sales to the rights holder and the theater that books it, while other films only have the right holder and the theater to split the ticket.

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

It is not because “they know the can”. Fathom does not own the content it distributes, so it has to give a share of ticket sales to the rights holder and the theater that books it, while other films only have the right holder and the theater to split the ticket.

While I'm sure there is some actual cost behind why they charge a higher price.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2407422/the-real-reason-fathom-events-cost-a-little-bit-more-than-the-average-movie-ticket

We do research on it, and we do intentionally price our events a little higher than what a normal movie ticket would be, because we believe that we bring added value and a special experience to most of our events.

EDIT: Formatting, words.

18 hours ago, Reputator said:

Do you have to be up-to-date on the Super series to see this? I've only watched the Golden Frieza arc and that's it.

Some of the newer transformations will be spoiled, they briefly touch upon the last arc of the TV show as well.

Overall though, no, you don't really need to be up to date on it.

10 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

No u need not have seen it... it touches upon Super a little (does kinda sorta spoil an arc)...  but really the main thread through all dragonball is "hey heres a stronger fighter!"

It rewrites the history of the main characters mostly

Except

Spoiler

Why is Freiza alive? What’s Ultra Instinct? Who’s Zeno-samma?

It may not be overwhelming, but you’re going to be a bit lost without at least reading a Super summary.

:shrug:

18 hours ago, Reputator said:

9 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Some of the newer transformations will be spoiled, they briefly touch upon the last arc of the TV show as well.

Overall though, no, you don't really need to be up to date on it.

In summary, Goku can turn red, turn blue, and black(?), and each form is stronger in that order. 

You are all caught up.

33 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

In summary, Goku can turn red, turn blue, and black(?), and each form is stronger in that order. 

You are all caught up.

Not black, and not really. Black was a character, not a form. Also, he saw the previous two movies (which take place after Z and are the first two arcs of super revealing SSJ God and SSJ Blue).

Let me elaborate as to why I think going in with a summary of Super would be a good idea: when I was a kid, prior to Funimation getting the DB rights, I was on Race St in Philadelphia with my parents (basically Philly’s China town), we walked by a store that had a “Dragon Ball Z Movie!!!”, bootlegged and subbed obviously, I bought it because I loved the show. My only exposure was the Bandai/Saban dub, meaning my knowledge ended with Goku arriving on Namek and beating Recoom (that’s where the OG dub ended). The movie was apparently #12, Fusion. I watched it and, while I could follow it, I was still super confused: why did their hair turn yellow? Who the F are these kids? Why is Gohan so old and wearing a Power Ranger costume? Why does Freiza look like this (I only knew his first form)? Why are Goku/Vegeta dead? Who’s this wannabe Piccolo?

I mean, obviously, going into Super’s Broly movie has a lot less questions, but, I still recommend just reading a quick summary of the Super arcs after the Resurrection of Freiza arc, it’ll take less than 10 minutes, and watching the Broly movie is going to spoil most of the plot from those arcs anyway.

24 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Not black, and not really. Black was a character, not a form. Also, he saw the previous two movies (which take place after Z and are the first two arcs of super revealing SSJ God and SSJ Blue).

Let me elaborate as to why I think going in with a summary of Super would be a good idea: when I was a kid, prior to Funimation getting the DB rights, I was on Race St in Philadelphia with my parents (basically Philly’s China town), we walked by a store that had a “Dragon Ball Z Movie!!!”, bootlegged and subbed obviously, I bought it because I loved the show. My only exposure was the Bandai/Saban dub, meaning my knowledge ended with Goku arriving on Namek and beating Recoom (that’s where the OG dub ended). The movie was apparently #12, Fusion. I watched it and, while I could follow it, I was still super confused: why did their hair turn yellow? Who the F are these kids? Why is Gohan so old and wearing a Power Ranger costume? Why does Freiza look like this (I only knew his first form)? Why are Goku/Vegeta dead? Who’s this wannabe Piccolo?

I mean, obviously, going into Super’s Broly movie has a lot less questions, but, I still recommend just reading a quick summary of the Super arcs after the Resurrection of Freiza arc, it’ll take less than 10 minutes, and watching the Broly movie is going to spoil most of the plot from those arcs anyway. 

The only thing I remember them saying about the previous arcs (besides Freiza being alive) is that Goku realized that he needed to be stronger after the tournament. Seeing Beerus and Whis might throw you off a little bit, but they have zero impact on the story. No one else is even mentioned and you don't even see most of the old gang. This is a pretty good standalone movie to see (though most of the DBZ movies have been that way).

I wish Cooler would have made an appearance. That would have been a cool little thing to throw in there.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Except

Reveal hidden contents

It may not be overwhelming, but you’re going to be a bit lost without at least reading a Super summary.

:shrug:

True enough but theres not enough thrown into the movie for it to leave "major" gaps in the story...

to be honest the only "story" in Super which I would want not spoiled would be:

Spoiler

the Goku Black Arc... Tournament of Power ending was predictable..(regardless of how many angels are evil" theories fans came up with

1 hour ago, Nokt said:

The only thing I remember them saying about the previous arcs (besides Freiza being alive) is that Goku realized that he needed to be stronger after the tournament. Seeing Beerus and Whis might throw you off a little bit, but they have zero impact on the story. No one else is even mentioned and you don't even see most of the old gang. This is a pretty good standalone movie to see (though most of the DBZ movies have been that way).

I wish Cooler would have made an appearance. That would have been a cool little thing to throw in there.

I’m not going to see the movie until I can see it in Japanese as I have come to greatly dislike the English voices and the seemingly random changes in dialogue from the original, so I was mostly guessing as this movie is likely (one of) the next anime arc(s) if/when the show returns. :sun:

Cooler isn’t cannon, sadly. It’s a shame as movie 5 (Cooler’s Revenge) could take place canonically during the time between Mecha-Freiza and the Androids (while everyone was preparing for the Androids) except for Higha Dragon (Icarus) being in the movie making it impossible to be cannon. :/ 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

@Spork3245 I was more referencing ultra instinct. He kind of has a black aura. 

It’s silver/gray unless it looks different in the movie :p 

12 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m not going to see the movie until I can see it in Japanese as I have come to greatly dislike the English voices and the seemingly random changes in dialogue from the original, so I was mostly guessing as this movie is likely (one of) the next anime arc(s) if/when the show returns. :sun:

Cooler isn’t cannon, sadly. It’s a shame as movie 5 (Cooler’s Revenge) could take place canonically during the time between Mecha-Freiza and the Androids (while everyone was preparing for the Androids) except for Higha Dragon (Icarus) being in the movie making it impossible to be cannon. :/

Thats why I was hoping he would appear, to make him cannon. His movie doesn't necessarily need to be cannon, I mean thats essentially what they did with Bardock, Broly, Paragus, etc in this movie. 

7 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Thats why I was hoping he would appear, to make him cannon. His movie doesn't necessarily need to be cannon, I mean thats essentially what they did with Bardock, Broly, Paragus, etc in this movie. 

Yea, I meant they’d have to present him in the show/manga not just potentially this movie to make him cannon. Technically, the last two movies aren’t 100% cannon as the anime/manga had differences in their presentation.

Knowing Toriyama, he likely forgot that he even created Cooler for movie 5, just like he forgot that SSJ3 existed (he forgot that there was a difference with SSJ1 and SSJ2 :| )

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yea, I meant they’d have to present him in the show/manga not just potentially this movie to make him cannon. Technically, the last two movies aren’t 100% cannon as the anime/manga had differences in their presentation.

Knowing Toriyama, he likely forgot that he even created Cooler for movie 5, just like he forgot that SSJ3 existed (he forgot that there was a difference with SSJ1 and SSJ2 :| )

I don't ever really pay attention to the manga, so that would make sense why this movie is cannon. I just figured it was different this time around with the movies.

1 hour ago, Nokt said:

I don't ever really pay attention to the manga, so that would make sense why this movie is cannon. I just figured it was different this time around with the movies.

These (Battle of Gods and onward) movies are “mostly” canonical as Toriyama was involved beyond a simple character design (script/story/writing), and the anime/manga uses the movies for arcs (but more fleshed out). The previous movies were all Toei with Toriyama only involved for an occasional character design (iirc, just Cooler/team, Broly, Bojack/team, and Hildegard). There are only a handful of the previous (Z) movies that can fit into the timeline of the series, and if they have a Toei-made character then they’re out completely. I think it’s pretty much just the Bojack movie (which could take place immediately after the Cell saga) and #13 (Hildegard) which would take place immediately after the Buu saga but before the time jump in the final episode. The Deadzone movie gets argued as possible (movie 1), but, for it to work it would need to be prior to Raditz arriving on Earth, which means none of the characters would be surprised Goku had a kid when Raditz does arrive (meaning it’s not possible, and also means we can thankfully skip that horrendous Garlic Jr arc that Toei threw into the anime as it’s not even canon! :D )

The manga pre-super is MUCH better paced than the anime, IMO, as there’s none of the god awful filler from Toei and battles move at a much better pace, I highly recommend giving it a read (I’ve read through it an insane amount of times) :sun: . Though, for Z, you could just watch Kai and more-or-less get the pacing of the manga. :p 

I haven’t read Super’s manga yet as I’m waiting for it to get (awhile) past where the anime ended.

8 hours ago, Nokt said:

While I'm sure there is some actual cost behind why they charge a higher price.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2407422/the-real-reason-fathom-events-cost-a-little-bit-more-than-the-average-movie-ticket

EDIT: Formatting, words.

Of course they will try and make it sound like it is a premium experience, but their events cost more because they are a middle man. Three entities splitting the ticket instead of two. It’s really that simple.

Their pricing used to be worse when they required theaters to have special fathom hardware to play their content. Now most fathom content is delivered via DCP by Deluxe (who handles 99% of studio content). 

If you're up to date on the dub, the episode that aired on the 12th gets you to a point where you have enough information that nothing is really getting spoiled by seeing the movie.

Spoilers up through the dub, and what's shown in the Broly movie:

Spoiler

Universe 7 winning the tournament and still existing, beyond just kind of being obvious will happen given it's Dragon Ball, is implied by the fact that they're continuing the story post-Super. Since the dub has covered Frieza being recruited, I felt like the only thing that got spoiled was that Frieza winds up getting what he wanted regarding being resurrected permanently and not just for 24 hours, which isn't really that big of a deal to have spoiled IMO.

45 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Of course they will try and make it sound like it is a premium experience, but their events cost more because they are a middle man. Three entities splitting the ticket instead of two. It’s really that simple.

Their pricing used to be worse when they required theaters to have special fathom hardware to play their content. Now most fathom content is delivered via DCP by Deluxe (who handles 99% of studio content). 

Yeah I mean, most of whats being charged is cost, but I still wouldn't doubt that they are putting more on top of it just because they can. $1 million off of 4 showings of grease seems like a lot to me.

15 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Yeah I mean, most of whats being charged is cost, but I still wouldn't doubt that they are putting more on top of it just because they can. $1 million off of 4 showings of grease seems like a lot to me.

2800 showings, 4 for each of the 700+ locations it played at. Do the math...they aren’t very well attended.