Aquaman (12/21/18) - Tomatometer Watch

Pikachu

On 10/6/2018 at 9:58 PM, Dre801 said:

I think he's fine as Aquaman, but I. . . .I just don't give a shit about this. 

Marvel should just counter it with The Submariner, lol.

WB/DC have cleverly turned Aquaman into  The Submariner so... Marvel has it's work cut out for them bringing a Sub Mariner film out and differentiating him enough from an Aquaman film.

10 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Early social media reactions are coming out now and they're pretty positive. I tend to mostly ignore hyperbolic social media reactions, but the more reasonable ones seem to equate it to a phase 1 MCU film like Thor. That's actually far better than I would have expected.

Every DC film gets positive social media buzz. The studio knows exactly who their influencers are and how to make them happy.

It's not that I don't think James Wan is capable of making a good Aquaman movie, but I won't let WB hype me for another potential flashfest, either. I'm guessing it has some cool action sequences and little in the way of character. But we'll see. (Although not in theaters, for me at least.)

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently Aquaman is already blowing up the box office in China.

I'm not convinced that it'll do particularly well here competing against Spiderman, Deadpool PG-13, Bumblebee, and Mary Poppins. Still, I think I've been underestimating this film and people's desire to see it.

Brief non-spoiler thoughts: 

I saw this Saturday night at an Amazon Prime showing. It's a BLAST. I'd put it about on par with Wonder Woman, but with a much better 3rd act. Momoa is charming, Heard is perfect as Mera (she was my favorite part of the movie), and Patrick Wilson's Orm was a great villain. Black Manta looked awesome, but he was the only spot where I had some minor nitpicks. 

All in all, a damn fun time at the movies. Action packed, funny, and a bit of an underwater "Star Wars meets LotR" kind of feel. James Wan was left alone by WB to do his thing, and he swung for the fences and gave us something pretty great. 

Man of Steel is still my personal favorite DCEU film (this is where I lose 90% of you :p), but like I said - this is on par with WW and has a better 3rd act. Give it a shot, there is definitely some life left in this universe. Great starting point to rebuild after Justice League.

On 12/7/2018 at 4:06 PM, TwinIon said:

Apparently Aquaman is already blowing up the box office in China.

Still, I think I've been underestimating this film and people's desire to see it.

You underestimate the amount of middle aged or older women wanting to see a shirtless good looking man while also being a good movie for their kids.

14 minutes ago, eggydoo said:

You underestimate the amount of middle aged or older women wanting to see a shirtless good looking man while also being a good movie for their kids.

After watching the most popular DC heroes repeatedly fail at the box office, I underestimated the potential quality and box office draw of a third tier character like Aquaman.

That... was not bad. Hokey dialogue, yes. But GREAT visuals and some of the best action sequences in a comic movie to date. Not the best DC movie but definitely not the worse.

On 10/7/2018 at 8:59 AM, cusideabelincoln said:

Looks like a fun competent Marvel movie, which is an improvement over the other DC films. My worry is there seems to be a lot of ground they are covering. What is the runtime? 

This is a good description.  It is a decent Marvel level of movie. The movie is 2 and a half hours long and at times it feels like three different movies. There's a little bit of every genre in this.

Just watched this and it screamed 80s adventure movie to me.  Some of the scenes were just awful and unnecessary.  

Spoiler

Loved the part where in Sicily, he helped a guy that had his leg squashed by 1000lbs of rock get out.  Then the dude just pops up and walks away......the theater I was in couldn't help but laugh.  Also when black manta's dad died in the beginning, like wtf...wouldn't water make it easier to move that torpedo?

I also couldn't help laughing how defeated each person was when their trident broke.  I'm sure that was full sexual innuendo there.  You broke my stick, now I am a defeated man!

This is better than most Marvel movies. Not saying it’s amazing or anything but DC always gets trashed and this is easily on par and better with most of the marvel stuff. Many won’t admit it, but it’s the truth. 

Its a long movie and there are a few lol worthy parts like what eggy mentioned in the spoiler but it’s really inconsequential.

8 minutes ago, johnny said:

and this is easily on par and better with most of the marvel stuff

uh, no. just no. I really want the DC flicks to be as goods, but as I said, no! 

So I am not as familiar with Aquaman as I am with some of the other DC characters, but has he always been on par with Superman? Dude get shots with a rocket and all he can say is umm ouch. Granted there has to be a different genetic make up for those people to be able to survive at the pressure at the bottom of the ocean but 

Spoiler

the Black Manta tests his ray by blowing up that massive rock but he hits Aquaman dead-on with it and it only blast him through a wall...don't even scratch him...hell, doesn't even damage his clothing!!! WTF he was wasn't wearing armor just cargo pants and a t-shirt. 

Most marvel films are average, at best. People come into these DC movies expecting the worst and pick holes in them as they’re watching the movie. If he can take a rocket to the chest he can take a rocket to the chest. They’re fucking super heroes for gods sake. Marvel has a nice coat of polish that helps cover their averageness. Granted their recent movies have been a real step up, but idk what to say to people who don’t think this is on par with most marvel movies. Thank god for James Wan 

• Guillotine 1

3 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

uh, no. just no. I really want the DC flicks to be as goods, but as I said, no! 

So I am not as familiar with Aquaman as I am with some of the other DC characters, but has he always been on par with Superman? Dude get shots with a rocket and all he can say is umm ouch. Granted there has to be a different genetic make up for those people to be able to survive at the pressure at the bottom of the ocean but 

Reveal hidden contents

While Aquaman is pretty tough in the comics,  this portrayal in the film is more akin to Marvel's Namor who has a look ways been depicted as a tough bad ass. Anquan had definitely gotten an upgrade on the comics, but movie Aquaman is Namor essentially.

Aquaman is basically DC apeing the Marvel formula and it works for the most part. It's about as good as an an average Marvel film, but I disagree with the notion that most Marvel films are themselves average.  They're entertaining,  fun films that know what they are and how to appeal to a wide audience. They've all been entertaining in their own right.

34 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

They're entertaining,  fun films that know what they are and how to appeal to a wide audience. They've all been entertaining in their own right.

This pretty much describes Aquaman. It’s biggest drawback is the long run time and it’s not like marvel knocks it out of the park with the writing (not saying their writing is bad) besides a handful of their movies.