Aquaman (12/21/18) - Tomatometer Watch

Pikachu

11 hours ago, johnny said:

I agree.

Jason Mamoa excels and he and Heard play really well off of each other. It’s not winning an Oscar for writing but it’s pretty easy to overlook besides a couple out of place lines imo. 

Exactly... and while the plot was nothing special it kept my interest. This was a fun movie that was well directed. I hope it doesn't fall victim to internet pile on syndrome.

7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Exactly... and while the plot was nothing special it kept my interest. This was a fun movie that was well directed. I hope it doesn't fall victim to internet pile on syndrome.

I think it will do fine, and for a non-Batman DC flick it's definitely one of the better ones. It just felt a bit off to me. A little too long, and it also kind of almost felt like several movies/genres in one. 

I'm probably gonna get killed for saying this, but I'm kinda disappointed this did well and I haven't seen it.

My reason for that is this - I really like a lot of DC characters and I think DC has done a terrible job with this movie 'universe' they have created.  However as long as WW and now Aquaman are making money it is just going to delay rebooting the whole larger mess so that someone else can have a shot at creating a better Superman/Batman.

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It's a fun movie... so much for superhero fatigue. Again. The guys I saw it with nit-picked this movie to DEATH. So much that I was like "why did you guys even bother coming?" Is it citizen Kaine? No, but it accomplishes what it sets out to do and I think it has a great visual aesthetic. 

Agreed, though I thought it was laughable that Aquaman and Mera were sailing around in a boat.

It was a super fun movie and while the quality varied a little there wasn’t anything that happened that I could say I didn’t like.

The tonal shifts reminded me of some Chinese flicks I’ve seen (particularly Stephen Chow’s JOURNEY TO THE WEST, which also blends high adventure and fantastic horror) so maybe not all that surprising that it’s doing so well there.

Momoa is a potential megastar, I hope he has a better agent than The Rock. Heard is fine but the role doesn’t ask a lot from her so she can’t really stretch her acting legs here. Great to see Lundgren really getting back into the swing of things, and turns out he’s a great actor too (although again this role doesn’t have a lot for him). Really enjoyed Wilson as Orm, we get to see some more of his range here, I really bought Orm as being driven by a sadness over what’s happened to his mother and his land (sea). Yahya was quite menacing, doing that with just your voice ain’t easy. 

AQUAMAN is basically all I ask from a superhero movie — that it do at least the minimum to have an engaging story with something to say and have some fun telling the story. It was more than the minimum too and wound up being quite a nice time in the theater. Wan is particularly talented with action sequences and atmosphere and takes a movie that’s pretty good and at times elevates it to greatness.

• 2 weeks later...

Heading into Aquaman I was ready for a big dumb fun movie, and what I got was bigger and dumber and bigger and dumber than I could have expected. With the amount of plot and exposition and locations and everything this movie does, it felt constrained by its bloated 143 minute runtime. It plays like all three Star Wars prequels compressed into one film directed by Michael Bay the day after he discovered what a virtual cameras could do. The camera moves are often impressive, but they're just as often dizzying flair for flair's sake. 

Aquaman isn't as bad as Batman Vs Superman or Justice League, and that is largely thanks to an attempt to have fun, rather than the dour tones of earlier DC films. Unfortunately I was never able to have as much fun as the film itself wanted me to.