Amazon Studios - "The Wheel of Time" Official Thread - Season 2 release date: 1 Sept 2023

On 8/19/2021 at 6:57 AM, Mercury33 said:

Certainly sounds good. Awesome that it got a good budget right off the bat. Everything from the photos looks great. I will say I pictured Moraine looking a bit more ethereal than she does in that cover photo but that’s probably just on me haha

I really like her casting not so sure about some others...

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Gotta admit that I pictured him a bit less... Skinny.

Yeah I thought he was a fucking tank in man form.

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

Really? I certainly didn’t picture him the way they cast him but I didn’t picture him as some mountain of a man. Just kinda a standard Knight type character. Built like a less pretty Jamie Lannister or something 

Rand is 6'6 and Lan is at least as tall as him, if not a little bigger. There are other instances in the books, but the sword practicing fight at the beginning of The Great Hunt describes them in that way, I believe. I would have to go back and read it, but it basically describes the two as comparible in height, with Lan being built a little bigger(which would make sense, since Rand is still a teenager at that point). That's why I say at least 6'6, and maybe even taller. And from all physical portrayals(not canon, but there is a reason he is depicted that way over and over) he is not thick like a Shaq or Big Show, and he's not lanky. He's like a Undertaker or LeBron James where he looks like a normal sized, but very fit and muscular person....just half a foot taller than most everyone else.

Moraine is repeatedly described as "short, even by Cairhiran standards", who are known as Randland's most diminutive people. Likely makes her 5'0 if not a little shorter. Imagine if someone said a Japaness woman was short even by Japanese female standards.

And it does play a part in the series. Moiraine is basically the lead of the series for the first three books. She is the most powerful good guy in the first three books. Her power level compared to her physical size is used as a sort of microcosm for the whole theme of the series that females are the dominant sex in Randland despite their relative physical size and contrary to our world.

Edit: Just fyi, I am reading that Jordan confirmed Rand is 6'5 or 6'6. Not sure if he confirmed anyone else, but using things like the RPG and other comparisons Mat is '6 or a little under and more lanky(but still not skinny). Perrin is 6'2 or a little taller and not just tall, but built huge. Like a Brock Lesnar or Batista.

Huh I had it completely backwards haha. Granted I’m only halfway through book 2. I pictured Moraine as tall and ethereal kinda like Galadriel. And I guess I pictured Lan like Aragorn. Rand I knew was very tall and athletically built. Matt smaller and more slender and Perrin normal tall and built like a linebacker. So at least I got the three boys right lol. 

although I guess based on the cover of the first book I should have guessed I was way off on Moraine 😂

Yeah, Lan and Rand are notably tall and Moiraine is supposed to be tiny. Perrin is built like a brick shithouse, and Mat I think is a little taller than average and kinda lanky.

I think this stuff matters way less when represented on film, where unless they're making a point of someone being hobbit sized, everyone is filmed in a way to have them appear generally close to the same height.

Kiefer Sutherland is about my height, 5'7", and he wasn't running around looking up at everyone on 24 :p 

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2021 at 7:38 PM, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah, Lan and Rand are notably tall and Moiraine is supposed to be tiny. Perrin is built like a brick shithouse, and Mat I think is a little taller than average and kinda lanky.

I think this stuff matters way less when represented on film, where unless they're making a point of someone being hobbit sized, everyone is filmed in a way to have them appear generally close to the same height.

Kiefer Sutherland is about my height, 5'7", and he wasn't running around looking up at everyone on 24 :p 

Yeah, Richard Armitage also isn't 4' tall. Pretty sure none of it will matter.

I always find these height discussions strange. Its tv, if at all possible they want them all framed closely in height.

• 2 weeks later...
  • GeneticBlueprint changed the title to Amazon Studios - "The Wheel of Time" - UPDATE: Teaser Trailer and Release Date (19 Nov 2021)
4 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I agree it's generic, but it doesn't look bad. I can live with bland if it's otherwise well done.

Yes.

There were some really cool elements in the trailer I think are worth mentioning: the Fade looks scary as hell. Shadar Logoth and Tar Valon look really well done. Definitely excited for the show.

All the other visual elements were screaming that forgettable MTV fantasy show, though.

I dunno I think it looked fine for a teaser. Seemed like most of what they showed is from the beginning of book 1 which makes sense. I think when you cast young unknowns it’s always gonna give a bit of a “young adult” vibe until you really get into the show and can see the performances. The locations itself I thought fit. I mean it’s a teaser so it’s meant to appeal to a pretty broad audience. So showing some sweeping landscape shots a la LotR makes sense. And honestly the world itself isn’t really that remarkable until you get deeper into the story/things you wouldn’t show in a teaser. 

I know they said they’re going to adapt the whole story and not just go linear through the books. As someone who hasn’t read all the books plus I’m curious how far into the story they’re going to pull, what’s the furthest into the story you saw from that? I def saw some stuff from close to the middle of book 2. Anyone see anything from further on?

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

This looked fine. I’m glad that it’s colorful.

As far as it having a young adult vibe… uh the whole series does, so that’s kind of to be expected, no?

Sorta, I don’t think I’d classify the books as Young Adult simply because the writing is a better quality. But for a teaser that’s purpose is to show off the main cast(who are basically all teenagers) with no dialogue. Yeah I think that vibe is to be a bit expected. I just don’t don’t get the visuals comment. I don’t think it looked any better or worse than any other top tier fantasy show that’s come out. Especially since they didn’t really show of some of the more fantastical scenes/locations/characters. 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Sorta, I don’t think I’d classify the books as Young Adult simply because the writing is a better quality. But for a teaser that’s purpose is to show off the main cast(who are basically all teenagers) with no dialogue. Yeah I think that vibe is to be a bit expected. I just don’t don’t get the visuals comment. I don’t think it looked any better or worse than any other top tier fantasy show that’s come out. Especially since they didn’t really show of some of the more fantastical scenes/locations/characters. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don’t think young adult as a label is indicative of quality at all, any more than “fantasy” or “sci fi” is; it just indicates the target market. I suppose the WoT series isn’t STRICTLY young adult, but the characters fall within the tail end of the age range typically found in YA books, the main characters spend an awful lot of time reflecting on relationships and romance, there are strong coming of age vibes throughout the first half of the series at least, etc.

Maybe I’m biased because I started reading the books when I was 13, who knows. :p

23 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don’t think young adult as a label is indicative of quality at all, any more than “fantasy” or “sci fi” is; it just indicates the target market. I suppose the WoT series isn’t STRICTLY young adult, but the characters fall within the tail end of the age range typically found in YA books, the main characters spend an awful lot of time reflecting on relationships and romance, there are strong coming of age vibes throughout the first half of the series at least, etc.

Maybe I’m biased because I started reading the books when I was 13, who knows. :p

Oh agreed. There’s some really high quality YA stuff out there. Honestly when actually trying to think about it I’m not sure what really defines YA at this point. It seems like anything fantasy has been dumped into that category at this point. Like 90% of fantasy features a young protagonist haha. I guess I define it more

as the style and complexity of the writing? To me YA are kind of meant to be easy pick up and reads that cap out closer to that 3/400 range with relatively easy vocabulary. When you get into stuff that’s 800 pages and you gotta look up words from time to time that isn’t YA. As far as content most fantasy tropes(like the ones you mentioned) are also YA tropes so yeah. In the end it doesn’t matter. YA shouldn’t have the stigma for lower quality that it does. so something looking YA simply because the main characters are teenagers and thus inherently means it’s not good doesn’t make sense to me. 

I feel like that was a rambling nonsensical post but whatever haha

I'm worried that it's going to be Shannara with a bigger budget. Poor acting and casting decisions could wreck the show even if it has a high budget and decent writing.

Overall I'm neutral on the trailer. It doesn't make me feel any better or any worse about the show, but I was hoping for something more.

1 hour ago, Massdriver said:

I'm worried that it's going to be Shannara with a bigger budget. Poor acting and casting decisions could wreck the show even if it has a high budget and decent writing.

Overall I'm neutral on the trailer. It doesn't make me feel any better or any worse about the show, but I was hoping for something more.

That's the one whose name I forgot and couldn't be bothered to Google. Thanks. Agreed with all of this.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Amazon Studios - "The Wheel of Time" - UPDATE: "Winespring Inn" clip (19 Nov 2021)
5 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Not much to pull from that other than it looks fantastic IMO. Rosamund Pike will crush the role of Moraine I’m sure. I like the looks of the other characters(Lan so/so) especially the 3 boys. We’ll see how they do. 

Yeah I was super excited with Pike as Moraine seems perfect. I'm concerned they had to recast Matt for the second season. I really hope this hits near Game of Throne popularity and we get the entire series :pray:

6 hours ago, DPCyric said:

Yeah I was super excited with Pike as Moraine seems perfect. I'm concerned they had to recast Matt for the second season. I really hope this hits near Game of Throne popularity and we get the entire series :pray:

I would love for it to be that popular but I’ll be satisfied if it’s just good and we get the whole series haha. I’ll say I’m more confident in that with it coming from Prime than Amazon. They’re a bit better about letting shows run to the end. 

Im a but concerned about the Matt thing as well. However, 

Spoiler

Given the physical changes to Matt as a result of the dagger I think he’s the one character they could get away with it

On 10/9/2021 at 7:10 AM, Mercury33 said:

Im a but concerned about the Matt thing as well. However, 

Reveal hidden contents

That's a fair point I haven't looked into it has he said why he wasn't coming back for season 2? I really hated Matt for awhile but he developed into one of my favorite characters so I hope the new actor knocks it out of the park.

4 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

The poster they revealed today is badass. Also if anyone gets a chance to watch the comic con panel they just did, it’s pretty good and I think will lift a lot of fears that this is going to be bad 

I've honestly expected this to be pretty good Amazon's content has generally been the best of the streaming services. I don't necessarily like all of it but I definitely see the care and quality in it.

amazon-wheel-of-time-gq-november-2021-01
WWW.GQ.COM

Jeff Bezos’s epic quest to bring a beloved series of fantasy novels to life—and maybe change the face of global television forever.

As legend has it, a few years back, Jeff Bezos demanded that his team at Amazon Studios create a fantasy epic that would put Game of Thrones to shame. Turns out, that kind of thing is even harder to do than it sounds. And more expensive than you can imagine. Inside the epic quest to bring Wheel of Time to life—and maybe change the face of global television forever.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Amazon Studios - "The Wheel of Time" (19 November 2021) - UPDATE: "Inside Wheel of Time, Amazon’s Huge Gamble on the Next Game of Thrones" (GQ)

That’s a great article. The passion is certainly there. I dunno how many people here follow them on Twitter but they’ve released a bunch of small clips and it looks utterly fantastic so far. I think aiming to be a cultural phenomenon like GoT is an insane goal, I think at the very least this show is going to be very good.