Jump to content

Amazon Studios - "The Wheel of Time" - UPDATE: "Winespring Inn" clip (19 Nov 2021)


Recommended Posts

On 10/4/2018 at 1:41 PM, GeneticBlueprint said:

 

Brace yourselves, books 5-8 are coming.

 

Wait wrong meme. 

 

But yeah I've heard that. 

 Books 4-7 are considered the high points with books 8 -10 being the low points (and honestly.. only 10 was garbage. 8 and 9 were considered bad because the amount of time people waited for the books with what happened in the books. If you're reading it for the first time with no wait book 8 isnt actually that bad)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Oberon said:

 Books 4-7 are considered the high points with books 8 -10 being the low points (and honestly.. only 10 was garbage. 8 and 9 were considered bad because the amount of time people waited for the books with what happened in the books. If you're reading it for the first time with no wait book 8 isnt actually that bad)

 

 

Yeah, I don't know how much Kal has actually read in the series, but your summary is more in line with how the vast majority of the WoT community feels, so don't worry too much, @GeneticBlueprint

 

Personally my favorite is The Shadow Rising(book 4) but my impression is that The Lord of Chaos(book 6) edges it out as the fan favorite of the series.

 

I have found that A Crown of Swords(book 7) often gets lumped in with 8-10 as the low point in the series. But I maintain that is more a result of its positioning then actual quality. It is a step down from LoC, but not deserving of being lumped in with other books, and people who are down on the series to begin with seem to find it convenient to throw in one more book in the bad category.

 

I also agree with you about 8 and 9. I think 9 is a good book(that ending really saves it), but 8 remains my least favorite in the series even though I agree on rereads or first timers it's not that bad. Their maligning is largely due to having to wait years in between them, but I do think there is some valid criticism that Jordan indulged himself too much with world building in these books(like the Sea Folk:beatup:). Also being a big Perrin fan, it is personally grating to start this slog just because it's when Jordan sets him to spinning his wheels in the mud(sometimes literally:doh:)

 

Crossroads of Twilight(book 10) isn't even really that bad in terms of what happens, it's just not a real book. Jordan had obviously bitten off more than he could chew in terms of complexity, and wanting to get something out, we got the shortest novel in the series that only covered, like, two weeks of in-series time.

 

The series Is long winded even in the best books, but it's worth keeping in mind that prophecy and plot twists are a huge part of the series and Jordan often lulls you into missing clues by burying them in exposition that, shall we say, entices you to skim.

 

I think this is my favorite part of WoT. Nowadays every movie and show has a rabid fan base online where someone usually figures out what is going to happen. It's impressive just how many secrets Jordan was able to keep in his pocket considering the clues he put in the series.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Yeah, I don't know how much Kal has actually read in the series, but your summary is more in line with how the vast majority of the WoT community feels, so don't worry too much, @GeneticBlueprint

 

Personally my favorite is The Shadow Rising(book 4) but my impression is that The Lord of Chaos(book 6) edges it out as the fan favorite of the series.

 

I have found that A Crown of Swords(book 7) often gets lumped in with 8-10 as the low point in the series. But I maintain that is more a result of its positioning then actual quality. It is a step down from LoC, but not deserving of being lumped in with other books, and people who are down on the series to begin with seem to find it convenient to throw in one more book in the bad category.

 

I also agree with you about 8 and 9. I think 9 is a good book(that ending really saves it), but 8 remains my least favorite in the series even though I agree on rereads or first timers it's not that bad. Their maligning is largely due to having to wait years in between them, but I do think there is some valid criticism that Jordan indulged himself too much with world building in these books(like the Sea Folk:beatup:). Also being a big Perrin fan, it is personally grating to start this slog just because it's when Jordan sets him to spinning his wheels in the mud(sometimes literally:doh:)

 

Crossroads of Twilight(book 10) isn't even really that bad in terms of what happens, it's just not a real book. Jordan had obviously bitten off more than he could chew in terms of complexity, and wanting to get something out, we got the shortest novel in the series that only covered, like, two weeks of in-series time.

 

The series Is long winded even in the best books, but it's worth keeping in mind that prophecy and plot twists are a huge part of the series and Jordan often lulls you into missing clues by burying them in exposition that, shall we say, entices you to skim.

 

I think this is my favorite part of WoT. Nowadays every movie and show has a rabid fan base online where someone usually figures out what is going to happen. It's impressive just how many secrets Jordan was able to keep in his pocket considering the clues he put in the series.

 

I think books 1 - 6 are pretty consistently enjoyable, but everything grinds to a halt for most of the rest of them, and somehow the last couple feel rushed... especially A Memory of Light. I really enjoyed WoT, but the pacing is just... fucking brutal. Some characters essentially stop developing 1/3 of the way into the series, one of whom barely MOVES for 1/3 of the whole saga. Power creep compromises a meaningful amount of world building established in the start of the series. Allegedly meaningful plot threads are either abandoned or fizzle out. A significant amount of what happens to establish the conflict happens because some of the principal characters ignore shit they shouldn't ignore based on their character and interest, and are oblivious to things they shouldn't be and are allegedly invested in.

 

It's a fine series, it's just way, way, way, too fucking long for what it is, and the stuff that allegedly justifies its length, like world building and a well developed magic system, get tossed out as soon as it's convenient.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

If I ever have a desire to read this, I should skip 8-10?

I dunno... for as much as I liked the books I find the series at large hard to recommend. The first third are really enjoyable, but I think stall and then the sprint to the end left me feeling unsatisfied.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
12 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

And we have a director. For the first two episodes at least.

 

And the director is Uta Briesewitz, who has directed episodes of Westworld, Orange is the New Black, The Deuce, Jessica Jones, Fear the Walking Dead, and upcoming episodes of Stranger Things.

 

She's done no films, but it can't be understated that the episode of Westworld she directed, "Kiksuya", is one of the best TV episodes of 2018, and arguably the best episode of Westworld to date. The script was really good, but the direction was fantastic.

 

Promising news for Wheel of Time fans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/20/2019 at 12:04 PM, Greatoneshere said:

 

She's done no films, but it can't be understated that the episode of Westworld she directed, "Kiksuya", is one of the best TV episodes of 2018, and arguably the best episode of Westworld to date. The script was really good, but the direction was fantastic.

 

Promising news for Wheel of Time fans.

I didn’t care for Westworld season 2, but some episodes I liked more than others. I don’t really remember if that was one of them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

I have not read the Wheel of Time series though I know about the author and how it wasn't finished near the end of a book series that may have went on too long etc. so I am going to have to rely on book readers whether this adaptation checks out because I'm certainly interested in the TV show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I have not read the Wheel of Time series though I know about the author and how it wasn't finished near the end of a book series that may have went on too long etc. so I am going to have to rely on book readers whether this adaptation checks out because I'm certainly interested in the TV show.

It wasn't finished, but it was well laid out. It got a little long for a two books in the middle. Otherwise, it was a great series. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I actually can't complain, except for maybe Perrin. Not because he's black, I don't give a shit about that. But because perrin is supposed to be a big, muscular blacksmith who swings a huge hammer. Otherwise, as long as they can act, I think the cast is looking pretty good. 

 

https://ca.ign.com/articles/2019/08/14/wheel-of-time-casts-rand-al-thor-nynaeve-mat-cauthon-perrin-aybara-egwene-al-vere-actors

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

I don’t know much about this series but the look of that cast gives off a serious YA adaption vibe which kind of tempers my excitement for the concept of the show. 

The series literally starts with characters who are like 16 years old. I don't know what you expected. Rand is like 20 when the whole series finishes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

I actually can't complain, except for maybe Perrin. Not because he's black, I don't give a shit about that. But because perrin is supposed to be a big, muscular blacksmith who swings a huge hammer. Otherwise, as long as they can act, I think the cast is looking pretty good. 

 

https://ca.ign.com/articles/2019/08/14/wheel-of-time-casts-rand-al-thor-nynaeve-mat-cauthon-perrin-aybara-egwene-al-vere-actors

I agree with you on Perrin.  I'm hopeful though; I didn't know the actor so I looked up some pictures of him.  He looks like he can probably bulk up a bit for the role.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I don’t know much about this series but the look of that cast gives off a serious YA adaption vibe which kind of tempers my excitement for the concept of the show. 

 

One the commenters on the Ars article about this pointed out that you need to start with younger, less well-known actors for something based on a 14 book series.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

One the commenters on the Ars article about this pointed out that you need to start with younger, less well-known actors for something based on a 14 book series.

14 books and say, 5-6 seasons worth of content. You could cover the first book competently in 3 episodes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

14 books and say, 5-6 seasons worth of content. You could cover the first book competently in 3 episodes. 

 

I mean I haven't read them, but 5-6 seasons is still long enough to get at the two main points the commenter was making: you're taking a gamble by going with older actors who look younger (because will they still look young by the end of the show?), and you need lesser-known actors so you can lock them down for the duration of the show (both so they don't leave to do something else, and so they can't super ratchet up their salary demands).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Jason said:

 

I mean I haven't read them, but 5-6 seasons is still long enough to get at the two main points the commenter was making: you're taking a gamble by going with older actors who look younger (because will they still look young by the end of the show?), and you need lesser-known actors so you can lock them down for the duration of the show (both so they don't leave to do something else, and so they can't super ratchet up their salary demands).

And again, the characters are 16 and 17 when when the books start. I can't imagine how anyone expected different. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

The series literally starts with characters who are like 16 years old. I don't know what you expected. Rand is like 20 when the whole series finishes. 

 

Again, I literally said I don’t know much about the series. But it isn’t just young casting. Nothing about the HP movies felt particularly YA to me. It’s the type of actors they cast. They’ve all got this model, empty look to them. I dunno, premise sounds cool so hopefully I’m wrong and it’s just their promotional images that look off. Just my opinion 🤷🏻‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Amazon Studios - "The Wheel of Time" - UPDATE: "Winespring Inn" clip (19 Nov 2021)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...