Jump to content

Amazon Studios - "The Wheel of Time" - UPDATE: Teaser Trailer and Release Date (19 Nov 2021)


Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Oberon said:

Rand Perrin and mat are 19 when the series starts , egwene is about 17 nyneave is about 25

 

Nyneave is older, but rand, Matt, and Perrin are not 19. The series covers about 3 years, and they are barely 20 when it finishes. None of the boys or Egwene are adult when the story starts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Nyneave is older, but rand, Matt, and Perrin are not 19. The series covers about 3 years, and they are barely 20 when it finishes. None of the boys or Egwene are adult when the story starts.

Pretty sure they are 

They were born in 978 and the series starts in 998

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 8/19/2019 at 5:56 PM, AbsolutSurgen said:

I am expecting this adaption to be as bad as the Shannara chronicles.

I am starting to suspect the same thing. I am very concerned with the production values on this. It’s Sony TV, not Amazon directly doing it, correct? I am assuming there isn’t nearly as much cash going into this as LOTR, and some of the casting looks a little MTV. 
 

I would love to be proven wrong. I want this to be good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

No release date for the first season. Let alone a trailer or even teaser images. But season 2 has begun filming.

 

wheel-of-time-2021.jpg?fit=1200%2C+9999&
WWW.TOR.COM

This week, filming began on the second season of Amazon’s The Wheel of Time—before we even have a release date or trailer for the first season. (At least there hopefully won’t be a long…

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • GeneticBlueprint changed the title to The Wheel of Time series officially picked up by Amazon Studios - Season 2 begins filming

Makes sense they'd green light a second season. As we've seen with the numbers from the LOTR show, so much of the costs are up-front one time expenses. Licensing and Initial production (CG, costumes, sets, etc.) can be a huge costs that are quickly justified by more seasons. I wouldn't think that you'd pick up a series like Wheel of Time if you really thought you'd only get one season out of it.

 

I wonder if they were waiting to hear a date for Witcher season 2 before announcing a date for this. I don't have a great sense of how much streaming services consider stuff like that, even for big releases.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • GeneticBlueprint changed the title to Amazon Studios - "The Wheel of Time" - Season 2 begins filming; Season 1 release window announced

I’m about halfway through the second book(I read sloooooooow). I enjoyed the first book but it feels like it’s hitting its stride now and I’m starting to really get into it. 
 

Curious how far into the second book the first season is gonna go. Based on the episode titles maybe 1/3 of the way?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I’m about halfway through the second book(I read sloooooooow). I enjoyed the first book but it feels like it’s hitting its stride now and I’m starting to really get into it. 
 

Curious how far into the second book the first season is gonna go. Based on the episode titles maybe 1/3 of the way?

 

I felt the same. First book seemed to crawl but I really enjoyed the second book.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FYI for those who don't want to read so many books the audiobooks are top notch. The first seasons length makes sense covering the first book. I hope the production values are up to snuff need to see some powerful magic here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

FYI for those who don't want to read so many books the audiobooks are top notch. The first seasons length makes sense covering the first book. I hope the production values are up to snuff need to see some powerful magic here.


That’s how I’m going through them. They’re very well done. 
 

And yeah when I got to those particular scenes towards the end of book one, I immediately thought “sheesh I hope the show has enough budget to do this scene properly” lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DPCyric said:

FYI for those who don't want to read so many books the audiobooks are top notch. The first seasons length makes sense covering the first book. I hope the production values are up to snuff need to see some powerful magic here.

That still involves dedicating hundreds of hours to one story, but I suppose that might help me with one reason I tend to bounce off epic fantasies: keeping track of a thousand characters and locations that all have names that look like the author’s cat walked across the keyboard. :p

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

The middle books absolutely drag to a ridiculous degree. 


I thought I read the quality doesn’t dip till around book 9. Then the final books don’t suck but the ending feels rushed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mercury33 said:


I thought I read the quality doesn’t dip till around book 9. Then the final books don’t suck but the ending feels rushed. 


Nine might be a little too late, I cannot recall exactly. There’s an absolute ton of time spent across a lot of characters, many who do very little and go essentially nowhere. Other characters also retread a lot of the same beats and / or ignore obvious threats which is frustrating given what they’re capable of.

 

I don’t know that any of them are BAD per se, but the first few books are quite good and move along briskly enough, then you’ll get whiplash at the end. Sanderson does a good enough job finishing things off but there are dangling plot threads that I’ve lingered on for all the books that get hand waved away, other stuff just… ends. 
 

It’s why I never really recommend anyone start the series? There’s so much filler. I like world building as much as the next guy and I don’t think every little thing needs to mean something. But there’s a lot here that just ends up meaning nothing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mercury33 said:


I thought I read the quality doesn’t dip till around book 9. Then the final books don’t suck but the ending feels rushed. 

 

 

I have seen opinion shift somewhat over the years, but my opinion remains that only books 8-10 are the real dip in the series.

 

 

It used to be that people would lump 7 in with the dip, but I maintain that 7 isn't really all that big of a decline, it's just that it comes right after what is arguably the pinnacle of the series 4-6.

 

What is strange to me now though is that I see a little move towards lumping 6 in with the dip. I see this mostly from newbies to the series that never had to wait for any of the books. It is weird because in my heyday with the series('98-'13) 6 was very often considered 1st or 2nd in the series. I had many debates with people insisting LoC was better that Shadow Rising. I am pleased to see that fan opinion over the years seems to have largely coalesced around what has always been my opinion, which is that Shadow Rising is the best in the series.

 

Also, I don't think the ending feels rushed. The last three books got a little sloppy on continuity at times, but I think Brandon, Maria, and Harriet did an admirable job. By that time the series was a fucking Gordian Knot of complexity. Likely the reason 8-10 saw longer times in between release and and less happening in the story(the very things that cause them to be seen as the dip) is because Jordan himself was having a difficult time navigating the quagmire he had created. Asking someone else to step in to that and stay as meticulous with continuity AND get the books out quicker than Jordan had....well, I dislike errors but I thought they were mostly forgivable.

 

Now the last book itself had an issue to me in that it concentrated too much on the battle that all felt the same. I felt it could have reveled more in destroying the world Jordan had spent so long building. It felt like Brandon and the guy who helped him research the book(whose name escapes me right now) got a little too into reading military history and decided to write more detail than heart and soul into the last book.

 

Of course, that is not for the whole book. There is definitely some good stuff in there. All in all it's a solid 8 as far as endings go. Which is pretty good considering the expectations to such an epic series.

 

 

26 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:


Nine might be a little too late, I cannot recall exactly. There’s an absolute ton of time spent across a lot of characters, many who do very little and go essentially nowhere. Other characters also retread a lot of the same beats and / or ignore obvious threats which is frustrating given what they’re capable of.

 

I don’t know that any of them are BAD per se, but the first few books are quite good and move along briskly enough, then you’ll get whiplash at the end. Sanderson does a good enough job finishing things off but there are dangling plot threads that I’ve lingered on for all the books that get hand waved away, other stuff just… ends. 
 

It’s why I never really recommend anyone start the series? There’s so much filler. I like world building as much as the next guy and I don’t think every little thing needs to mean something. But there’s a lot here that just ends up meaning nothing. 

 

 

 

I've stayed away from the fandom mostly since 2013, but I've noticed that Brandon in more recent years has been more open and blunt about just how little Jordan left him on some of the storylines. 

 

While there were some sections where paragraphs at a time were written, it sounds like there was a lot less to go on overall than was generally known in the 12-14 release window.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

 

 

I have seen opinion shift somewhat over the years, but my opinion remains that only books 8-10 are the real dip in the series.

 

 

It used to be that people would lump 7 in with the dip, but I maintain that 7 isn't really all that big of a decline, it's just that it comes right after what is arguably the pinnacle of the series 4-6.

 

What is strange to me now though is that I see a little move towards lumping 6 in with the dip. I see this mostly from newbies to the series that never had to wait for any of the books. It is weird because in my heyday with the series('98-'13) 6 was very often considered 1st or 2nd in the series. I had many debates with people insisting LoC was better that Shadow Rising. I am pleased to see that fan opinion over the years seems to have largely coalesced around what has always been my opinion, which is that Shadow Rising is the best in the series.

 

Also, I don't think the ending feels rushed. The last three books got a little sloppy on continuity at times, but I think Brandon, Maria, and Harriet did an admirable job. By that time the series was a fucking Gordian Knot of complexity. Likely the reason 8-10 saw longer times in between release and and less happening in the story(the very things that cause them to be seen as the dip) is because Jordan himself was having a difficult time navigating the quagmire he had created. Asking someone else to step in to that and stay as meticulous with continuity AND get the books out quicker than Jordan had....well, I dislike errors but I thought they were mostly forgivable.

 

Now the last book itself had an issue to me in that it concentrated too much on the battle that all felt the same. I felt it could have reveled more in destroying the world Jordan had spent so long building. It felt like Brandon and the guy who helped him research the book(whose name escapes me right now) got a little too into reading military history and decided to write more detail than heart and soul into the last book.

 

Of course, that is not for the whole book. There is definitely some good stuff in there. All in all it's a solid 8 as far as endings go. Which is pretty good considering the expectations to such an epic series.

 

 

 

 

 

I've stayed away from the fandom mostly since 2013, but I've noticed that Brandon in more recent years has been more open and blunt about just how little Jordan left him on some of the storylines. 

 

While there were some sections where paragraphs at a time were written, it sounds like there was a lot less to go on overall than was generally known in the 12-14 release window.

 

 

 

 

I always forget to consider that new readers don't have to wait between books anymore, which for sure changes the calculus of the series overall. It's still a hard sell, though. Personally I think 7 - 11 really drag, and I think it's a lot to ask someone to read a series where > 1/3 is a fucking slog. And having everything available from jump for a new reader doesn't make anything about how 

 

Spoiler

Mazrim Taim is treated by Rand at any point

 

make any sense at all, doesn't make anything about

 

Spoiler

Padan Fain

 

even remotely satisfying, etc.

 

And thinking about it more, I think I would go so far as to say that Crossroads of Twilight is actively bad, and it's almost 850 pages long. The series could be literally thousands of pages shorter, lose nothing, and gain much.

 

But you know, it's a pandemic so I wouldn't try to talk someone out of it either, just know that you're in for a lot of chop if you decide to start the whole thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Imo if you are starting the series now the only real bad book is Crossroads Of Twilight. It has no plot and is a book mean to catch everyone up.

 

Path of daggers is actually not that bad of a book. It has the really well done seanchan battle and completea the bowl of winds.  There's no mat in the book, but if you dont have to wait 2 years for his next appearance it isn't that bad of a thing.

 

 

Winters heart first half is pretty dull, but has game changing consequences at the end. 

 

If they could re edit the books, I would have the seanchan portion of book 8 added to book seven, and then rewrite and combine the rest of 8 9 and 10 into one book

 

Sanderson does an admirable job of finishing the series but there are tons of contradictory information in his books on characters, the one power, and a lot of other things. The last battle should have been a worldwide thing with dreadlords traveling all over the world using the one power to attack city centers and the light trying to protect along with a big battle but at least we got a decent ending

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I don't blame Sanderson for how things ended, there's just no way around the notion that the ending still feels rushed, doesn't really pay off the setup paved for it across thousands of pages, and it doesn't make a ton of sense given who's involved and what they're capable of. At the time I was happy it ended, which has become a stronger feeling given what happened to ASOIAF.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

 

11,898pp (PB) / 10,173pp (HB) - 4,410,036 words

 

Why would anyone do that to themselves?!?

 

Because the books are about special kids who become heroes and I could be that hero pew pew pew pew

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eh I’ve been seeing it show up at the top of “Best Fantasy Series” lists for years. When the show was announced I figured it’d be as good a time as any to give it a go. I’m mostly listening to the audio books(I’m in beer/wine sales so I’m in my car all day) and occasionally will read some of the print at night.

 

I FULLY expect this take several years for me to get through. With audio books I usually switch it up when reading series. One book of the series and then some intent totally different, then back to the next one. Usually something fun and shorter(Graveyard Book, Ready Player One, Good Omens)The only series I’ve listened to straight through is Warlord Chronicles because that series is fucking flawless. 


Im honestly kind of excited for it to take so long. I feel like the end will really feel like the end of a journey personally to go along with the journey in the books. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Certainly sounds good. Awesome that it got a good budget right off the bat. Everything from the photos looks great. I will say I pictured Moraine looking a bit more ethereal than she does in that cover photo but that’s probably just on me haha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2021 at 8:14 PM, GeneticBlueprint said:
image?q=85&c=sc&rect=0%2C0%2C2000%2C1000
EW.COM

Showrunner Rafe Judkins previews his TV take on Robert Jordan's best-selling novel series 'The Wheel of Time,' starring Rosamund Pike.

 

Pretty good write up and new images.

 

 

Lan is supposed to be nearly 2 feet taller than Moiraine :lol:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • GeneticBlueprint changed the title to Amazon Studios - "The Wheel of Time" - UPDATE: Teaser Trailer and Release Date (19 Nov 2021)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...