Amazon Studios - "The Wheel of Time" Official Thread - Season 2 release date: 1 Sept 2023

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I wish the same effort had been put into Foundation (in terms of doing the original ideas justice, not just throwing money at it for production values). You need people at the helm that understand the original work...not David S. Goyer.

Plus keeping Jared Harris too busy to be on The Expanse. :(

11 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I wish the same effort had been put into Foundation (in terms of doing the original ideas justice, not just throwing money at it for production values). You need people at the helm that understand the original work...not David S. Goyer.

I vetted the writers' room under showrunners David S. Goyer (who I do not like) and Josh Friedman (who did Sarah Connor Chronicles) and I have to say the writers' room have written episodes for some good shows. I've really enjoyed Foundation so far, though it's bigger than a straight adaption of the first book. I'm a fan of the books, but the show has been mostly great in its own right, I've thought.

11 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I vetted the writers' room under showrunners David S. Goyer (who I do not like) and Josh Friedman (who did Sarah Connor Chronicles) and I have to say the writers' room have written episodes for some good shows. I've really enjoyed Foundation so far, though it's bigger than a straight adaption of the first book. I'm a fan of the books, but the show has been mostly great in its own right, I've thought.

Agreed. I haven’t read the books but the show has been really fantastic so far. From what I understand Empire isn’t really featured as heavily in the main books? They show up more in the prequels? So if all the stuff with empire is different and has been added to the show, Bra-fucking-vo!!! Cause that shit is incredible. 

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Agreed. I haven’t read the books but the show has been really fantastic so far. From what I understand Empire isn’t really featured as heavily in the main books? They show up more in the prequels? So if all the stuff with empire is different and has been added to the show, Bra-fucking-vo!!! Cause that shit is incredible. 

Yeah, a lot of the stuff that fleshes out the empire are in Asimov's two prequel books rather than from the main original trilogy. And while they are adapting the main original trilogy stuff on Terminus, it's been fleshed out and expanded and changed due to this being a serial narrative rather than how the books work, but it's still all there more or less.

On 10/20/2021 at 9:18 PM, Greatoneshere said:

Correct. I've never read the books. And I think the show is great.

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

For those of you who haven't read the books, I definitely recommend them - but the show is indeed great so far.

I plan to watch it eventually. Apple TV isn’t one of my static subscriptions, so I will subscribe eventually for a month or two and binge the best shows. I’m looking forward to it. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Amazon Studios - "The Wheel of Time" (19 November 2021) - UPDATE: "Moiraine's Quest" video

I wonder if the first season will be more from Moraine’s perspective. Could be a smart change from the books since the show would feature its biggest name more prominently and you can drag out the secret of who the Dragon Reborn is still closer to the end of the season. Since in the book it’s pretty obvious who it is by chapter 2/3. 

3 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I wonder if the first season will be more from Moraine’s perspective. Could be a smart change from the books since the show would feature its biggest name more prominently and you can drag out the secret of who the Dragon Reborn is still closer to the end of the season. Since in the book it’s pretty obvious who it is by chapter 2/3. 

Early on they announced she is the lead of the series.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Amazon Studios - "The Wheel of Time" (19 November 2021) - UPDATE: Main Trailer 360 Experience
  • 2 weeks later...
wheeloftime-episodes1-3-blogroll-1-16369
WWW.IGN.COM

Amazon Prime Video’s The Wheel of Time provides an excellent adaptation of the Robert Jordan series that could be a true successor to Game of Thrones.

211112-wheeloftime2.jpg
WWW.TVGUIDE.COM

Amazon Prime Video's adaptation of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time gets off to a slow start, but as the episodes build, a new fantasy heavyweight emerges.

wheel-of-time-1x02-1.jpg?w=620
TVLINE.COM

Prime Video's ambitious "The Wheel of Time" gets off to a promising start, but risks getting a little TOO ahead of itself.

WOFT_S1_UT_102_191105_THIJAN_00081_1.JPG
WWW.POLYGON.COM

Newcomers and dragonsworn alike should click with this

moiraine-wheel-of-time-102.jpg?quality=9
DECIDER.COM

But will the average TV fan find the Amazon show as enchanting?

wheel of time.jpg?format=jpg&quality=80&
WWW.EMPIREONLINE.COM

Robert Jordan's epic fantasy finally makes is way to the screen, getting the big budget series treatment from Amazon. Read the Empire review.

the-wheel-of-time-amazon-image-social-fe
COLLIDER.COM

The first three episodes of 'The Wheel of Time' premiere November 19 on Prime Video.

WOFT_S1_UT_102_191105_THIJAN_00081_1.JPG
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills.

Wheel-of-Time-Amazon-Rosamund-Pike.jpg?w
WWW.INDIEWIRE.COM

In what feels like Amazon lowering the bar before "Lord of the Rings," "Wheel of Time" works fine as a frivolous diversion but nothing more.

WOFT_S1_UT_106_200210_THIJAN_00699r_v2C.
WWW.ROLLINGSTONE.COM

Amazon adaptation of Robert Jordan's beloved fantasy book series offers lovely scenery and little else. Read Alan Sepinwall's review.

The-Wheel-of-Time-5.jpeg?w=1280&h=768&q=
ENTERTAINMENT.IE

‘The Wheel of Time’ already has an illustrious history mapped out in its fourteen books written by Robert Jordan. It’s the best selling fantasy book in the worl...

Wheel-of-Time-1.jpg?w=1000
VARIETY.COM

Amazon Prime Video's new series stars Rosamund Pike in a cryptic role

29eb59d73177c15278c5b9a0f4971df7.jpg
GIZMODO.COM

Somehow, Amazon's adaptation of Robert Jordan's epic fantasy series still works. Rosamund Pike, Daniel Henney, and more star. It begins streaming November 19.

wot-hed-cast.jpg
COMICBOOK.COM

Amazon Prime's The Wheel of Time finds a balance between captivating storytelling and unveiling [...]

the-wheel-of-time-new-poster-social-feat
WWW.JOBLO.COM

We review Prime Video's epic fantasy series The Wheel of Time starring Rosamund Pike, based on the novels by Robert Jordan.

wheeloftimes1e1.11-scaled.jpg
NERDBOT.COM

Trying to think of how to review something you've been a fan of, looking forward to, and are ultimately baffled by is difficult. That's not to say Amazon

Wheel-of-Time-Header.jpg
YOURMONEYGEEK.COM

November 16, 2021 The first three episodes of Prime Video’s ambitious adaptation of Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time have arrived on the streamer. For those

the-wheel-of-time-rosamund-pike.jpg?qual
CONSEQUENCE.NET

While perhaps more accessible to fans of the books, Robert Jordan's rich fantasy world comes alive in this series.

PRC_210584244_1637086642.jpg?quality=90&
METRO.CO.UK

Robert Jordan's beloved book series is brought to life.

87914347-0b19-476c-aeb5-18407101c20d-wot
WWW.INVERSE.COM

Amazon’s new fantasy series accomplishes something rare for its genre. Here's an important way 'The Wheel of Time' improves upon its source material.

wheeltime_3627873b.jpg
WWW.GAMEREACTOR.EU

Amazon Studios' adaptation of Robert Jordan's fantasy epic has moments of greatness but struggles to balance the weight of the source material.

Moiraine-Wheel-of-Time-a6922d2.jpg?quali
WWW.RADIOTIMES.COM

Fans might grumble over a few missing parts of the books, but this is an accomplished and gripping retelling of Robert Jordan’s original novels.

TELEMMGLPICT000276670136_trans_NvBQzQNjv
WWW.TELEGRAPH.CO.UK

Amazon's adaptation of Robert Jordan's 14-volume fantasy epic feels fresh and majestic – but it all looks a bit Comic Con

The_Wheel_of_Time-1014x570.jpg
WWW.TVINSIDER.COM

Robert Jordan's epic series of fantasy novels is adapted for streaming, starring Rosamund Pike as sorceress Moiraine, seeking to save the world from darkness.

Wheel_of_Time_e010203.jpg
WWW.MURPHYSMULTIVERSE.COM

Amazon's Wheel of Time series falters at times, but when it regains its footing it manages to be a strong adaption of a beloved series.

newFile-5.jpg?width=1200&auto=webp&quali
WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Shows like ‘Game of Thrones’ and Amazon’s new fantasy epic are breaking the bank when it comes to TV budgets. But, asks Ed Cumming, can they really match the tin-pot charm of British shows made on the cheap?

The_Wheel_of_Time_review-featured.jpg
WWW.FILMLORE.NO

The Wheel of Time is a new fantasy series coming to Amazing Prime Video, based on the works and world of Robert Jordan.

After skimming through some reviews, it seems like a common theme is pacing issues. It seems rushed in many respects. It may have needed 10 or even 12 episode seasons. I guess I'll see what I think later this week! 

Edit: Other common themes, mediocre to poor CGI but decent practical effects.

38 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I still maintain that the first book specifically could be done in a tight 2 hour movie, if they stretch it to most of or MORE than a whole season, I don't know what they're thinking.

Well they’ve said they’re will be things included from as far as book 3. That they’re not just straight up adapting the story from the books as is, they’re pulling stuff in from different places if they think it works. 

As far as pacing stuff, it’s certainly possible. But some of those reviews say it goes too fast and some say too slow. So as with any weekly release show, I think pacing can’t really be judged until you see the season in its entirety. 

Regarding all the reviews and write-ups I've gone through over the past month or so in anticipation of this show: You know what's going to make Wheel of Time (or any fantasy show) a true successor to Game of Thrones? When people stop saying 'the next/successor to Game of Thrones' about whatever show it is they're wanting to be that. I get the comparisons now before we've seen it. Surely when the show version of Game of Thrones was starting there were plenty of "Lord of the Rings" comparisons. But once the show came out and did its own thing virtually nobody compared it to that anymore in any meaningful way. But if we get two seasons into this and people are still comparing it to GoT then... this show ain't the next GoT.

6 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Regarding all the reviews and write-ups I've gone through over the past month or so in anticipation of this show: You know what's going to make Wheel of Time (or any fantasy show) a true successor to Game of Thrones? When people stop saying 'the next/successor to Game of Thrones' about whatever show it is they're wanting to be that. I get the comparisons now before we've seen it. Surely when the show version of Game of Thrones was starting there were plenty of "Lord of the Rings" comparisons. But once the show came out and did its own thing virtually nobody compared it to that anymore in any meaningful way. But if we get two seasons into this and people are still comparing it to GoT then... this show ain't the next GoT.

Exactly. Although it will be super interesting to see how it plays out since the first book is very much like Fellowship on purpose. And then later you’ll get to the literal inspiration for Game of Thrones. So I’m curious how they handle those two parts. 

16 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Amazon just renewed it for Season 3 already so unless this enters all time mega Bomb territory I don’t think they care and we’re gonna get this story. 

9 hours ago, Massdriver said:
WWW.BLOOMBERG.COM

Bloomberg has a pretty positive review up. 

The reviews are high enough to not sink the show before it gets out the gate which gives it a fighting chance to get some viewership. 

This might be a little counterintuitive, but I think Amazon coming out and saying they’re committing to at least three seasons might help get people on board. Especially with a story of this scale, people might be more forgiving of an uneven start if they know the show will have time to build and resolve. 

First episode was good. I didn’t feel that particular episode was rushed. There’s def a good number of changes and for the most part I think they make sense. 

Spoiler

Aging them up makes sense. Rand and Egweyne already having relationship I think makes a lot more sense then the way it was danced around in the books. Gives them bigger stakes. 

Perin being married and killing his wife I think makes sense to give him hesitancy to use violence/the axe maybe even explain why he’s withdrawn but I don’t think it was executed well. 

Nynaeve being taken was interesting. Curious to see how that plays out as that’s a huge change. 

Lots of little motivations were left out so we’ll see how that all plays out. I was bummed they didn’t do much with Rands connection to his dad and the mystery of his birth but that gets dropped pretty quick in the books so it’s probably not necessary. 

Overall I enjoyed the first episode, excited to see the next two

Really liked the first 2 episodes, going to watch the 3rd tonight. Really liking mat, especially with what he did with he girls, but wished they showed him fighting a trolloc to save them or something (ad peering and rand both face the trollocs)

Few nitpicks here and there as a fan of the books, but just seeing it on the screen brought a huge smile to my face. Very excited for episode 3 :)