Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden | Official Thread of Anthropomorphic XCOM

Pikachu

COMING TO PC, PLAYSTATION 4, AND XBOX ONE DEC 4 2018!
Developed by The Bearded Ladies, published by Funcom.

PC pre-order on http://www.mutantyearzero.com

Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden is a tactical adventure game combining the turn-based combat of XCOM with story, exploration, stealth, and strategy. Take control of a team of Mutants navigating a post-human Earth. Created by a team including former HITMAN leads and the designer of PAYDAY.

• TACTICAL COMBAT: Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden is the ultimate fix for your tactical strategy addiction. Dive into a deep, turn-based, tactical combat system inspired by the XCOM games. 

• EXPLORE A POST-HUMAN EARTH: Journey through a post-human world of abandoned cities, crumbling highways, and overgrown countryside. Check back at the Ark, a neon-bathed oasis of ill repute and questionable characters, to restock your supplies and plan out your next adventure.

• CONTROL A TEAM OF MUTANTS: A duck with an attitude problem and a boar with anger issues; these aren’t your typical heroes. Get to know Dux, Bormin, Selma, and many other characters each with their own unique personality and deranged perspective on the world and their situation.

• MASTER THE STEALTHY APPROACH: Sneak through shadows to avoid conflict or to catch enemies unaware. Real-time stealth allows you full control of approach: sneak into an enemy camp, position the team of Mutants to your advantage, and gain the element of surprise.

• UNLOCK MUTATIONS: Unlock new mutations and abilities for your Mutants, such as Selma’s Stoneskin, Bormin’s Charge, and Dux‘ uncanny ability to sneak into a camp full of enemies unnoticed, despite being a 4-foot tall walking, talking duck with a crossbow.

• DYNAMIC ENVIRONMENTS: Use the environment to your advantage. Stay out of floodlights, hide from line of sight, or just blast down fully destructible walls and buildings and wreak utter havoc. 

• LOOT, LOOT EVERYWHERE: From makeshift slingshots to high-powered rifles and top hats to police vests, make sure you equip your Mutants for the dangers ahead. Nothing says post-human quite like a mutated boar in spiked metal armor charging at you with a blunderbuss in his hands. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm kind of excited.  This game is one of the reasons I just pulled the trigger on game pass (a year for $70).  I was planning on buying this right away - but with it debuting on Game pass - plus all the other games coming out in the next year (plus FH4 which I haven't played yet) this was an easy call.

1 hour ago, number305 said:

I'm kind of excited.  This game is one of the reasons I just pulled the trigger on game pass (a year for $70).  I was planning on buying this right away - but with it debuting on Game pass - plus all the other games coming out in the next year (plus FH4 which I haven't played yet) this was an easy call.

This is one Game pass? I'm in.

Review scores are ranging from the mid-7s to the low 8s, which, despite me being excited for this game, are much higher than I was expecting. I always kind of expect a title that looks cool like this to end up having really crippling flaws like awful tech performance or being terribly shallow. Like how I thought Mario + Rabbids looked neat (though it still got good reviews) but then it was like a shitty, poor man's XCOM, and is apparently much better if you think of it as more of a puzzle game than an XCOM-style strategy game. This feels like an interesting new take on the genre. Like, on the surface it's actually really similar to Mario + Rabbids except the world isn't this series of sad, empty hallways with the occasional bad puzzle and nothing but shitty Rabbids jokes about farting and shitting to keep you entertained.

So I played about 2 1/2 hours last night.  Played on Xbox one X.  

For some reason on xbox it is a little bit glitchy.  It isn't anything that breaks the game but for me every few minutes there is just like a pause while you are moving.  A couple of times the sound would go out for a second and come back.  This stuff can hopefully be patched.  Also the text for this game is made for PC.  Super hard to read the little text if you are sitting back on a couch looking at a TV - and that does take some away from the game.  Again hopefully they can do something about that for consoles.  

The gameplay is very good.  It is hard.  Even with lots of Xcom experience this is a tough game.  Expect to die a lot.  You need to scope everything out very carefully and kill anyone that you can that is far enough away to not alert everyone else.  I have died a few times because I didn't notice someone and when the fight started I was already flanked.  Your group size is three and if you are fighting and equal or greater number of enemies you had best have a very good plan, or you will be quickly reloading your save.

The tabletop lore behind Mutant Year Zero's gun-toting animals and psionic doomsday cultists (PC Gamer)

A pig, a duck, and a mutant walk into a bar. Pripp’s Bar, to be precise, located on The Ark, the last safe haven amid the crumbling ruins of a world ravaged by global nuclear warfare and a deadly pandemic. That's a scene that'll play out a few hours into Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden, but it just as likely could've happened more than 30 years ago. The new game translates the Swedish tabletop RPG Mutant, originally published in 1984, into an XCOM-like tactical strategy game.

17 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Anybody else playing this? damn it's tough... I started on the next difficulty up from standard. Gotta do a fair amount of grinding. Enjoying it though.

How far in are you?  Seemed to me that later in the game things got easier with more skills available.  

I really like the game.  A little disappointed with the lack of differentiation between characters.  It feels a little once all the perks open up that you only have two characters.  Tanks and Snipers.  

Just now, number305 said:

How far in are you?  Seemed to me that later in the game things got easier with more skills available.  

I really like the game.  A little disappointed with the lack of differentiation between characters.  It feels a little once all the perks open up that you only have two characters.  Tanks and Snipers.  

I'm not very far... only level 13 or so. Still leveling up and trying to beat some of the encounters.

20 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm not very far... only level 13 or so. Still leveling up and trying to beat some of the encounters.

There are a few abilities that let you freeze enemies for one or more moves.  Those are super helpful, especially one is an area effect so you can freeze a group of enemies.  That and just getting more powerful guns. 

Make sure you pay attention to the map.  There are a few area's that are somewhat easy to miss.  They generally don't go anywhere but they they have lots of loot to pick up and enemies to fight to help level up a few times.