The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

14 hours ago, ort said:

I've been enjoying this, but also feel like all of the action scenes are way too over-the-top.

Why does it have to be like 50 bounty hunters? Why did they have to shoot through like 50 dudes in the first episode? Make him a normal person and put him up against 5 or 6. You can still make that tense.

It just makes everything feel a little silly. And yes I know this is Star Wars, but at some point, you're just like... okay, yeah... no, this is too much.

And then why couldn't he take out a few jawas? We've seen that he's a superman capable of taking on entire platoons of trained soldiers, but a few jawas? Whoa there. Impossible.

What's the deal with the trackers too? Why would bounties have tracking devices? That makes no sense. The bounty hunters were tracking him? He has a tracker on him? The cloner dudes didn't take off baby yodas tracker?

just...no

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, ort said:

Why does it have to be like 50 bounty hunters? Why did they have to shoot through like 50 dudes in the first episode? Make him a normal person and put him up against 5 or 6. You can still make that tense.

He can already go against 4 people solo. 5/6 people most likely wouldn't stop him either. His armor is very resistant to blaster shots. 

14 hours ago, ort said:

And then why couldn't he take out a few jawas? We've seen that he's a superman capable of taking on entire platoons of trained soldiers, but a few jawas? Whoa there. Impossible.

He literally had cover that standard blasters could not melt through when fighting the Guild. When he fought the Jawas he has zero cover and they instantly tased him bro. 

15 hours ago, ort said:

What's the deal with the trackers too? Why would bounties have tracking devices? That makes no sense. The bounty hunters were tracking him? He has a tracker on him? The cloner dudes didn't take off baby yodas tracker?

Why couldn't they have trackers? We don't know how they work, but they seem to simply work as long as that person exists. So, it might be a DNA thing. It is no more unrealistic than warp drives and hyper space. 

17 hours ago, ort said:

I've been enjoying this, but also feel like all of the action scenes are way too over-the-top.

It just makes everything feel a little silly. And yes I know this is Star Wars, but at some point, you're just like... okay, yeah... no, this is too much.

sad episode 4 GIF

The fob thing does warrant SOME kind of explanation, I think.

If that tech existed during the GCW era... Vader was searching for Luke Skywalker specifically, and later on was tracking Han Solo. If fobs existed then and could just tag ANYONE, presumably Vader wouldn't have needed to hire all the bounty hunters, or someone other than Boba Fett would have found Han.

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

If that tech existed during the GCW era... Vader was searching for Luke Skywalker specifically, and later on was tracking Han Solo. If fobs existed then and could just tag ANYONE, presumably Vader wouldn't have needed to hire all the bounty hunters, or someone other than Boba Fett would have found Han.

Nah just think of it like a video game prequel. Like Halo. Halo didn't have spartan lasers until Halo 3, but they were also in Reach which is before Halo CE. 

21 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Given that most of the bounties are bail jumpers, giving up DNA to the tracking fob could be a condition of bail, or otherwise incorporated into the justice system; something tells me the Empire didn't have bail or a justice system.

32 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Given that most of the bounties are bail jumpers, giving up DNA to the tracking fob could be a condition of bail, or otherwise incorporated into the justice system; something tells me the Empire didn't have bail or a justice system.

Yeah, that works. I don't think we NEED an explanation but one would be nice.

27 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

They probably won't explain how the trackers work.  However, I believe the client originally told Mando that with the tracker and the general area, he should be able to find the bounty.

So, I suspect that their effect is relatively localized.  (Tens of miles?)

that’s what I assumed as well. I think you have to be pretty damn close to the target for it to work. 

3 hours ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

Apparently there's a tough female character in episode 4 and some of the Twitter "fans" are already calling the show SJW garbage. I hate fanboys.

I mean she's been in a lot of the trailers and promotional art so.... I REALLY hate this fucked up, shallow assed Twitter culture we live in right now. Anita Sarkesian (who I didn't really mind or have an opinion on one way or the other) was trying to start shit on Twitter because she was complaining that there were no female characters "with speaking parts" in the first couple of episodes. I guess the leader of the Mandalorian Enclave didn't count :shrug:

I personally am okay mind strong female characters. I did mind, however, that this particular female character was played Gina Carano. But considering the legacy of bad acting in Star Wars, she fit right in.

This wasn’t a bad episode but I would say it’s still the weakest of the bunch. It’s the first one to feel more like a television episode than a movie.

5 hours ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

Apparently there's a tough female character in episode 4 and some of the Twitter "fans" are already calling the show SJW garbage. I hate fanboys.

I mean, it is an annoyingly common trend where the previously unstoppable male character suddenly loses to the first female character they come across. It happens all the time these days. I don't have much of an issue with it aside from finding it annoying simply because it happens all the time these days. At least in this show the chick is clearly swole and The Mandalorian doesn't seem to be physical powerhouse. 

Anyway, this EP wasn't as good as the others, and actually kinda felt like filler. Cuz Mando is back to exactly where he started at the beginning of this EP. EPs like that usually feel like a waste. If that village is never brought up again and it was just used to introduce Cara Dune then it really is just filler in a series that isn't long enough to have filler. I mean, this really fell like a quest in an RPG or MMO. 

Prepare for the Attack

- Arm the Villagers

0/10 armed 

- Train the Villagers

0/3 groups trained

- Construct the Barricades

0/5 barricades built

The first real stinker. But what irks me most about is that we are have only 4 episodes left in the season and they wasted an episode on something that didn’t move character Or plot forward to any meaningful degree hopefully episode 5 gets things going again.

42 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Hide contents

I'm assuming the point of this episode was to demonstrate why Mando can't hunker down and hide with the kid, and provide motivation/justification for him going after the client (or whatever organization is behind him).

I’m sure that is the thought, but it seems pretty well established with the ending of episode three that there will be no rest for these two, so it ends up being some real wheel spinning.

Not as good as the first 3 (that’s a high bar) but I still really enjoyed it. I liked having an episode where we got a little more character development time as well as building more of the bond between Mando and Baby Yoda. 

Uhh I don’t get any of the stupid problems people are having with the shock trooper(I don’t remember her name). She didn’t whip his ass it ended in a tie basically. She was just another highly trained warrior. If that character had been played by a man no one would have said a damn thing. Stupid.

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Not as good as the first 3 (that’s a high bar) but I still really enjoyed it. I liked having an episode where we got a little more character development time as well as building more of the bond between Mando and Baby Yoda. 

Uhh I don’t get any of the stupid problems people are having with the shock trooper(I don’t remember her name). She didn’t whip his ass it ended in a tie basically. She was just another highly trained warrior. If that character had been played by a man no one would have said a damn thing. Stupid.

Highly trained warrior, played by a former MMA fighter, and fight ends in a tie. Some people just don't like women breaking the old stereotype and it shows. 

The more I think about Episode 4, the less it holds up for me:

Spoiler

1)  The krill farm is supposed to be very remote (days of travel away from anything) on a VERY underdeveloped planet

2)  Why would Raiders setup camp just a short walk from this farm?  (i.e. there is only one place they can "raid")

3)  If the krill are very valuable, then wouldn't the farmers be wealthy from previous harvests?

While I think I understand its narrative purpose, I just find it a weak entry.  And, IMHO nowhere near the "movie quality" that was foretold.

This feels, to me, like a slightly over-produced episode of Xena (including the quality of some of the acting).